U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 05:48 PM

999 posts, read 353,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Who wears dresses today on a regular basis?
I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People don't want to buy all these clothes anymore. After the recession years, people learned to live with less, and found out it wouldn't kill them.
Yep. I try to keep a very small wardrobe of 10-15 pieces or even less. A few pairs of shorts, a few tops, a few dresses, maybe a few pairs of pants. I donate anything I don't LOVE or anything I've gotten sick of. I keep enough to fit in one small suitcase or backpack and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Amazon is flooded with garbage items of low quality. I have no idea who buys them.
I buy a lot of cheap clothes on Amazon. My view is that for most things (basic tank tops, etc) they wear out quickly anyway so I'd rather just get something cheap. I also hike and do a lot of outdoorsy stuff and I don't like having clothes that are so nice I worry about ripping or staining them. I have a few nice designer things that I keep long-term for dating and special nights out and what not, but for the most part, I get bored with my clothing after a few months anyway and donate it (or toss if worn out). So it doesn't really need to be super high quality.

I have found some really high-quality clothing on there for very cheap, though. I found some 12$ leather boots on there that I have been wearing almost daily for like 3 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'm a guy and don't shop Dress Barn but I don't see how people can realistically shop for clothes on-line.
I almost exclusively shop online. Never have I returned anything. I'd say a solid 90% of the things I buy fit perfectly. It takes some research and reading the reviews to figure out sizing. Usually I look for reviews with pictures so I can check if the woman has a similar size and body type as myself. And I read the reviews about how on or off the sizes are (for example, items from China are often WAY off and you have to buy an extra large when you normally wear a medium).

Very rarely have I had any issues, and when I do, I just donate the item. The stuff I buy is affordable, so there's really nothing lost.

Online shopping has been a dream come true for me. I always hated shopping in stores. I'm not a shopping kind of girl AT ALL. I like to hunt for a specific item versus just browsing and trying things on. So I love the convenience of being able to type in "Black and red striped bikini" or any other specific thing I want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 AM

6,219 posts, read 2,748,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I do!

Yep. I try to keep a very small wardrobe of 10-15 pieces or even less. A few pairs of shorts, a few tops, a few dresses, maybe a few pairs of pants. I donate anything I don't LOVE or anything I've gotten sick of. I keep enough to fit in one small suitcase or backpack and nothing more.

I buy a lot of cheap clothes on Amazon. My view is that for most things (basic tank tops, etc) they wear out quickly anyway so I'd rather just get something cheap. I also hike and do a lot of outdoorsy stuff and I don't like having clothes that are so nice I worry about ripping or staining them. I have a few nice designer things that I keep long-term for dating and special nights out and what not, but for the most part, I get bored with my clothing after a few months anyway and donate it (or toss if worn out). So it doesn't really need to be super high quality.

I have found some really high-quality clothing on there for very cheap, though. I found some 12$ leather boots on there that I have been wearing almost daily for like 3 years now.

I almost exclusively shop online. Never have I returned anything. I'd say a solid 90% of the things I buy fit perfectly. It takes some research and reading the reviews to figure out sizing. Usually I look for reviews with pictures so I can check if the woman has a similar size and body type as myself. And I read the reviews about how on or off the sizes are (for example, items from China are often WAY off and you have to buy an extra large when you normally wear a medium).

Very rarely have I had any issues, and when I do, I just donate the item. The stuff I buy is affordable, so there's really nothing lost.

Online shopping has been a dream come true for me. I always hated shopping in stores. I'm not a shopping kind of girl AT ALL. I like to hunt for a specific item versus just browsing and trying things on. So I love the convenience of being able to type in "Black and red striped bikini" or any other specific thing I want.
Most of my clothes do not wear out quickly. I have plenty of clothing I got 8 or even 10 years ago and none of it is particularly expensive. I can’t imagine just getting rid of it after a season because I am bored with it.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM

5,388 posts, read 3,602,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most of my clothes do not wear out quickly. I have plenty of clothing I got 8 or even 10 years ago and none of it is particularly expensive. I can’t imagine just getting rid of it after a season because I am bored with it.
Same here. Mine are even older and I definitely don't shop at high priced stores.

I'm in the south and used to live in SoCal, I wear comfy cute dresses 95% of the time. If it's chilly, I add a sweater. That said, I've never been to a Dress Barn, maybe I was the customer they were looking for.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:13 AM

10,965 posts, read 2,847,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Payless is still in its final stages. Now Dress Barn. Gymborree closed. Wonder who is next?

https://www.ctpost.com/news/ctpost/a...AsHb-JEVA9cqbo

One thing that almost all of the chains closing have in common for me is I don't think I have even been in any of them. Apparently I am not the only one.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:12 PM

999 posts, read 353,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I like change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics