Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I've always seen it as:

rich = enough assets to maintain a middle class lifestyle out of passive income
upper-middle = high income, not rich
middle = moderate income, not rich

This is accurate IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 05:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Income does not determine class status, net worth does. I know people who make considerably less money yet have higher net worths than some others with much higher incomes.

If you make $120K but are heavily in debt with a big mortgage, too big car payments and high credit card and/or student loan debts, and have a negative net worth, what does it matter what your income is?
What does net worth mean?

I've heard it doesn't include your home that you own, your IRA, investments or any other assets, just cash available that you have. I really don't know.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:39 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Umm no haha only a poor person would consider just cash in the bank. That would ignore the vast majority of most wealthy peoples’ net worths. I’m fine not including your house if it makes someone feel better but it IS part of your net worth. There’s no actual argument about the definition of net worth. It’s assets minus liabilities. Everything you own is counted no matter what it is. Anyone who invests in real estate has tons of non-liquid assets but they still absolutely count. If someone asks, “How much money do you have that you could invest right now in my new business?” That’s a different question. Then they're just asking about liquid available funds, which most people with money wouldn’t keep much of.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It depends on the area but in the Chicago area probably $45k or so for a single person with no kids.
That's lower working class.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
That's lower working class.
Not according to Pew, and several other reliable statistical sources. It’s on the lower end for middle class HH income in Chicago though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/midd...ancisco-2018-2

Old 08-02-2019, 04:28 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Not according to Pew, and several other reliable statistical sources. It’s on the lower end for middle class HH income in Chicago though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/midd...ancisco-2018-2
if these numbers are not buying a "middle class lifestyle " for us where each of us live, they mean nothing .....middle class income and middle class lifestyle don't mean the same thing .

Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if these numbers are not buying a "middle class lifestyle " for us where each of us live, they mean nothing .....middle class income and middle class lifestyle don't mean the same thing .
I agree with your comment.

OTOH, the person I replied to did not add the required nuance to his comment.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:30 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
$1 more than I make.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I've heard it doesn't include your home that you own, your IRA, investments or any other assets, just cash available that you have. I really don't know.
LOL! No, that would be how "liquid" you are. Net worth is the difference between assets and liabilities.

"An individual's net worth is simply the value that is left after subtracting liabilities from assets. Examples of liabilities (debt) include mortgages, credit card balances, student loans, car loans, etc. An individual's assets include checking and savings account balances, value of securities such as stocks or bonds, home value, market value of an automobile, etc. In other words, whatever is left after selling all assets and paying off personal debt is the net worth. Note that the value of personal net worth includes the current market value of assets and the current debt costs."

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/networth.asp

https://www.moneycrashers.com/calcul...nal-net-worth/

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-04-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Net worth is assets minus liabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics