Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
You love that word. It doesn't make you sound smarter.

Please show me a single instance when a country has managed per capita growth without overall GDP growth.
If we need more work visas then lets do it. A flood of people with zero skills walking across our southern border doesn't do the average tax payer any good. What makes the Latinos from the south so special? Answer....nothing.

There are billions of people that want to come here but they can't due to water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 07:27 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
You love that word. It doesn't make you sound smarter.

Please show me a single instance when a country has managed per capita growth without overall GDP growth.
Per-capita growth of what?

Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If we need more work visas then lets do it. A flood of people with zero skills walking across our southern border doesn't do the average tax payer any good. What makes the Latinos from the south so special? Answer....nothing.

There are billions of people that want to come here but they can't due to water.
I made no comment on this. All I said was immigration needs to be legal, but the path to legality cannot be so restrictive so as to put it out of reach for the majority of the people who are trying to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Per-capita growth of what?
Income. Show me a country that has managed to grow per capita income without growing overall GDP. You said the goal is per capita income growth, not overall (GDP) growth. Show me where it has been possible to do the former without the latter for more than an odd year here or there.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-25-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
We really don't. What we actually need is cheap training for Americans so they can do whatever these jobs that need immigrants are. I've seen some certification programs that are unnecessarily expensive, no reason whatsoever they aren't free IMO. IF YOU NEED THE SKILLED WORKER THEN SKILL THE WORKER! Especially IT crap, it's not brain surgery.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't think it's accurate to declare they have zero skills, immigrants from Latin America have varying levels of skills they can contribute to an economy. Sure there aren't many software developers or heart surgeons sneaking across the desert but lots with varying levels of experience/skill with construction, manufacturing, etc. often skills they learned in USA on previous illegal stay.

I can't point at someone with ten years of experience cutting/laying tile, framing houses, or soldering motherboards as unskilled, since I sure as hell don't know how to do it.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:39 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We really don't. What we actually need is cheap training for Americans so they can do whatever these jobs that need immigrants are. I've seen some certification programs that are unnecessarily expensive, no reason whatsoever they aren't free IMO. IF YOU NEED THE SKILLED WORKER THEN SKILL THE WORKER! Especially IT crap, it's not brain surgery.
The unemployment rate is at a record low. We need bodies.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Precisely.

Keep in mind the person you replied to is incapable of the necessary nuance. They see only black or white.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:22 AM

289 posts, read 224,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A large number of American citizens will not do the job’s that immigrants are willing to do no matter how much training you offer. Many American citizens view disability as their ticket so that is what they pursue rather than hard work. The economy needs bodies willing to work at all skill levels.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
We have bodies. We need higher wages.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I made no comment on this. All I said was immigration needs to be legal, but the path to legality cannot be so restrictive so as to put it out of reach for the majority of the people who are trying to get here.

Income. Show me a country that has managed to grow per capita income without growing overall GDP. You said the goal is per capita income growth, not overall (GDP) growth.
I said nothing of the sort. What matters is per capita wealth, not income. Immigration decreases that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics