Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Some barista jobs want college degrees.
I remember a few years ago at the World Barista Championships, one of the top baristas was an ex-Wall Street Investment Banker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Marketing is much more than advertising, although advertising is the most visible component. Marketing is sort of like an iceberg, with most of it being below the surface, hidden from sight.
"Advertising is the monster's shadow."

The rest of your 101-level summary is fine, but the idea that marketing or any segment of the consumer goods industry has the consumer's interests is mind is somewhere between risible and, oh, I don't know, what would be the word for admiring anything that enriches the 0.1%? Marketing's sole focus for the last twenty years or more has been "How can we shake more valuta loose from this crowd of idiots?" Actual product need, value and worth are completely incidental to achieving that goal.

But keep it up with kindly ol' Don and Peggy really trying hard to serve your needs and improve your life, if you'd just listen to them.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
"Advertising is the monster's shadow."

The rest of your 101-level summary is fine but the idea that marketing or any segment of the consumer goods industry has the consumer's interests is mind is somewhere between risible and, oh, I don't know, what would be the word for admiring anything that enriches the 0.1%? Marketing's sole focus for the last twenty years or more has been "How can we shake more valuta loose from this crowd of idiots?" Actual product need, value and worth are completely incidental to achieving that goal.
It's so cute that you think that.

Yours is not an original thought, of course; I've heard random homeless guys arguing with themselves recite that screed while peeing on a car's tire parked outside the local Dollar Tree.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:28 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It's so cute that you think that.
It's sad that you not only think, but promote your idealized, wealth-serving notion that the marketing industry exists but to serve us.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:17 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
But that's not the question. Wouldn't you describe a family that can't withstand a few weeks of no income and ends up on public support and losing assets and credit standing as 'being on the edge'?

Or is the edge only when you fall off and die, no matter how ragged your clothes or empty your belly?
I have yet to meet someone who cannot withstand a couple of weeks.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:23 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana360 View Post
So I am having a hard time understanding/processing all of the information we read out there relating to salaries, house prices, student loan debt, food costs, transportation, etc. Is almost everyone living on a financial edge? If you simply take the median household income of $61k, how are people paying for housing wherein the median price in the U.S. is around $300k? Hell, even if that median household income was $80k its still not enough!

After you had your mortgage, and some basic living expenses like food and gas for your car there is not much left over. How are you then paying student load debt, spending on other consumer products (e.g., consumer spending is at all-time highs), paying your car note (the car debt is at an all time high as well - over a trillion dollars), where the average car transaction sale is around $30k per KBB. Ohh and dont forget to save for retirement as well.

Curious to hear what other people think. I know the numbers above are not perfect, however, I would say they are accurate enough for this discussion.
No student loan debt
No car
Live in a studio in the Under $800 a month

So I am able to save money and also have 3 credit cards for other expenses like betting, dating, and traveling so that allows me to save money

Old 07-04-2019, 02:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Yes.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
I rather cut back and do without then

1. work multiple jobs
2. live paycheck to paycheck
3. go further into debt

Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
So now that we've disagreed over terminology and interpretation for a couple of hundred posts, how about a reboot of the question?

So fine, you're living well and you're surrounded by 100 families who by all apparent evidence are "doing well" or even better than that.

Bam, one by one those families lose all income for three months. Maybe one is a job loss due to injury, the next is because the employer shut down, Bob over there had a crippling PTSD attack after 20 years... whatever. The financial fecal matter hits the economic rotary air-mover and they either lose all income for three months or get hit with some equivalent financial disaster.

Where do you think each of them is in 100 days? Expressed in rough percentages?

How many can basically say, "Wow, that was the craps. Let's not do that again." and maybe got takeout pizza a lot less for the duration?

How many barely made it by depleting savings and selling a few valuables (financial instruments, jewelry, maybe a car)?

How many hung on to the big stuff (house, car) but only with serious damage to their financial standing - cash, credit rating, etc.?

And how many lost big - long-term credit damage, cars repossessed, mortgage penalties or foreclosure, or worse?

I'd bet such a survey would be weighted towards the bottom - maybe 10, 25, 40 and 25 percent. And I'd say that's a lot of people who are 'apparently doing well' that are really 'living on the edge.'

Your turn. Remember the dusty old rule about "having three to six months income in savings"?
Those events are not what I think of as “the edge”, in the context of this thread. Financially devastating events happen. It’s an unfortunate part of life. It’s certainly not the average household that can gracefully recover from such an event - that’s why it’s called “ devastating “.

My brother is no millionaire, not even close. He was laid off from his job (construction project manager) and it was 8 months until he found another job that would not require him to move or work out of state. His wife has a very modest city pension ( a retired parking meter reader). They managed. He just bought a retirement home in the mountains and they will move there next year. He lives below his means. He is probably the most educated man I know yet he has no college degree. He’s smart.

He’s just one person of course, and I could give other similar examples, but while I agree there are certainly many people “ living on the edge” I guess I have a different perception of what that means.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I think we saw from the government shutdown what most people can tolerate. 1 month of missed paychecks was a problem but not unmanageable. Lower end workers like the TSA, groundskeeper, etc were hit harder. 2 months of missed paychecks had the middle class, higher end workers like air traffic controllers freaking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics