Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:32 PM

18,737 posts, read 8,343,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't agree.

For example one of my son's friends leveraged his way through medical school. It's a long story but he'll finish his ER residency this next summer and then begin a job doing locum tenens work around Texas. His salary will be such that he will be able pay his debt to zero within about 6 or 8 months if he'd like.

I'll grant that debt is a problem for many. Much like life saving medicine the right amount really helps too much is a big problem.
Debt now being fiat is much easier for the rich to leverage. And that only aggravates wealth inequality, if one should worry about such things. Debt can now be successfully leveraged to overtake material productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,550,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

That's a pithy epigram, but does it hold? Gold is favored by some, as a leavening of a balanced investment portfolio. But look at its long-term history.

What is the long-term history of the value of the dollar?

I think I will take my chances with gold long-term versus any fiat currency long-term. Back in 1920 a 1-ounce $20 gold coin would buy you a cow. Today a 1-ounce gold coin will still buy you a cow, but what will $20 buy you?

Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,550,903 times
Quote:
I don't agree.

For example one of my son's friends leveraged his way through medical school. It's a long story but he'll finish his ER residency this next summer and then begin a job doing locum tenens work around Texas. His salary will be such that he will be able pay his debt to zero within about 6 or 8 months if he'd like.

I'll grant that debt is a problem for many. Much like life saving medicine the right amount really helps too much is a big problem.

When the debt bubble busts you will.

People just have a normalcy bias with record debt levels right now. That will all be changing soon enough. There is a reason people like Dalio are buying gold and not leveraging themselves with debt in this environment.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post

I think I will take my chances with gold long-term versus any fiat currency long-term. Back in 1920 a 1-ounce $20 gold coin would buy you a cow. Today a 1-ounce gold coin will still buy you a cow, but what will $20 buy you?
There is certainly room for saving in gold metal, but not many of us save USD's long term. Many of us do invest them however. Do your due diligence + some luck and that $20 invested since 1920 will be worth many more USD's today.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:29 PM

37,429 posts, read 45,630,174 times
Quote:

$20 will buy me dinner. A nice one.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 PM

19,493 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:

That's only one side of the equation.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:12 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,571,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
clearly yes we are in the midst of another bubble yet we have not realized it. I'm just trying to figure out how to best capitalize the impending doom that is coming. how does one profit on the mass default of loans?
You profit on the desperation of people trying to raise cash by any means. In a crash, money talks. Look for bargains that are 50% to 90% off. You can even leverage yourself into bargains, like the short sales of real estate in the recovery from the last recession. Banks will take a loss if it means they can get it off their books.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM

19,493 posts, read 17,729,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Debt now being fiat is much easier for the rich to leverage. And that only aggravates wealth inequality, if one should worry about such things. Debt can now be successfully leveraged to overtake material productivity.
No sale. Those towards the bottom of the economic ladder would be worse off, far worse off under a metals standard. We have nearly 1,000 years of economic history under various metal standards from which to study. The takeaways are clear.

1. Persistent and very significant liquidity shortages.
2. Short term price instability.........mainly due to too few dollars in the system.
3. Artificially high unemployment. Friedman described it well as a deadweight loss.
4. Economic growth is severely truncated as monetary growth is tied to new discoveries of X-metal.

As an aside countries that ditched or significantly moved away from gold standards fared much better than those that held on to gold standards before and during The Great Depression.

A couple points. Under a gold standard The US spent significantly more time in recession from 1900-1938, call it 38 years and three months than we have since 1938-2019, call it 81 years and a few months. Depending upon some dither in the data we spent between 48% and 55% of the former in recession and around ~8% since.

For context. The Colonies and then US from about 1755-1938 saw little but economic instability.

I'll let the master explain, wait until you have 8 or 10 mins. to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hik8bv6EnBI

Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
No sale. Those towards the bottom of the economic ladder would be worse off, far worse off under a metals standard.
Agreed.

Although fiat debt might exaggerate the rich's gains, it is essential in providing supports and relief for our poor.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 AM

945 posts, read 777,892 times
The financial talking heads have been warning about the bubble in corporate debt. Investors hungry for yield are buying it packaged up in CLOs (collateralized loan obligations). If the economy turns down, a lot of companies will be forced to file BK because they cannot service or roll their debt. Their debt load is too high and rating agencies will downgrade their debt on reduced revenues.

This reminds me of the mortgage crisis. Their were a lot of people warning about it but few were listening. Is anyone paying attention now?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-most-realize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics