Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

In some parts of SC major companies (Volvo, Boeing, BMW, Michelin, etc.) are screaming for "trainable" blue collar workers at $15-$17 per hour. A couple, both working at those wages, can live well here. That is the good news. In the rest of the state, there is still poverty.

Bottom line is in SC an educated/trainable blue collar worker can find a job. Less than that: Would you likes fries with that Sir?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And how much of that $179 did he get to keep? Did he have full benefits already paid for? Did he own the business? What expenses came out of that revenue number? Was he consistently billing 40 hours a week at that rate? Or charging out that rate because of all the hours charging zero?

He’s not making $179 an hour any more than I was making $300 an hour in public accounting when that was my billable rate at age 25.
I DON'T KNOW. Any other questions?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
If jobs for college grads pay so much whats with all the talk about drowning in college debt? Something dies add up.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:36 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
I know someone who is a union pipe fitter working on building the new stadium for the Las Vegas Raiders. She's making serious bank.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I don't really notice. I have a job and should be looking for a new one soon. Likely begining of the year or so. Anywho, Arizona is mostly service sector besides construction and building but I wouldn't be dead going and working all day in the summer heat. I was dying Saturday when I went to Rockstar Energy Disrupt Festival. As for other trades, I imagine they do well. That said, you need to have the training. It takes money for that so unless you go for that while working elsewhere, you best be getting unemployment or some type of income. That said, if the economy tanks again (indicators do say the booming economy is slowing) it will likely be worse.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those day laborers that stand outside Home Depot are getting at least $20/hour, cash, tax free.
I know that now because my neighbor is using one for some yard work.
Again... what happens out there really has very little to do with most of the rest.
His cousin, doing the same thing in those other places? He isn't getting anywhere near $20.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:59 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFe1icia View Post
Honestly that seems a bit low for neurosurgery and it sounds like they're trying to low ball him now before he finishes residency and starts seeing other offers. I would probably wait until he's a PGY-6 or 7 to really start negotiations with multiple offers if he's willing to move to different areas of the country. For reference, my wife is a neurologist specializing in neurotrauma and TBI and is currently negotiating her post fellowship offers.
First, congratulations to your wife. That's an awesome set of accomplishments. My son says one of the most amazing things in medicine is watching a neurologist examine a possible stroke victim. Hyper-condensating obviously - he says in a minute or two the neurologist has to decide if the patient is actively faking it, unintentionally demonstrating stroke like symptoms (stress, drugs, cancer), is it an epileptic seizure or other neurological episode etc? All to get where they decide whether to give tPA or not.

Second, my son's PD, his official advisor and the chief resident each have advised similarly to your points. He's in the process of writing that he is interested but not ready to commit. And further he'd like to keep in communication regularly blah, blah, blah. The PD said you will reach out to them once a quarter and you will copy me etc.

ETA - a week and a half ago our daughter began her medical school career. So we get rounds of all the fun.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:00 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
How are blue collar workers faring in your part of the USA?I live in Midland/Odessa in the Permian Basin of Texas.People who have never went to college are making 6 figures working in the oilfield. However, this could all change fast if there was a bust.Do you all know of any other parts of the country where someone with no college and only a high school diploma or GED can make a good living that allows them to be able to afford a house and family?Do you all know of any other areas where the working class can make 6 figures?I dont know how manufacturing is in other states.Also, people can make a good living working in a plant or a refinery in a job that is more stable than being a roughneck.Also, I know skilled tradesmen like HVAC,electrictians, and plumbers/welders can make a good living especially if they own their own business.Sorry for being longwinded.lol.
Blue collar workers are fairing very well here in Minnesota.

And to all the anti-college, anti-student loan kooks, the college graduates are also fairing very well.

Last edited by TimtheGuy; 07-29-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If jobs for college grads pay so much whats with all the talk about drowning in college debt? Something dies add up.
OVERBLOWN media hype.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:03 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Great. We have a lot of manufacturing in our area and the unemployment rate is so low, help wanted signs are everywhere, even billboards on the side of the road. They can't find enough people to fill the jobs. Of course you have to pass a drug test, so there's many that can't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics