Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,340,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yeh, sure, you are all a bunch of mennonites/amish.
You say stupid things, get corrected, and retaliate with bigotry.

Cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:18 AM

34,914 posts, read 31,045,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is an incorrect conclusion. Farmers remain if they make money. Fewer farmers and lower paid farmers means less cost. Large farms are just way more efficient and lower cost. They tend to be way more mechanized for one thing.
There is a definitely a market, though small and somewhat niche, for the "local/sustainable" family farm type. Most areas have enough demand and people who can afford it to keep a few of those places going.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
From your own link

"Researchers studying more recent data have not yet determined if farmer suicides are increasing..."

You are happy to see rural people kill themselves and happy to post about it because you try to twist it into your own agenda which is all about your hatred for Trump. You are a sick person.

Farm suicides have always existed. Suddenly you care. Yeah right.
Perhaps you should contribute to the discussion instead of personally attacking me. Most resort to that when they have nothing to say.

Please do not tell me how I feel as you don't have a clue what I feel, and it is arrogant and patronizing to do so.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:50 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,340,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Perhaps you should contribute to the discussion instead of personally attacking me. Most resort to that when they have nothing to say.

Please do not tell me how I feel as you don't have a clue what I feel, and it is arrogant and patronizing to do so.
Cry me a river. You're such a perfect little victim.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:23 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is an incorrect conclusion. Farmers remain if they make money. Fewer farmers and lower paid farmers means less cost. Large farms are just way more efficient and lower cost. They tend to be way more mechanized for one thing.
They're also highly capital intensive - and have high expenses and debt to service. Most farms operate on really razor thin margins - and events such as bad harvests, sudden drops in prices due to oversupply, and other events can also put a world of hurt on them.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,178,188 times
Interesting. This would explain why Trump's approval rating has absolutely cratered in Iowa and Nebraska.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:35 AM

9,323 posts, read 14,236,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And... What% of those crops are consumed by USA taxpayers?

Very, very little, especially if we were not propping up a failed corn ethanol industry. (and pathetic USA biodiesel (made from soybeans, a very bad choice or feedstock, but USA biodiesel is controlled by US Soybean council). So.. as usual, the USA taxpayers are funding foreign aid to countries who prefer to kill us, and funding special interests (lobbyists / ex-politicians). Gaming the proverbial PORK of the system.

Waste of money, efforts, resources, national benefit. (= Lost "Opportunity costs").
I am all for subsidizing farmers, but you reinforce my impression that most existing subsidies go to crops that feed, to caricaturize it, Chinese pigs, and in return we get Chinese crap.

We could do a lot better by subsidizing healthy food for humans and the farmers who produce it; that would go a long way to resolving a lot of the country's problems in an integrated way - from health care, to foreign policy, to manufacturing policy, to immigration policy and, in short, to the economy on US soil, literally, and it would even help environmental problems take care of themselves.

All the best!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,732,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I am all for subsidizing farmers, but you reinforce my impression that most existing subsidies go to crops that feed, to caricaturize it, Chinese pigs, and in return we get Chinese crap.

We could do a lot better by subsidizing healthy food for humans and the farmers who produce it; that would go a long way to resolving a lot of the country's problems in an integrated way - from health care, to foreign policy, to manufacturing policy, to immigration policy and, in short, to the economy on US soil, literally, and it would even help environmental problems take care of themselves.

All the best!
True... the USA is a great 'opportunity' for the diligent and the crooks and politicians.

Successful Foreign countries are generally far more 'strategic' in policy for the best benefit of their nation and residents. Starts with what programs they support in HC and EDU and prepare their skillsets and resources to support. (You will note Singapore announced their 'country specific' AI initiatives this week, they will be as beneficial to the nation as has their previous purposed initiatives in Finance, Trade, Manufacturing, Health Care... )

NZ health ministry supports Menz Sheds, which would be a very good model for a USA farmer support structure. (mental and physical health). NZ also has a very unique AG role (much more sustainable than USA, of course very small scale as well)

Strategic countries will continue to prosper in a healthy manner, as long as corruption and selfishness does not become prevalent. (i.e. USA lobbyists and one term politicians)

Old 11-17-2019, 11:35 PM

24,530 posts, read 18,093,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

All the best!
I’m trying to understand the argument for supporting farm subsidies. If I do something for a living and I’m not profitable, I go out of business. Why is agriculture singled out as being immune from capitalism?

I don’t understand why I should subsidize “healthy food”. I want to know what’s in the food I buy. I can then choose to spend as I please if the food grown without Monsanto chemicals is more expensive.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,086,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m trying to understand the argument for supporting farm subsidies. If I do something for a living and I’m not profitable, I go out of business. Why is agriculture singled out as being immune from capitalism?

I don’t understand why I should subsidize “healthy food”. I want to know what’s in the food I buy. I can then choose to spend as I please if the food grown without Monsanto chemicals is more expensive.
But if there are enough dummies in a nation who don't care do you poison off all your heavy lifters for the sake of capitalism.

Thats one of the problems the USA is having right now, you have a mass of really dumb people but also super smart people. Well if you let the dummies dictate what is and isent avalible then you will colapse your entire nation. Not everything should be subject to supply and demand, watch idiocracy some time, do you want those people deciding for you what foods are avalible. Do you want to have to grow all your own food to avoid their idiocy?

Is that what we want our rocket scientists doing is growing food to avoid eating the crap that the masses have decided will be produced?

This extreme capitalism is what will destroy our culture. The base of Maslow's hierarchy was never met to be commoditized to this extent. Certian things should simply be available at a fixed low subsidized price (food, basic shelter, basic medicines, UNIVERSITY EDUCATION, etc) in a first world industrialized nation, period. We have attached a "free market" price tag to everything now. We would charge for air if we could, its sick.

If you want to sell a nintnedo switch or whatever free market away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics