Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM

654 posts, read 423,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I can see this being the case in the SE US. I didn't crunch the numbers but they sound plausible.

When you say best returns / least cashflow. How does this math work out? Best returns on... an eventual sale? Rental cashflow ONCE paid off?
It works out with leveraged appreciation, personally my properties all have some cash flow but the more leverage, the less cash flow. More leverage, higher returns thanks to a pretty strong market that has weathered even the worst times like 08 very well. I could buy the $1M home in my example with cash and be cash flowing day 1 but obviously that would be a very bad move. I do have condos I paid cash for and all provide decent cash flow, but my leveraged SFHs that provide little cash flow crush those returns. Like most investors I'm also not buying turn key homes, rather finding fixer uppers and making the highest ROI improvements.

Just as with any other asset classes you do not need to sell to have a gain/loss, unrealized or not it is still there. When I go to the bank to get a mortgage and list my current assets, they look at what the home is worth that day, not when I purchased it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
meanwhile... elsewhere in the Bay Area...

Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
While the Bay Area has remained a solid investment during most peoples lifetimes, assuming it will continue to grow because it has historically is not a solid assumption. Looking back over a longer period of US history, the hot spots have really shifted around and many of the boom cities have busted. In their respective times, Baltimore, New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit were at one point the rapidly growing "tech capitals" of their time, and that growth has since subsided. The only anomaly has been New York, always on top population wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_decade

If the fundamentals don't quite add up, relying on past gains to carry on through is little more than blind faith.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
In 1993, I sold my Silicon Valley house for about $600K. The family to whom I sold it recentlyl put it on the market & it sold for $3.6 Million. Judging by the photos on Zillow, it hasn't been remodeled.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:23 AM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
While the Bay Area has remained a solid investment during most peoples lifetimes, assuming it will continue to grow because it has historically is not a solid assumption. Looking back over a longer period of US history, the hot spots have really shifted around and many of the boom cities have busted. In their respective times, Baltimore, New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit were at one point the rapidly growing "tech capitals" of their time, and that growth has since subsided. The only anomaly has been New York, always on top population wise.
The city anchoring our general area (Dayton, Ohio) has been called "The Silicon Valley of the Ragtime Era". 100 years ago, it was famous as being the place with largest per-capita issuance of US patents. Site of the invention of the airplane, the cash register and all sorts of gadgets and conveniences that made modernity possible, it has been in decline for 60 years.

Cue Shelley's poem, "Ozymandias". But I wonder: can decline really ever be forecast? Does it ever have veritable harbingers? Or do we only recognize it in hindsight, after it's already too late?

More topically... suppose that the SFs and NYCs of the world stagnate, so that property that was worth $500K 25 years ago, and which is worth $2.5M or whatever today, is still only worth $2.5M in the year 2045. Well, what about other markets? Will laggards catch up? Will the whole world end? Or will most laggards remain as laggards, while entirely new markets assume leadership?

I look with abject envy at the people who jumped onto the property-ladder in America's "glamour cities" 20 years ago. That is sufficiently recent, that many of us, who are currently reading and writing on this Forum, would have been in a position to buy back then. But we didn't. We deployed our money elsewhere. Well, are we going to get a second chance? And if so, where?

Old 10-30-2019, 06:53 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
A second chance was 2009-12 in my corner of the SF Bay Area... I let many know this is the time to get serious if they wanted a house.

Only one of the nurses I work with did... A single mom RN with a 11 year old daughter... She bought a foreclosure with issues... far from anyone's idea of a dream home... Her payments are less than the current rent for the place she was renting in 2010 and the value of the home she bought has more than doubled.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 PM

150 posts, read 87,516 times
Haha !! NYC criminals are running NYC again. Watch out below NYC housing

Old 11-08-2019, 03:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Housing affordability is up according to the latest numbers... 29% up from 21% for the Bay Area...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...e-14818700.php

Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Side note: I think you might be mixing part of what I said with part of what another poster said. This was a little hard to follow. Who is $2,000 in the hole? lol
This poster. He said his gross rent is 4K a month and his PITI is 6K a month. Therefore he's at minimum 2K a month in the hole + vacancy, turnover expenses, and repairs and it will be even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
My best returns have come from properties with the least cash flow, many other ways to do it than just investing for cash flow. Where I am you can rent a $1M home for about $4k a month. Putting 20% down on a $1m home, getting a 30 year fixed at 4%, you're looking at around $6k a month after property taxes and insurance. I'm still a buyer at these levels and my returns still beat the SP500 by quite a bit.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 667,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_decade

If the fundamentals don't quite add up, relying on past gains to carry on through is little more than blind faith.
One thing I will point out is that transportation routes have dictacted which of those cities are "on top." When steam ship and covered wagon was the fastest travel options St. Louis and New Orleans were exceptionally important strategic locations on the Mississippi river. Then when the railroad developed Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland rose to prominence. Now with all of the imports coming in from Asia the westcoast port cities of Seattle, Oakland and most importantly Long Beach (LA) are ground zero for economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics