Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:07 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It is an attitude of self-respect, I am too good to serve someone who thinks he is entitled to a cheap burger at 10 at night. These people make minimum wage and I personally don't think these jobs should exist or if they do exist they should be paid well and you should eat the cost, don't like it, cook your own food.

So who really is the entitled one, the one who refuses to work a McJob or the one who is too lazy to cook his own food?

I think the unintelligent ones are the ones working these jobs and giving customers civility. This is minimum or near minimum wage, you should be thrilled these places even exist and lucky some dummy is willing to waste their time at 10pm to put up with you. Being able to roll up to a drive through and get food is unprecedented in human history ... so who exactly is entitled?

Don't fall off your horse, you'll hurt yourself.

Reality is these jobs are necessary, as is the employment for these people. A large percentage of the population work jobs like this, while not all of them serve food they are just as simple or brainless. Dropping fries in oil isn't much different than filling paper or cleaning the floors or taking orders at the furniture store.

Thing is, they are people, just like you and me. I'm no better because I was a professional or made money money or did xyz. We all work together and benefit from each other. .

The day you raise yourself over others because of money or profession is the day you become a douchebag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Don't fall off your horse, you'll hurt yourself.

Reality is these jobs are necessary, as is the employment for these people. A large percentage of the population work jobs like this, while not all of them serve food they are just as simple or brainless. Dropping fries in oil isn't much different than filling paper or cleaning the floors or taking orders at the furniture store.

Thing is, they are people, just like you and me. I'm no better because I was a professional or made money money or did xyz. We all work together and benefit from each other. .

The day you raise yourself over others because of money or profession is the day you become a douchebag.
I am not better than the people working these jobs, I am better than their D bag CUSTOMERS and OWNERS of these places. People that work these jobs are one of 2 things in my mind:

1. they are not willing to leave and try to find a new job and face the consequences if they fail (trying to find another job while your working some whacked out schedule at 2-3 mcjobs does not lend itself to job hunting and skill building. These people live in fear.

2. They are high school students who have been fed the line by parents and uncles that you have to "pay your dues" when in reality there are absolutely NO redeeming qualities about these sorts of jobs - https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.0b8da2088a92

These people are, for the most part (you still have the drugged out losers out there), victims of economic warfare. These are not apprentice jobs or legitimate internships where they are learning REAL skills and being paid low wages while they learn to later be able to make big money and if someone is catching on slowly then they stay at low wages longer but the opportunity is still there. But these are dead-end go nowhere McJobs with no upside other than the owners are exploiting peoples fears of starving to death or exposure.

The existence of these jobs and the owners and customers that enable it is a threat to our society. The other component of the economic warfare is that the news is trying to feed people the line that 20/hr is "good money" so business owners try to slowly low ball people like welders, fabricators, engineers, etc to the point where very few are making truly good money. They can afford to just cut projects and wait for people to get hungry, move some H1B visa people around etc.

If the private sector is committing economic warfare the feds should be picking these people up at the rates they should be getting and tax the companies that laid them off. The only reason these low end "box lifting" jobs should exist is for people that refuse to stop being losers and doing HARD drugs or habitual users of legal drugs.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 05-30-2019 at 09:37 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
A lot of fast food/fast casual customers are straight up rude aholes too. Generally the Panera's and such will have a higher caliber customer that talks down/snobbish to the cashier, and the lower end fast food places like McD's have the opposite clientele that are rough around the edges and don't speak English well (ie comes off as very unrefined).
Yep and for the 20 seconds I worked a mcjob I gave it right back.

1. guy said in a angry tone, no chat just smokes - so I said ohhhh you look just like another guy thats not a ***. I straight up cussed at him.

2. one guy was trying to price match from costco a price point from like 3 months ago and I said no way (I did not care about the business profit margin but this guy was being smug), he got indignant and I said go to costco then, knowing they were closed because they are a half way decent company (costco is still box lifting type jobs but they do the best they can to treat employees well). The guy left in a huff, it was funny.

If someone did that at panera bread I would tell them they need to find somewhere else to go and if they are so awesome they should not even be here but have butlers making the bread for them in their estate otherwise sthu lol. Then the manager (who some think they are of the status of a NASA mission control manager) would come say some hard words, thats why I have to remind them this is a mcjob.

I never got fired I had to quit as I could not take it anymore. During the rare times I might go get subway and something annoying is happening I ask the cashier how they can even show up dealing with X (I know the answer, they live in fear).

Old 06-02-2019, 01:00 PM

341 posts, read 292,951 times
Quote:
The existence of these jobs and the owners and customers that enable it is a threat to our society.
Haven't Mcjobs been around for decades? And society hasn't collapsed. Well at least not yet, anyway.

Although I never worked at Mcd's, I have worked in a few low paying crappy service jobs when I was younger. Honestly I didn't have a problem with the work itself as much as how I was treated by both customers and the employer. Customers can be very nasty to service workers for literally no reason at all. And psychopathic managers-on-a-power-trip don't help either. It's demeaning and when you're paid the minimum they can possibly get away with paying you, just to put up with almost daily verbal abuse from either customers or managers. The only good thing that came out of it was having those experiences probably forced me to finally get my sh** together and grow up.

At this point in my life I have a nice cushy high paying job. However that said work is work and if you're not doing something that fulfills you personally then no matter what you are doing or how much you are getting paid to do it, you're basically a slave. I guess at the end of the day we're all slaves to something, just some of us have a better selection of masters to choose from.

It wouldn't let me rec more than one of your posts but you made a lot of good points in some of your other posts.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Haven't Mcjobs been around for decades? And society hasn't collapsed. Well at least not yet, anyway.
Yes and no, and good observation.

There have always been low-paid, low-security, no-future jobs. However, there haven't been the number, proportion and range of people trying to survive on them in past eras. Typically, they were supplementary-income jobs for teens and part-time mothers and the like, not careers.

We now have far too many people struggling to support themselves or a family on this substandard tier of employment... and it's only supported because we have built and can afford a vast service economy.

When coming (not "possible") changes drive down real employment, the secondary consequence will be a reduction (possibly a collapse) of service jobs... starting with McJobs. Chain reaction, and it will likely happen with terrifying speed. I would not be surprised for a self-satisfied New Years to end with soup-kitchen Christmases. I just can't say what year it will be.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:09 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
In the 70's most fast food had teenagers employed with an adult manager and adult cook.
Those McJobs weren't career jobs for us. They were p/t "first jobs". That min wage paycheck was more than what we used to get as allowance.

Today those McJobs are careers and those teens in school have a hard time finding any entry level p/t jobs.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
In the 70's most fast food had teenagers employed with an adult manager and adult cook.
Those McJobs weren't career jobs for us. They were p/t "first jobs". That min wage paycheck was more than what we used to get as allowance.

Today those McJobs are careers and those teens in school have a hard time finding any entry level p/t jobs.
Yep, everyone is going to be very sorry they supported politics that led to this situation when they have to start dealing with mass homelessness and property crimes that go unenforced.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
No I think that woman would have done that regardless of how bad she needed the money. Disgusting.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Yep, everyone is going to be very sorry they supported politics that led to this situation when they have to start dealing with mass homelessness and property crimes that go unenforced.
Exactly what politics do you think are leading things that direction?

Old 06-02-2019, 07:33 PM

341 posts, read 292,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There have always been low-paid, low-security, no-future jobs. However, there haven't been the number, proportion and range of people trying to survive on them in past eras. Typically, they were supplementary-income jobs for teens and part-time mothers and the like, not careers.
This is true, and I think this is due to a lot of factors including the elimination of a lot of middle class wage administrative and support type jobs over the last 10-20 years through technology and/or offshoring. Jobs that required some level of skill, but not enough to require any advanced education beyond HS. Where does a 40-something administrative secretary with no degree who once made a modest $45k at a large corporation go once said large corporation sacks her to meet next quarter's numbers? If she doesn't have the money (or the brains) to "retool" herself with an advanced degree for a STEM career....(which is apparently the only way out of permanent serfdom anymore) her options may be seriously limited. So she gets to compete for a Mcjob with degreed 20-somethings who can't land an entry level job because they don't have the 8 years of requisite experience the employer is demanding to qualify for said "entry level" job, lol. Then throw in the mix a few 60-somethings who can't afford to fully retire because they still haven't recovered from the recession, and you get a lot of healthy competition for those Mcjobs. Those people that need a job to keep a roof over their head then displace all of the HS students and other people that used to work at those jobs for extra income. Doesn't seem sustainable to me long term, which is why I am not totally ruling out the complete and total collapse of modern society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics