U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the media create this recession?
Yes 21 28.77%
No 52 71.23%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,059,435 times

Advertisements

^^

Well let me spell it out for you. Did you live beyond your means on credit card? Did you take out one of those silly exotic loans? If so then yeah, you did. If you were responsible then no, you didn't.

There is also contributing via ignorance. Meaning not making yourself fully aware of whats going on around you, voting responsibility in life of ALL the facts etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

7,805 posts, read 17,595,655 times
Nah, I live well within my means, have a fixed mortgage, live a rather green lifestyle, consume resources very moderately, and I never voted for bush and his gang of criminals. Even though I live a financially responsible life outwardly, that doesn't negate the inner reality, which is also part of the picture and part of the problems now unfolding. Blaming bush ain't gonna solve the problems.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM

334 posts, read 1,297,985 times
Michigan's been in a recession for 6 years now

Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,841,089 times
who cares who caused it?

i am just trying to understand what is so bad about a recession? when last did you hear about someone who saved up to buy something? all this instant gratification makes me sick! it mocks the endeavours of the working man. this recession is going to be long, hard and just what the doctor ordered!

i watched bernanke fielding questions from the joint financial sub committee over the whole bear stearns fiasco. one of the congressman spoke about his constituents not having money to buy gas for their cars. he then went on to say how that was affecting the fast food outlets in his area! like the world had just come to an end!

the reality is that a high percentage of the population on this planet don't have food, clean water or electricity! the bicycle that lies rusty in his voters back yards would be a god send for most!

maybe his constituents should start riding it to collect their fast food, while getting some exercise and reducing the burden on the tax payer for their inevitable obesity medication! while they are at it, a sprinkling of appreciation for the fact that they live in the west and have electricity, food, access to healthcare, education etc etc would go down much better than bitching to dr phil about what they don't have!

we are so spoiled that any minor inconvenience is blown totally out of proportion!

i for one am so happy that the word appreciation is going to make its way back into the dictionary..... hopefully the word WASTE will be left out!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,059,435 times
58robbo

I really liked that post of yours! Seriously! I agree with you 100%. I think you touched on something really important. The fact people can't afford gas and that fast food spots are having economic difficulty. I think this is a systemic problem that we are going to see played out across the states. I think we are going to need to rely on foot, mass transit and bicycle just as you have stated. What will probably is many stores are going to close. Mass transit will pick up. More people will foot it or take mass transit. Stores will then have to crop up around these mass transit areas. I agree 100% with you that this is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. It will be tough as heck moving forward. Some people will not be mentally prepared for whats to come and some of us might not make back from this. But those who keep their wits about them and adapt swiftly to changing realities will be fine.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,648,657 times
IMO the media has been trying to sugar coat this recession, the media is owned by big buisness, they have no desire to see a recession. The truth is actually much worse that they are reporting. They begrudgingly report what they do to try to maintain a little credibility.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,940,696 times
Even Bush just said we're not in a recession. It's just that the economy is growing more slowly. I guess close to 0% or negative is more slowly

Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,841,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
58robbo

I really liked that post of yours! Seriously! I agree with you 100%. I think you touched on something really important. The fact people can't afford gas and that fast food spots are having economic difficulty. I think this is a systemic problem that we are going to see played out across the states. I think we are going to need to rely on foot, mass transit and bicycle just as you have stated. What will probably is many stores are going to close. Mass transit will pick up. More people will foot it or take mass transit. Stores will then have to crop up around these mass transit areas. I agree 100% with you that this is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. It will be tough as heck moving forward. Some people will not be mentally prepared for whats to come and some of us might not make back from this. But those who keep their wits about them and adapt swiftly to changing realities will be fine.
thanks dude,

Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 PM

5,538 posts, read 22,657,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even Bush just said we're not in a recession. It's just that the economy is growing more slowly. I guess close to 0% or negative is more slowly
The truth is that since a recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth you cannot tell if you are really in a recession easily. In Q4 2007 we still had positive GDP growth so saying we are in a recession now is simply a judgment that may or may not be factual.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:02 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,940,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The truth is that since a recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth you cannot tell if you are really in a recession easily. In Q4 2007 we still had positive GDP growth so saying we are in a recession now is simply a judgment that may or may not be factual.
Sorry..but I just don't believe the government numbers anymore. They are fudged and tweeked to suit their needs.

I believe what I see in my day to day life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics