Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Best of times if you have the skills required to do the job.

This. Plus the willingness to move to where the jobs are. It's not easy, but that's a big part of the American story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I know plenty of people who work at Amazon from the warehouse to coders to upper management(of a facility, not corporate). They all seem pretty satisfied with their jobs. They say the stress can be high but the compensation is better than the same job at another company. The warehouse jobs are just stressful enough that they weed out people who are incompetent and lazy. I have many students who work part time in the warehouse, and while they generally like their jobs, they all are looking forward to getting "real" jobs in their field when they graduate. I can see how making a career out of warehouse work could be frustrating when so many of the people you work with are just using it as a stepping stone to something better.
All valid points but I think OP is onto something.

You can only ramp up production so high until you have employees literally sprinting to make their quotas. This is not safe. You don’t want production to be 100% of the output of the human body, because you won’t be able to keep employees, or keep employees safe.

Amazon warehouses have a completely automated hiring process that involves practically zero human involvement on part of Amazon. This can be safely attributed to the high turnover at warehouse locations.

Production needs to be 80% of what you can reasonably expect someone to complete in 8 hours.

- What happens when someone grabs the last widget and you’re stuck waiting for a forklift to replenish?
- What happens when your pallet jack battery dies mid shift because someone on the previous shift didn’t bother to charge it?
- What happens when someone turns around a corner carelessly and knocks over your pallet, and you have to re-stack it?

Who accounts for that time? It should not be counting against the employee’s productivity.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
They will be conducting career fairs/hiring events in several cities (and they are looking for a wide range of positions i.e. software engineers, warehouse staff, etc. - all with benefits). They have indicated it is not related to Christmas (all positions are permanent).

Old 09-12-2019, 08:37 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Amazon really operates as at least two companies.

The warehouse and picking jobs are similar to any other warehouse/picking job. Maybe slightly better benefits.

The tech company side has typical tech company compensation and benefits.

My guess is most of these jobs are on the lower end.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
Is it possible for Amazon to hire beginners as virtual assistants? I mean, they always look for someone with e-commerce background...

Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I rather there be 3000 smaller business having 10 openings each, spread over the whole country, even if at minimum wage. Not saying there isnt concurrently though.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Best of times if you have the skills required to do the job.
if you're willing to work you'll develop skills. So many lazy people in the workforce these days, it's easy to get ahead.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
So many lazy people in the workforce these days, it's easy to get ahead.
I definitely agree with this.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Didn’t see any “good” jobs in my area.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
This. Plus the willingness to move to where the jobs are. It's not easy, but that's a big part of the American story.
It makes me feel rather fortunate that I grew up in an area where a lot of jobs seem to be coming.

Or maybe I just didn't have the desire or courage to move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics