Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 09:46 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times

Advertisements

The research was brought to you by Goldman Sachs and the chamber of commerce.
They always need more immigrants to put downward pressure on wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We really don't. What we actually need is cheap training for Americans so they can do whatever these jobs that need immigrants are. I've seen some certification programs that are unnecessarily expensive, no reason whatsoever they aren't free IMO. IF YOU NEED THE SKILLED WORKER THEN SKILL THE WORKER! Especially IT crap, it's not brain surgery.
We should be putting pressure on needy business to start their own apprenticeships. No more cheap labor from other countries.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The unemployment rate is at a record low. We need bodies.
No it is not, otherwise wages would be rising across the board.
We should wait until wages are equivalent to 1970 pay adjusted for inflation before we bring in more people.

I know a painter and drywaller that said they made about 20 bucks an hour in 1970.
Now some only get paid 12 bucks an hour.

They should be making 30 bucks an hour so we have a long ways to go.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No. We don’t have enough bodies to fill all openings. If you are arguing against that you are simply ignoring the data.
Capitalism 101 proves you wrong.
Employers will raise wages when there is high demand for bodies.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:56 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Why would we need more immigrants when robots will start taking their jobs in 2030?
This.

Of course we know what the REAL agenda is...

Old 10-06-2019, 12:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Capitalism 101 proves you wrong.
Employers will raise wages when there is high demand for bodies.
Capitalism 101? How about Economics 613? Did you ever take that one?

I have data to back up my case which shows that the unemployment rate is at a 50 year low. The data also show that lower skilled job wages are seeing growth. What do you have? Hopefully it’s more than just some incorrect understanding of economic theory.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
No. That’s not what the data say. We don’t just need high skilled people. We need people. People to work low skilled jobs and then buy stuff at Walmart. People to get sick and buy Tylenol. People to have kids and buy jackets for them. We need people.

We do need them to be here legally. We need a legal pathway to citizenship for people who want to be here and the standard can’t be so ridiculous that only the people you’re talking about can reach it.

Please read the article.
If people were the answer, then India would have a much higher GDP and per capita ppp GDP than the US. However, that is not the case, just throwing bodies at something does not automatically mean benefits.

There is a legal pathway to citizenship, I have no idea why you think there is not. Almost my entire family are immigrants, legal immigrants.

The only thing bringing in yet more warm bodies will do is keep the wages low. You cannot on one hand scream you want $15/hr flipping burgers, yet on the other hand flood the labor pool with people. If the low wage class wants their wages to rise, they need to advocate cutting off the labor pool and allowing demand to raise the wages as employers compete for labor.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:22 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If people were the answer, then India would have a much higher GDP and per capita ppp GDP than the US. However, that is not the case, just throwing bodies at something does not automatically mean benefits.

There is a legal pathway to citizenship, I have no idea why you think there is not. Almost my entire family are immigrants, legal immigrants.

The only thing bringing in yet more warm bodies will do is keep the wages low. You cannot on one hand scream you want $15/hr flipping burgers, yet on the other hand flood the labor pool with people. If the low wage class wants their wages to rise, they need to advocate cutting off the labor pool and allowing demand to raise the wages as employers compete for labor.
People are what our economy needs. India’s economy is quite different than ours for multiple reasons. This is an unreasonable comparison.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
For some.

Unfortunately, there are places where immigrants are coming from that isn't in line with the philosophies of the U.S. government. And for them, there is almost no legal pathway to citizenship.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
We should be putting pressure on needy business to start their own apprenticeships. No more cheap labor from other countries.
That's a great idea, and a really old one when you think about it. In the early 80's my company gave interested employees an aptitude test and put them though their own in house computer programming training so they could staff their own departments to take advantage of emerging technologies. I think the only place to get programming language training at the time was a place called Control Data Institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics