Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:09 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

My child makes much more than I do. But he is a hard worker and got himself the education needed to secure the high paying job.

There is plenty of well paid work out there, but no one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter as you sit in your mommy's basement playing video games. You must position yourself to be qualified for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All our kids already surpassed us ...they are earning more then we retired at
I’m not yet to 40 and I passed my parents combined peak income some time ago. My wife has done the same as well

Old 07-14-2019, 12:02 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How many folks like me thinks that our children in the future will make less wages factoring inflation when they grow up? Millennials are already making less money than their parent's prime working age.

The larger population along with automation along with high immigration and larger aging population will require higher taxes to keep this country going. Labor participation will keep going down as wealthier families will keep their children away from working.

That's life. No sense worrying about it. There is nothing that you can do about it!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:40 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
How many folks like me thinks that our children in the future will make less wages factoring inflation when they grow up? Millennials are already making less money than their parent's prime working age.

The larger population along with automation along with high immigration and larger aging population will require higher taxes to keep this country going. Labor participation will keep going down as wealthier families will keep their children away from working.
What? There are not enough truly wealthy families in the US to make a dent in the overall labor market if they suddenly all somehow prevented their adult children from working. According to the IRS, 95% of Americans earn less than $167,000, which is not what I would even call "wealthy". So somehow some tiny fraction, like 2%, of the population is going to hold down labor participation throughout the country by keeping their kids from working for some unknown reason??

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-14-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Definitely less, if one factors in inflation.

I think that the period from about 1945-1985 was probably the most affluent overall in U.S. history, and I am very saddened that I don't envision anything close to that for at least the next 20 years, if ever.

(However, back then, most people weren't as materialistic as most people are now, in my opinion, based on both reading and observation, as I was born in 1953.)

Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
For sure on an inflation adjusted basis the quality and standard of living has already peaked.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one son is the youngest full equity partner in a labor law firm with 900 attorneys ... his wife is a cpa and runs the tax dept for a big hedge fund and the other son owns a car leasing business in new york and new jersey . my daughter is a teacher and her husband earns a nice living in a trade .

all do far better then we ever did at our jobs
Labor law in NY... there have to be some juicy cases

Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:

Grandfather - machinist, then plant supervisor, last year before retirement in 2000 his W2 was $105,000

Dad - welder, then engineer, last year before retirement in 2009 (early, due to health) was $80,000

Me - technical support, engineer, then lineman, surpassed both the year I turned 27.

Everyone wants white collar, college-degreed, inside work. Parents are conditioning their kids - not "do you want to go to college?" but "where do you want to go to college?" My friends (we tend to surround ourselves with like-minded people) have either HS diplomas or "some college" and are actually having fun every day, getting our exercise, and making a killing.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:

No. Factoring inflation, my son already makes more than I did at his age. My nephew makes WAY more, and my niece makes MORE than I currently do.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Labor law in NY... there have to be some juicy cases
He only represents employers ,never employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics