U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the media create this recession?
Yes 21 28.77%
No 52 71.23%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,063,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
New deal democrats are just as guilty as Bush for the economic woes we face today. Entitlement programs make up over half the federal budget each year. That being said, consumerism is the biggest reason why we are where we are now. Perhaps corporations, pop culture, and the media all have fed the monster of instant gratification, but ultimately the blame falls on us as a society for caving. Hard work, modest living, and pious values are non existant in today's society. The very principles that made this country the world super power are long gone. China has us by the balls. We can no longer claim to be the most powerful nation on earth.
Have you read ANYTHING related to what has caused this downturn? It isn't entitlements. It is because of lax borrowing issues and then as you said the consume culture of America.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:55 AM

1,848 posts, read 6,439,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
GrittyMcDuffy wrote:
So, how many bakers and real estate hired-hands should be trusted after the dust settles in a few years (let's hope that is all it takes) ?
Those bakers are baking way too many donuts. People eat them, get too much sugar in their system and make foolish financial decisions. The bakers are the real culprits who created this recession!
Thanks for the laugh.

No I don't think the media created the recession. It's their job to report the news even if it's no good news.

A lot of people bought houses with bad loans. Many people bought homes they couldn't afford. This caused the housing crisis. The stock market has gone down from where it was a few months back. This caused more money problems. Inflation is a big problem. Energy prices have gone up and up. It all ads up to an economy that's going in the wrong direction.

I hope for better things in the future.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 AM

7,805 posts, read 17,599,734 times
Waterlilly wote:
Many people bought homes they couldn't afford.
That's what happnes when you eat too many donuts. All that sugar and fat has a negative impact on the thought process! Those bakers should all go to jail!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

I just read a very entertaing article. Here is a brief quote from this light hearted look at the recession.
Personally, I'm happier when my options are limited. I like knowing that I can't afford to move and I can't afford to quit my job and I can't afford to think about the boundless possibilities that the universe has to offer, I can only afford to clean my own stupid house and eat leftovers and lose weight so the sh*tty clothes I already have don't look even worse on me than they would otherwise. Under the duress of an economic meltdown, I have to learn to bake bread and grow tomatoes and hit up my friends for hand-me-downs for my kids.
Click here to read the entire article.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,484,061 times
George Bush, Ben Bernanke and the Republicans caused this slowdown (we are not in a recession until we have 2 quarters of negative growth).

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM

This problem started way before Bernanke. This started off when the tech bubble went up in smoke and Mr. Greenspan decided to herd people into a real estate and credit bubble the likes of which we have never seen.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,911,375 times
Quote:
I just read a very entertaing article. Here is a brief quote from this light hearted look at the recession.
Personally, I'm happier when my options are limited. I like knowing that I can't afford to move and I can't afford to quit my job and I can't afford to think about the boundless possibilities that the universe has to offer, I can only afford to clean my own stupid house and eat leftovers and lose weight so the sh*tty clothes I already have don't look even worse on me than they would otherwise. Under the duress of an economic meltdown, I have to learn to bake bread and grow tomatoes and hit up my friends for hand-me-downs for my kids.
Click here to read the entire article.
NewAgeRedNeck,

This was such a great article! What a humorous, and in many ways truthful outlook on the recession!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM

KevK wrote:
George Bush, Ben Bernanke and the Republicans caused this slowdown (we are not in a recession until we have 2 quarters of negative growth).
Yeah, none of us on this thread had anything to do with it! We have all evolved waaaay beyond contributing to a recession-slowdown in any possible way. Let's keep blaming the other guy, so that we don't have to assume any responsibility. If we can successfully make someone else responsible, we can keep this thing going idefinitely.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
KevK wrote:
Yeah, none of us on this thread had anything to do with it! We have all evolved waaaay beyond contributing to a recession-slowdown in any possible way. Let's keep blaming the other guy, so that we don't have to assume any responsibility. If we can successfully make someone else responsible, we can keep this thing going idefinitely.
how do you see yourself as contributing to all of this?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM

The way I see it, this financial fiasco is happening as an event in my life, so I am in some way responsible for it. I'm not yet aware of any specific actions or lack thereof, yet that doesn't absolve me from contributing in some way.

Looking inwardly, I worry about the future, and I am chronically dis-satisfied with my financial status. Since thoughts and emotions are very real, I am in a sense, broadcasting this crap out into the universe. What goes around comes around. I am working to change these lifelong thought habits, but it hasn't been easy going thus far. I can only speculate that there must be millions of people in this country with similar thoughts floating around in their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics