U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the media create this recession?
Yes 21 28.77%
No 52 71.23%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM

7,806 posts, read 17,625,364 times

Advertisements

HappyTexan wrote:
Even Bush just said we're not in a recession.
Well, if Bush says we're not in a recession, then by golly, we're not in a recession. The rest of us just have wild imaginations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,053,155 times
I don't think the media created this recession but I think they add fuel to the fire. It often seems like they offer interpretations of statistic that can be misleading. They also give a doom and gloom headline with just about anything involving the economy. The media is a drama queen at best but the economy was already spinning in the wrong direction.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 AM

5,545 posts, read 22,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry..but I just don't believe the government numbers anymore. They are fudged and tweeked to suit their needs.

I believe what I see in my day to day life.
So you are saying we can never know if we are in a recession because we have no reliable measure of GDP?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,687,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Does anybody else think the media created this recession but continually reporting nothing but doom and gloom and convincing the consumer to not spend? Few people realize this but during the last recession the economy actually started shrinking in July 2000. You never would have known we were in a recession. Why? A Democrat was is office. The media was talking recession last year when GDP was growing a 4+% I am no fan of Bush, but the media wants to further damage his legacy at all costs and what better way to do that than topping off a failed foreign policy with the worst recession since the Great Depression.
I agree that the media always does this when a Republican is office. As it gets nearer to the election suddenly "Everything is wrong", "Everything is falling apart" and "Things have never been worse". They do it everytime. They talked about Ronald Reagan worse then they talk about Dubya'. They clearly try to influence elections to the Democrats benefit. I ignore them
but I know they get a lot of people riled and upset. It's awful the way they use and manipulate the public that trusts them.

Last edited by laysayfair; 04-28-2008 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics