Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 04:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
There have always been lots and lots of small farms; i.e., very inefficient and expensive operations.
Larger more mechanized and more efficient farming and ranching operations have been displacing those small farms.
That will continue. That same sort of thing is happening in retailing.
And if the people affected would just stop producing workers for jobs that no longer exist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 07:53 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Farm Bankruptcies are up despite of farming subsidies

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news...go/4096381002/

Does this just mean the farmers are taking the subsidies, and filing bankruptcy so they dont have to pay their debts and retire on the subsidy money?
That piece needs some context. There 2,000,000+ farms and ranches in The US. FE Texas has not quite 250,000 farms and ranches........given that, the increased number of chapter 12 filings seems wholly unremarkable.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I don't know the specifics of the subsidies but I believe any & all of the aid to family farms is predatory & designed to result in loss.

That's been a goal since 1974, as defined by the NSSM 200 & was originally motivated by population control policy.

When you control the food, you control the people. Globalization of the food sources is a threat.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You keep saying "this industry". Farming covers everything from growing shrimp to sugar cane to honey bees. That would be like calling manufacturing "this industry", when it includes everything from building cars to refrigerators.

Many farmers do not receive subsidies & most subsidies are in the form of insurance. Research the matter a bit. https://www.thebalance.com/farm-subsidies-4173885
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Farming is suffering a bit of the 'Walmart destroying small town commerce syndrome'

Soon we will only have 'corporate options' for all raw food products.

Farming takes a masterful economic and budgeting skillset + ability to excel at cultivation and animal husbandry. That is a rare combination of talent. Schools have failed America, industry / manufacturing has left America, Municipalities / counties and states have taxed farmers off their land (highest use of land is to Grow Houses!) & there are MANY easier ways to make a living, but few easier ways to go broke. 50% of the farmers I knew and grew up with had a FT night shift gig to support their farming habit. Those jobs are GONE!

And... weather matters, especially when 'leveraged'.

Capital intensive businesses are not easy to keep alive. My 'retired' neighbors spend over $50k / yr on personal property taxes on previous business and farm assets they have not got around to selling (no one wants or knows how to operate 20 - 50 yr old capital assets).

Expect a LOT more farming bankruptcies.

BTW, you can track where the subsides are going (not to the family farm).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That piece needs some context. There 2,000,000+ farms and ranches in The US. FE Texas has not quite 250,000 farms and ranches........given that, the increased number of chapter 12 filings seems wholly unremarkable.
I found this article interesting, is from last year

https://www.heritage.org/agriculture...farm-subsidies

Quotes from article:

“Family farm” is not a synonym for “small farm.” In fact, 90 percent of million-dollar farms were family farms in 2015.

They also account for about 90 percent of farm production."

"Family farms are also not disappearing. In fact, family farms account for about 99 percent of all farms.

Further, the total number of farms in the U.S. has remained stable since the 1980s at about 2.1 million."

Old 11-07-2019, 04:56 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Farm Bankruptcies are up despite of farming subsidies

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news...go/4096381002/

Does this just mean the farmers are taking the subsidies, and filing bankruptcy so they dont have to pay their debts and retire on the subsidy money?
We don’t want food prices to skyrocket, which is what happens if large numbers of farmers have to close shop.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:35 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
We don’t want food prices to skyrocket, which is what happens if large numbers of farmers have to close shop.
That is an incorrect conclusion. Farmers remain if they make money. Fewer farmers and lower paid farmers means less cost. Large farms are just way more efficient and lower cost. They tend to be way more mechanized for one thing.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:17 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Very happy that my family has been very successful with their farming. Basically started with my uncle, and then his kids all split off the land and they’ve all done very well. One even has started a beef ranch and is now providing local restaurants with their beef. They are all very hard working folks though, it’s not for those that are looking for a quick buck, that’s for sure.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
That is an incorrect conclusion. Farmers remain if they make money. Fewer farmers and lower paid farmers means less cost. Large farms are just way more efficient and lower cost. They tend to be way more mechanized for one thing.
Fewer farmers means less competitors, which is a factor that can lower price. If there was only one major farm, they will gouge as much as they can.

I pretty sure small farms use machines too. I mean if you actually have enough land, and grow enough on it to be more than a subsistence farm, then I dont see how it be even physically possible to harvest all that with your bare hands.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
There have always been lots and lots of small farms; i.e., very inefficient and expensive operations. Larger more mechanized and more efficient farming and ranching operations have been displacing those small farms. That will continue. That same sort of thing is happening in retailing. There is just going back to the small, expensive and poorly stocked little corner stores. Sure a few will do well, but the vast majority will be replaced by more efficient retailing. Farms are the same. There will always be some small operations that do well but most are doomed.
And the end game is all of us working in a giant amazon warehouse or next to illegals picking fruit that machines can’t do yet.

Sweet

Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Fewer farmers means less competitors, which is a factor that can lower price. If there was only one major farm, they will gouge as much as they can.

I pretty sure small farms use machines too. I mean if you actually have enough land, and grow enough on it to be more than a subsistence farm, then I dont see how it be even physically possible to harvest all that with your bare hands.
Thete are different levels of mechanization and moving up that chain involves massive step changes unless the farmer is also an engineer and machinist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics