Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 08:30 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Sharp Cuts in Immigration Threaten U.S. Economy and Innovation
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/11/b...sultPosition=1

"The long-run health of the United States economy is in serious danger from a self-inflicted wound: the Trump administration’s big cuts in immigration.
The final reason the low immigration number is so frightening is not really about population growth at all. It’s that the evidence increasingly says having immigrants here makes workers born in the United States more successful.
( https://www.dropbox.com/s/005ikevo7e34wjz/MoserSan.pdf )
In reality, they found, the quotas didn’t protect domestic scientists and inventors. It hurt them, and it decimated their work. Patents for American scientists who worked in fields with many East European scientists fell almost 60 percent compared with those in other fields. And, over time, fewer American-born people became scientists and inventors at all. The net effect was a substantial reduction in invention in the United States."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 11:47 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Please point out where I did this. You can’t because you completely fabricated it
Good luck filling your crappy jobs for peanuts. Just because I made a slight exaggeration to illustrate that concerns were bunk does not show anything.

Your entire arguments are crap and you are a feudal serfdom apologist. Why dont you go grow and pick your own strawberries, they literally grow anywhere.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Sharp Cuts in Immigration Threaten U.S. Economy and Innovation
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/11/b...sultPosition=1

"The long-run health of the United States economy is in serious danger from a self-inflicted wound: the Trump administration’s big cuts in immigration.
The final reason the low immigration number is so frightening is not really about population growth at all. It’s that the evidence increasingly says having immigrants here makes workers born in the United States more successful.
( https://www.dropbox.com/s/005ikevo7e34wjz/MoserSan.pdf )
In reality, they found, the quotas didn’t protect domestic scientists and inventors. It hurt them, and it decimated their work. Patents for American scientists who worked in fields with many East European scientists fell almost 60 percent compared with those in other fields. And, over time, fewer American-born people became scientists and inventors at all. The net effect was a substantial reduction in invention in the United States."
Yep, this is another very serious issue in the USA is intellectual property, as an individual scientist/engineer/inventor it has become cost-prohibitive to not only get a full-blown defensible patent but also to protect it in court to ensure that you get substantial royalties even if the other party is slightly tweaking said invention.

The courts have been watered down by preditors ruling in favor of mega-corporations.

Then the intellectual property theft from other nations because there are no consequences for a mega-corp taking technology to another country.

This is going to drastically drive innovation WAY down or cause scientists to keep their stuff on the bench until they can find a buyer to cash them out in one multi-million dollar shot so they can get out of dodge.

Old 10-13-2019, 04:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
... No they dont.

Someone will pick strawberries (kids on summer break for $20/hr and you just pay $20 for a little thing of strawberries). Families will take care of their family, only in rare cases where someone has outlived everyone they know should the state step in.

Restaurants will have to adapt, this is not a critical service that america needs, its an addiction of the affluent and semi affluent.

The very existance of mcjobs is offensive, especially in a society where anyone and everyone can fall into it (since we dont have protected classes or a class system), so I dont want to see these kinds of jobs anywhere.

If multi-generational skilled professional Americans were legally insulated from these sorts of jobs (ie guaranteed federal jobs that insulated them from any negative market effects) then maybe. If only idiots and burn outs had to take these jobs ... ok, but thats not how we are set up so I say shut down the boarders and you can pay big bucks to eat out.
Your continuous reference to McJobs is getting old. What is offensive is an entitlement attitude.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:38 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Good luck filling your crappy jobs for peanuts. Just because I made a slight exaggeration to illustrate that concerns were bunk does not show anything.

Your entire arguments are crap and you are a feudal serfdom apologist. Why dont you go grow and pick your own strawberries, they literally grow anywhere.
You made up BS claiming I took a stance I didn’t say. And the rest of your response is simply more bs because you fail to counter anything. Growing strawberries wouldn’t make a difference and it’s really nothing more than growing your own straw to build a man out of

Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You made up BS claiming I took a stance I didn’t say. And the rest of your response is simply more bs because you fail to counter anything. Growing strawberries wouldn’t make a difference and it’s really nothing more than growing your own straw to build a man out of
Its not a straw man, I dont care about your insatiable desire for cheap stuff which nessecitates the need for exploited labor. Thats what your post boils down to and its offensive. If anyone is entitled its you.

Your not entitled to cheap starwberries or anything and people are getting fed up with lax immigration standards so that you can indirectly exploit people.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Your continuous reference to McJobs is getting old. What is offensive is an entitlement attitude.
I dont care what you think is getting old, the very existance of these jobs in our society is offensive and the people that support the conditions for them to exist are scum. You fighting to get exploited labor so you can keep getting cheap stuff is the definition of entitlement.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
No -not anymore than Europe needs immigrants -the people pouring in there and here are not future workers -they are wards of the state -they are not here to earn money -they are here to get money

Old 10-13-2019, 08:53 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Its not a straw man, I dont care about your insatiable desire for cheap stuff which nessecitates the need for exploited labor. Thats what your post boils down to and its offensive. If anyone is entitled its you.
I’ve got more than enough disposable income to take on increased cost of 100% of all of my disposable expenses before it really becomes a problem for me personally so you couldn’t be further off the mark for me on a personal level. Does it strike you as odd though that someone like myself might actually be speaking about the vast majority of Americans?

Quote:
Your
You mean you’re right?

Quote:
not entitled to cheap starwberries
Do you mean strawberries? I’m really not sure what your hang up with strawberries is but it’s rather odd and largely irrelevant

Quote:
or anything and people are getting fed up with lax immigration standards so that you can indirectly exploit people.
I’m not fed up with lax immigration and there’s a lot of people like me. Even people who are fed up with lax immigration don’t actually want the consequences of extremely tight immigration even if they grow their own strawberries

Old 10-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I’ve got more than enough disposable income to take on increased cost of 100% of all of my disposable expenses before it really becomes a problem for me personally so you couldn’t be further off the mark for me on a personal level. Does it strike you as odd though that someone like myself might actually be speaking about the vast majority of Americans?

You mean you’re right?

Do you mean strawberries? I’m really not sure what your hang up with strawberries is but it’s rather odd and largely irrelevant

I’m not fed up with lax immigration and there’s a lot of people like me. Even people who are fed up with lax immigration don’t actually want the consequences of extremely tight immigration even if they grow their own strawberries
Well then we agree to disagree, I am ready for the consequences of extremely tight immigration, in fact I welcome it.

High immigration is only good for the affluent (people who are so FI they never have to worry about falling into these sorts of jobs), its horrible for the lower middle class.

I am working on becoming FI but even after I am I will always feel for people who are financially forced into these undesirable jobs for meager wages due to artificial supply of workers who have no leverage.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 10-13-2019 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics