Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The Rents are what they are. The rent doesn't go up because the Apple Store moved in, the rent went up because the demographics changed to support a retailer like Apple. Chipotle or Starbucks will pay a lot of rent to be in the right area. That means demographics and traffic and everything else. And they sign 10 year leases most often...
This is insightful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Well, pray tell, what should plus-sized women be called? Perhaps Queen-sized. That has an odor of royalty, don't you think?

im not sure but im pretty sure that likening them to barnyard animals is a bad idea.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I almost exclusively wear dresses - have ever since I was about 22 and I'm 31 now. I think I'm down to two pairs of work slacks (and never seem to have a top to go with them!) and one pair of jeans.

Dresses are so much more comfortable and more versatile than pants, IMO.
They are also the hardest item of clothing to fit right because you have to find the right waist to chest/hip ratio as well as the right distance among the three for the dress to look right. If you are not a perfect hourglass and have a long or short torso, that means that it can be hard to find dresses that fit right. Skirts and pants are far more forgiving. I have a long torso and am pear shaped, so finding dresses that fit right is challenging. My sister is also a bit of a pear but has a short torso, so dresses that work on me usually look horrible on her and vice versa. Even though she is taller than I am, she can actually wear shorter dresses due to her torso length.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
As we head toward the next downturn you will see many many more of these activities happening. There is just too much cost and too much competition to run an inefficient retail operation these days.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Something happened with Dress Barn's fashion sense. At least when they first came here to southern MN their clothing was unique and boutique-y.

I loved their Roz & Ali jeans, one of the few brands I can buy off the rack which fit without altering.

Along the way it started to look dowdy and homogenized. And for what it's worth I never cared to buy clothing from a place called a dress barn. Brought pictures in my mind of a place to buy clothing for bovines. LOL
Hey, it doesn't stop Pizza Hut from selling pizzas! I used to joke about why they would call a place anything "hut". Why not Pizza Shanty? Pizza Shed? Pizza Lean-To? Pizza Wigwam? Pizza Favela?

Old 05-31-2019, 08:48 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I live in a down-town area and I hardly ever see women in dresses, in spite of 57 corporate headquarters within a few blocks.

The only time I see dresses is Saturday night, and it's almost exclusively young women. You know, date night with their boyfriend. Married couples dining out, you don't see dresses.

Well, pray tell, what should plus-sized women be called? Perhaps Queen-sized. That has an odor of royalty, don't you think?
Weather. In the south I see a lot more women wearing dresses/skirts. In the summer I saw a lot more women wearing dresses during the summer. At my office yesterday a solid 2/3 the women were wearing dresses. Its 90+ out. I noticed the same thing when I lived in MN...when summer hit more women wore dresses.

RE Plus Size/Queen Size, plus sized women can be called plus size. Or Plump or Heavy or Overweight. But implying they shop in a building used to house Cows and Pigs?

Old 06-01-2019, 04:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I'm a guy and don't shop Dress Barn but I don't see how people can realistically shop for clothes on-line. People I know that do it often end up shipping back the majority of their purchases. It seems so wasteful and the "free" shipping obviously needs to be built into the pricing including a large percentage of returns.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:02 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
so many women today dress so frumpy it's frightening.

Out of all the things to be frightened about (climate change, illness, poverty, overpopulation, inept and untrustworthy politicians, etc.) somehow women dressing frumpy doesn't make my list. Sure I notice that in old movies from fifty or more years ago, women were dressing sharper and in ways that might be more flattering---but this isn't the only thing about society that has changed.

I guess you could say that if women dress frumpy guys won't be attracted to them and procreation will decrease and the human race will die out. But you know what? Even in societies where women don't wear high heels or body-conscious dresses, people still do get involved romantically and reproduce, so all isn't lost...

Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Huh. Never even heard of it honestly.

As for the above comment, yes, most people seem to have incredibly low standards. I walk around and see these 300 pound wildebeasts with 3 kids, I have no idea how on earth anyone had sex with that. But they did. It’s baffling to me. I’m sure they could be great people and all of that, but how you could possibly find any attraction in most American women walking around, 67% of whom are overweight, I have no idea.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:28 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Hey, it doesn't stop Pizza Hut from selling pizzas! I used to joke about why they would call a place anything "hut". Why not Pizza Shanty? Pizza Shed? Pizza Lean-To? Pizza Wigwam? Pizza Favela?
So I looked it up. It turns out the original location only had room on the sign for 8 letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics