Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
OK, I'll concede that the utter failure of 80% of LAUSD and the citizens in general of Los Angeles doesn't constitute a third world jungle.
Mixing a concrete number (80%) with something as nebulous and subjectively defined as "failure" screams that you're making things up as you go along.

Quote:
You know and I know that everything I wrote is either true or very, very close (maybe a bit outdated) to true.
Telling someone us that they know what you said is either true or very close to true? Pure science.

Quote:
OK, maybe not everything I wrote was peer reviewed but most if not all are based on government statistics which are solid.
The hits keep rolling in... statistics can be based on solid numbers but presented in a manner to say whatever you want.

Here is your California that has become a third world:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I guess that makes Texas a complete dump and third world trash pit. Right?

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06...ite-residents/
Well at least he graduated from thinking the presence of graffiti in a city is an indication of third world status to thinking the existence of a race he considers mostly failures presents same.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I guess that makes Texas a complete dump and third world trash pit. Right?

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06...ite-residents/
Indigenous Hispanic neighborhoods are on average lower income, higher crime, and lower academically performing than white or Asian neighborhoods.

With that, in Texas:
Its average school performance scores probably went down and
its crime rate probably went up and
the percentage of people on welfare probably went up and
the average income and net worth probably went down and
the number of teen pregnancies probably went up.

I don't have the numbers but Hispanic indigenous people are more likely to drive those statistics than whites are.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
People were fleeing the brutal repression and civil wars in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador in the 80's by US-backed regimes. One of the most notorious names to emerge from the US oversight of death squads, kidnappings, and torture was Col. James Steele who was called on to establish the same programs in Iraq.

From El Salvador to Iraq

Cocaine also became the most popular drug in the 70's and 80's. The migrant pipeline also largely mirrors the supply pipeline from Colombia to Mexico, and much of it may have moved further north after the US took down the Medellin cartel.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Did you visit the Corral before it burned down?
No; but that would have been fun.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Random pictures of crowds or garbage don't validate a claim that either city (or any part of California) is third world, unless your definition of third world means there are homeless people, graffiti, and protests. Then the entire world is third world.
Exactly. (Especially when one Googles those images to find out more about the photos.)

Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Mixing a concrete number (80%) with something as nebulous and subjectively defined as "failure" screams that you're making things up as you go along.

Telling someone us that they know what you said is either true or very close to true? Pure science.

The hits keep rolling in... statistics can be based on solid numbers but presented in a manner to say whatever you want.

Here is your California that has become a third world:
It's failure when 80% of LAUSD lives in poverty and is eligible for free or reduced fee lunches. This is contributes to why most of LA has turned into a broken, degenerated, crime infested, filthy, resource depleted, anonymous, uncaring, hopelessly diverse, detrimentally multicultural, graffiti sprayed, ugly, littered, education averse, 3rd world jungle.

“More than 80% of our students qualify for either free or reduced-price meals."
from
LAUSD to Offer Free Meals for Children this Summer

"Nearly 70% of the students in Los Angeles Unified are not proficient in math. About 60% are not proficient in English."
from
L.A. Schools Have a Math Problem

In 1970, more than 60 percent of SFV residents could afford both an average priced house as well as the costs of a college education. By 2007, fewer than half could. Perhaps not coincidentally, more than 40 percent of Valley residents in 2007 were born outside the country.

Here are some excerpts from California Coalition for Immigration Reform, Reconquista!: The Takeover Of America,

Professor José Angel Gutierrez of the University of Texas, 1995:

We have an aging White America. They are not making babies. They are dying. It’s a matter of time. The explosion is in our population. You must believe that you are entitled to govern . . . Don’t you find it curious that in the midst of all this harassment and repression that there are those who are saying that they are concerned because we’re Latinizing Los Angeles? That there’s too many Mexicans here? That we’re the biggest national security threat to the United States? I love it! Se estan cagando ******es de miedo! (They are sh****** in their pants with fear.) I love it!

Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Council, September, 1996:

[T]hey’re afraid that we’re going to take over the governmental institutions and other institution. They’re right, we will take them over, and we are not going to go away, we are here to stay . . .”

Art Torres, former California State Senator and current chairman of the California Democratic Party:

Remember, 187 is the last gasp of white America in California. Understand that. And people say to me on the Senate floor when I was in the Senate, ‘Why do you fight so hard for affirmative action programs?’ And I say ‘Because you’re going to need them [when whites become a minority].’ (laughter)

Gloria Molina, Los Angeles County Supervisor, June 1996:

[W]e are politicizing every single one of those new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country . . . And our vote is going to be important. But I gotta tell you that a lot of people are saying, ‘I’m going to go out there and vote because I want to pay them back.’

Antonio Villaraigosa, Majority Leader in the California State Assembly, June, 1997:

We know the sunny side of midnight has been the election of a Latino speaker [in the state house], was the election of Loretta Sanchez against an arch-conservative, reactionary, hate-mongering politician like Congressman Dornan.

Mike Hernandez, Los Angeles City Council, June 1996:

Somos Mexicanos (we are Mexicans)! Mexico, some of us say, is the country this land used to belong to! . . . We are the future, we will lead the Western hemisphere!

Fernando Guerra, Professor, Loyola Marymount, Jan. 1995:

[W]e need to avoid a white backlash by using codes understood by Latinos but not offensive or threatening to others.

Armando Navarro, Professor, University of California, Jan. 1995:

[T]ime is on our side, as one people as one nation within a nation as the community that we are, the Chicano/Latino community of this nation. What that means is a transfer of power. It means control.

Ruben Zacarias, Superintendent, Los Angeles Unified School District, June, 1997:

And I’ll tell you what we’ve done with the INS. Now we’re even doing the [citizenship] testing that usually people had to go to INS to take, and pretty soon, hopefully, we’ll do the final interviews in our schools. (laughter) Incidentally, I started this very quietly because there are those that if they knew that we were creating a whole new cadre of brand new citizens it would have a tremendous political impact.

Augustin Cebada, a leader of the Brown Berets, on July 4, 1996:

Go back to Boston! Go back to the Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you, leave like beaten rats. You old white people, it is your duty to die. Even their own ethicists say that they should die, that they have a duty to die. We are the majority in L.A . . . Through love of having children we’re going to take over.

Last edited by SoCal_Native; 08-04-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 10:17 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
OK, maybe not everything I wrote was peer reviewed but most if not all are based on government statistics which are solid.
You didn't properly attribute your claims, you used bad outdated sources and most didn't even directly address your dubious claims. The stuff you posted was not peer reviewed I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Indigenous Hispanic neighborhoods are on average lower income, higher crime, and lower academically performing than white or Asian neighborhoods.

With that, in Texas:
Its average school performance scores probably went down and
its crime rate probably went up and
the percentage of people on welfare probably went up and
the average income and net worth probably went down and
the number of teen pregnancies probably went up.

I don't have the numbers but Hispanic indigenous people are more likely to drive those statistics than whites are.
"probably"? How are you qualified to make these sweeping generalizations, or does magic 8 ball guide you?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"probably"? How are you qualified to make these sweeping generalizations...?

Yes, absolutely.

There are loads of government, .edu and .org data that support every one of those statements.

For example, the average Hispanic (and black) high school graduate has the reading and math proficiency of the average white 8th grader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics