Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 05:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL. Americans love construction work. It is extremely simple to attract construction workers. All you have to do is pay the market rate.
If you paid “market” rate what would the increase cost be to purchase a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 06:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
No it is not, otherwise wages would be rising across the board.
We should wait until wages are equivalent to 1970 pay adjusted for inflation before we bring in more people.

I know a painter and drywaller that said they made about 20 bucks an hour in 1970.
Now some only get paid 12 bucks an hour.

They should be making 30 bucks an hour so we have a long ways to go.
According to this BLS data, it actually hovered around $6/hr in 1970.

https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/..._1709_1971.pdf

Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
These ideas stoke irrational fears.
Please explain what's "irrational" about preserving one's advanced civilization?

Old 10-06-2019, 10:58 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
We should wait until wages are equivalent to 1970 pay adjusted for inflation before we bring in more people.
I know a painter and drywaller that said they made about 20 bucks an hour in 1970.
Now some only get paid 12 bucks an hour.
They should be making 30 bucks an hour so we have a long ways to go.
I wouldn't put too much faith in those memories, unless maybe they were making Sunday OT in McCormick Place or something. The Chicago District Council journeyman carpenter hourly rate in 1977 was about $10.50 per hour (I might even still have a pay stub if I look for it). In 1970? I'd have to guess and say about seven bucks an hour, it was a bit before my time - but I might be able to find one of my old man's, that guy kept everything. Tradesman only making twelve bucks an hour today are either fresh across the border, or aren't very good at what they do, at least in Chicago. Why, janitorial wages start at about nine bucks in this market, I see Mickey D's and White Castle advertising for ten. I'd think that decently skilled tradesmen make at least twenty or twenty-five bucks an hour in the Chicago area, and the union journeyman carpenter rate is probably more like forty-five or fifty. That's why guys want to be in the union.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
EXACTLY.

Kinda odd that we got this pro-immigration piece during the whole climate change spectacle, which is exactly OPPOSITE of what would be sensible...

Almost seems like a nefarious propaganda/agenda to be honest...
Maybe because it is simply stating the economic fact that the economy needs immigrants to continue to grow. It’s not making a political statement.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Please explain what's "irrational" about preserving one's advanced civilization?
I stand corrected. Only irrational if you aren’t a xenophobe.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I stand corrected. Only irrational if you aren’t a xenophobe.
Ah yes, here comes the shaming language to shut down debate...

Old 10-07-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Ah yes, here comes the shaming language to shut down debate...
No. This is strictly a discussion around economics and the need for more immigrants to sustain our economy. If you want to make the case that you need to preserve white america, go do that in another thread.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:23 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Seriously?

You can't entertain the possibility that your assumptions on the relationship between wages and unemployment are wrong, instead it's some massive conspiracy spanning multiple administrations to report fraudulent unemployment numbers.

Chasing conclusions is not a wise way to view and learn about the world around you.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
According to this BLS data, it actually hovered around $6/hr in 1970.

https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/..._1709_1971.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I wouldn't put too much faith in those memories, unless maybe they were making Sunday OT in McCormick Place or something. The Chicago District Council journeyman carpenter hourly rate in 1977 was about $10.50 per hour (I might even still have a pay stub if I look for it). In 1970? I'd have to guess and say about seven bucks an hour, it was a bit before my time - but I might be able to find one of my old man's, that guy kept everything. Tradesman only making twelve bucks an hour today are either fresh across the border, or aren't very good at what they do, at least in Chicago. Why, janitorial wages start at about nine bucks in this market, I see Mickey D's and White Castle advertising for ten. I'd think that decently skilled tradesmen make at least twenty or twenty-five bucks an hour in the Chicago area, and the union journeyman carpenter rate is probably more like forty-five or fifty. That's why guys want to be in the union.

Such is the nature of anecdotal evidence, especially when dulled by a clear bias and second (3rd?) hand observations from many decades ago.

Let's also give a nod to folks who insist the rate of inflation is actually 20% since their package of Hormel bacon is 20% higher than it was a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics