Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times

Advertisements

I rent, just got my rent increase which is annual and it's 6% (Los Angeles area). Everywhere around I see prices rising more like 4-5%. Inflation is more like 5% going by anecdotal evidence. Yet, the government insists inflation is under 2% and now they are going to CUT interest rates, madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I rent, just got my rent increase which is annual and it's 6% (Los Angeles area). Everywhere around I see prices rising more like 4-5%. Inflation is more like 5% going by anecdotal evidence. Yet, the government insists inflation is under 2% and now they are going to CUT interest rates, madness.

Read and you'll learn something: https://www.cornerstonewm.com/downlo...-inflation.pdf

Federal government long ago changed how inflation is calculated. Yes, for many the kooky numbers that come out of Washington, D.C. bear little to no resemblance to their own finances, but it keeps the markets happy and affects federal spending such as Cost Of Living Adjustments (COLA) for SS and other programs.

If it is of any consolation to you there are persons who create and track shadow inflation rates. That is what US inflation would be were the 1990 and other changes not made.

Alternate Inflation Charts

Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM

The problem here is with the stock market losing money in real terms (a 100% FFFFX FIdelity Freedom 2040 fund returned only 3% since 2018 and if we assume 5% inflation that is a -2% real return) and incomes rising 1-3% at most what is the solution forward?

This isn't the best economy ever, it sounds more like the worst economy ever! Geez!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Just more fuel for my contention that most official numbers are calculated with immense effort, to carefully-planned methodology and standards, with all due seriousness by whole departments of very bright and dedicated people...

...and may as well be made up by a Magic 8-Ball for all their relevance to the real situation(s).

Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,464 times
Quote:
If we let deflation do its job, everything would cost much less, including your rent. Why has housing, education, healthcare, transportation...become so expensive? Because we spend so much money trying to defeat the corrective price influence of deflation (see 2001-2019).
Deflation is a painful medicine, but it is a medicine. Of course, people in power don't want to see their million dollar house cut down to $250,000. That is part of their retirement plan, inflation of housing value. We spent trillions in 2008-2009 to avoid deflation. Did it work, or did it just delay it?

😉

Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 PM

I don't know about others, I really don't know how people manage to survive in this city as astronomically expensive as it already is and prices rising every year at 5-7% on top of that... it is reaching critical mass in my opinion.

When I get a big raise in costs like this my first reaction is to cut back on other things discretionary... that means some business elsewhere is NOT getting my money and if everyone else thinks like me it is bad news for the economy.

Perhaps others don't think like me because I am extremely frugal and monitor my costs pretty intensely even though I earn a lot I am hoping to retire early so any increase in costs means it is eating into the amount I get to save annually.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
The problem here is with the stock market losing money in real terms (a 100% FFFFX FIdelity Freedom 2040 fund returned only 3% since 2018 and if we assume 5% inflation that is a -2% real return) and incomes rising 1-3% at most what is the solution forward?

This isn't the best economy ever, it sounds more like the worst economy ever! Geez!

My inflation isn’t anywhere near 5% and the govt would be doing a disservice by posting a national number that matches the col for Los Angeles. Maybe it would be worth the time to read up on how the numbers are calculated and what makes up the numbers

Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times
Quote:
They are never going to give an accurate inflation number. Every single item I buy at the grocery store is between 5-15% more expensive than it was last year. A couple of items have actually gone up over 20% with multiple increases this same year, and the product size is actually smaller.

Reporting real inflation numbers would make their entire con job harder to pull off because Powell wouldn't be able to stand up there and say he fears too-low inflation.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 PM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
Quote:
LA. That says it all. While I’m sure in certain huge cities rent (can be independent from home price changes) and home prices are rising that is not the case in a lot of other parts of the country where home prices are stagnant and that is reflected in the rent (after recovery stagnant home prices are not unwelcomed). A lot of these big cities have raised their property, local and state taxes and this is reflected in increased housing and other costs versus states with lower taxes or no taxes.

While food prices have increased there are a lot of substitute goods that negate the increase for a household. I used to pay 699 plus tax for a standard IPad 7 years ago and now pay $279 plus tax at Walmart for the standard (non pro) Ipad model released 7-10 months before. Same with led tv costs being halved from ten years ago. A lot of cheaper cell phone providers outside of ATT, Verizon and sprint have popped up cutting cell phone service costs.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
LA. That says it all. While I’m sure in certain huge cities rent (can be independent from home price changes) and home prices are rising that is not the case in a lot of other parts of the country where home prices are stagnant and that is reflected in the rent (after recovery stagnant home prices are not unwelcomed). A lot of these big cities have raised their property, local and state taxes and this is reflected in increased housing and other costs versus states with lower taxes or no taxes.

While food prices have increased there are a lot of substitute goods that negate the increase for a household. I used to pay 699 plus tax for a standard IPad 7 years ago and now pay $279 plus tax at Walmart for the standard (non pro) Ipad model released 7-10 months before. Same with led tv costs being halved from ten years ago. A lot of cheaper cell phone providers outside of ATT, Verizon and sprint have popped up cutting cell phone service costs.
You can't eat or live in a cell phone or TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics