Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

It wasn't the abandonment of the gold standard; it was the deregulation of the banking industry that allowed financial institutions to try all kinds of things, some of which later turned out to be Bad Ideas.

One of the signs you're a Generation Xer is that you got your first credit card at a college student activities event. Citi or Chase or Bank of America gave you a beer coozie, frisbee, or maybe a t-shirt if you were lucky as the big sign up bonus for that card.

And then there were complaints about how the banks took advantage of those poor innocent college kids who didn't realize they had to pay their credit card bills and the rules were changed so it's much harder for the 18-22 year olds to get credit cards now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:23 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Just to clarify, I'm not saying we should toss college aside--at least not for everyone. But for some? Yes, absolutely. There are lots of people who really shouldn't be in college. College has been dumbed down to accommodate them.

But yes, being more strategic in selecting what to study would be helpful to those who are smart enough, but just kinda aimless.
A four-year degree isn’t for everyone, but I’m speaking in terms of continuing education of some sort even if it means certification (and acquiring a marketable skill) to make one more employable/competitive in today’s job market (and less prone to financial struggles). It should also include a well-rounded preliminary understanding of finance/budgeting. We simply aren’t preparing people to enter (or stay in) the middle class.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It wasn't the abandonment of the gold standard; it was the deregulation of the banking industry that allowed financial institutions to try all kinds of things, some of which later turned out to be Bad Ideas.

One of the signs you're a Generation Xer is that you got your first credit card at a college student activities event. Citi or Chase or Bank of America gave you a beer coozie, frisbee, or maybe a t-shirt if you were lucky as the big sign up bonus for that card.

And then there were complaints about how the banks took advantage of those poor innocent college kids who didn't realize they had to pay their credit card bills and the rules were changed so it's much harder for the 18-22 year olds to get credit cards now.
I'm inclined to agree, since an explosion of credit also occurred in the 1920s when we were still on the gold standard.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
The reason credit expanded was the complete abandonment of the gold standard. That's why inflation skyrocketed (paper money and loss of its value: adjustment to new reality).

You know when you play poker with unlimited chips? That's basically what we've had since then. Just took some time to get it right and work out the kinks.
You could be right. I'm not sure I completely agree, but I lean in that direction.

I think the core issue we have is actually the debt based banking system. Effectively, money can't be created without being some form of debt. That is fundamentally wrong (morally and just practically), IMO.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
A four-year degree isn’t for everyone, but I’m speaking in terms of continuing education of some sort even if it means certification (and acquiring a marketable skill) to make one more employable/competitive in today’s job market (and less prone to financial struggles). It should also include a well-rounded preliminary understanding of finance/budgeting. We simply aren’t preparing people to enter (or stay in) the middle class.
Yes, I agree with all of that. And I think a lot of these certifications could be done in high school.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Yes, I definitely think this is a contributing factor.

But at the core, I think it's because almost all money is created as some form of debt. It goes to the core of the way the financial system is set up.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:53 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, I agree with all of that. And I think a lot of these certifications could be done in high school.
In the past, it has been - but there is less of it now. Minimally, high school needs to prepare every student with a basic education in English, Math, Science, History, Government and Personal Finance (and allow for certification, community college or vocational training post graduation for those who do not opt to attend a University). The more students are prepared to enter (and stay in) the middle class, the fewer the struggles - and the more likely they will be able to adapt to our changing world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics