Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It really depends on your stomach for this stuff.

My grandfather died in 2009, and I was left his 1991 S-10. This was the top of the line trim at the time - extended cab, air conditioning, sliding back window, etc. However, the truck was rarely driven from maybe 2003 or so on. It needed a lot of expensive work to get to where it might be reliable - even then, it was no guarantee. You could spend $3,000 in work on a car worth $2,000, then you might need another $1,000 - $2,000 of work six months or a year down the line.

The convenient thing is to get rid of the problem car.
I had a 1987 S-10 Blazer with a 5/unlimited GM extended warranty. An S-10 of that era is the most unreliable vehicle on the planet. I easily had $10k in warranty repairs on that car.

If you need to borrow money for a car, you should be buying a base trim level econobox. Anything more than that is feeding your ego. The exception is if you’re in a trade where you actually use the features of a base level pickup or van. A $50,000 pickup is a sucker play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
If someone is really upside down on a car, in some cases, its best to just let it be repossessed, and start over after that, basically cut their losses as soon as possible. It will impact your credit, but not to the degree many people think it does.

My uncle was upside down years ago on a truck and it was eventually repossessed, the bank auctioned it off and they never came after him for the difference for some reason. He bought a cheap beater with the money that would have went to car payments, and once the repo was over and done with, his credit score didnt take long to get better, If I remember right, he was able to finance another new car a year later.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If someone is really upside down on a car, in some cases, its best to just let it be repossessed, and start over after that, basically cut their losses as soon as possible. It will impact your credit, but not to the degree many people think it does.

My uncle was upside down years ago on a truck and it was eventually repossessed, the bank auctioned it off and they never came after him for the difference for some reason. He bought a cheap beater with the money that would have went to car payments, and once the repo was over and done with, his credit score didnt take long to get better, If I remember right, he was able to finance another new car a year later.
I stand with you on that. Some people knowingly make dicey financial decisions, then suffer even more after income loss due to hours cut, divorce, or having to change industries after a layoff. Sometimes the last thing you need is the majority of that 72-month high interest loan ahead of you, which may very well comprise half your income at that point.

Just stop paying. Don't pay every other month. Don't make partial payments. You're already behind. Don't sabotage the car. Just stop. In the time it takes them to repossess, you should be searching for a "$1000 car" which in your area, may be $500, may be $3000, that you can own outright for that much. Where that money isn't just a down payment.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:10 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If a 240-month car-note was offered, they will come!

Seriously, the price of a new car that is decently loaded, wow, for a lot of people that is a very
bad financial decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics