Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 11:00 AM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm a 40 year old single parent, with only a high school diploma and my occupation is a truck driver for a local construction company. I'm just burned out from going to a job and working for someone else everyday. I want my money to make money so I can work when I want. Travel when I want, around my son's school schedule of course lol. I have been driving truck for 15 years it's the only skill I really have. I've been reading a lot that freelancing your skills is becoming the new thing to do, but it's a hard to freelance being a truck driver. I just want to change course and earn more $$$ and have more freedom but in my situation is it even possible. I have a 401 with around 25k if it matters. Thanks in advance
The far far majority of people in America work for someone else AKA “The Man”. There is nothing wrong with it you just need to pick the correct job. My buddy moved from FL to a northern ATL burb and bought a bread truck route for somewhere in the $60k - $80k range. He works for himself as and LLC but has to get up at 4 am everyday and works 6 days per week. I think the latest he told me he nets just under $2k per week (not sure if after taxes or just expenses). Pretty sure the value of his route has doubled in the past 6 years that he has owned it so he has good equity there. His house in rural ATL was < $150k and is relatively nice so he makes out quite well as a 35 year old single man with no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
You may want to look for another career due to automation depressing local driving jobs when long haul trucking gets automated. This is much closer to reality than you think.

https://youtu.be/Qs69m9T-4Rk

https://youtu.be/sIlCR4eG8_o

Also I am in the transportation industry too and grappling with the automation issue as well. I do earn a decent wage though and save at this point a good chunk of money a month.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You may want to look for another career due to automation depressing local driving jobs when long haul trucking gets automated. This is much closer to reality than you think.

https://youtu.be/Qs69m9T-4Rk

https://youtu.be/sIlCR4eG8_o

That’s needed in the industry just to fill the shortage gap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...le-in-a-decade

Old 11-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That’s needed in the industry just to fill the shortage gap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...le-in-a-decade
Yeah you know my industry had a shortage too. Let's see, pay people $18k a year out college where they just dropped $60k on training (or easily more, like double) and expect them to keep lining up?

Eventually the new hire pay tripled and the top end pay has increased 50% or so to entice people.

So cry me a river when I hear shortage. Yeah. There's a shortage of people willing to be on the road for 50 weeks a year and sleep in their trucks to make $40k.

The marginal effect on increasing mileage rates 50% in the trucking industry will have a negligible impact on each delivered good and would solve the "crisis" overnight. Gas prices have a higher impact.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile Still remember....

Always felt I lived from check to check (except for one time in my life).

At one point, I had 3 jobs but I was determined to pay cash for a car and would not buy anything until I had the money.

I can still remember going into the department store, buying an outfit and actually writing a check (OK, it was in the early 1980's). Not on credit even though I had a card there.

I started saving $5 weekly until I got to $50 weekly and just never stopped doing that. I was determined to always have enough somewhere (real estate) in case I needed to liquidate.

I always paid the bills first; then worried about what else had to be paid.
Some of it was my college tuition.

One thing that helped me is that I had good credit so I didn't pay high interest rates. I made sure I got good loans and educated myself. I also didn't go crazy with shopping but when I did go shopping, I bought quality stuff that would last.

Make a list of what you pay each month; go through your bank statements and cut down on the little things.
For example, if you stop for a coffee or fast food twice a day, try to make it once a day twice a week instead of 5 days a week. Little things. See what you can cut out. Maybe it's $10 a month - start there.

Keep contributing to your 401K and forget it's there. Spending the time with your children is important also and will pay dividends one day. (I have 2 wonderful young adults in my life).

Old 11-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah you know my industry had a shortage too. Let's see, pay people $18k a year out college where they just dropped $60k on training (or easily more, like double) and expect them to keep lining up?

Eventually the new hire pay tripled and the top end pay has increased 50% or so to entice people.

So cry me a river when I hear shortage. Yeah. There's a shortage of people willing to be on the road for 50 weeks a year and sleep in their trucks to make $40k.

The marginal effect on increasing mileage rates 50% in the trucking industry will have a negligible impact on each delivered good and would solve the "crisis" overnight. Gas prices have a higher impact.
You are off on your income figures so your opinion of the shortage has to be discounted

Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times
Uh, this is one of thee most bizarre posts I have ever seen. You don't know how to be an indy trucker? You don't know anyone who is, or someone who runs their own trucks and has a few guys driving for them? Drivers are in demand right now, contract drivers even more so. I know a couple of guys who are small operators, they are thriving and have been for some time. One immigrant I know sold his gas stations and started a trucking company just last year. He made good money with his gas stations and real estate so he must have saw an opportunity in trucking.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are off on your income figures so your opinion of the shortage has to be discounted
Lol, my income figures are spot on for my industry

Average owner operators net 60k-ish or so after expenses, of course some make more especially if they pair up.
New drivers working for a company start around 40k. It might be closer to 50k now maybe.

There are of course companies that pay better but not the norm. Some are union like UPS but it takes a decade of throwing boxes to land a spot on their list.

Average fuel costs are more than avg labor costs in trucking.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Uh, this is one of thee most bizarre posts I have ever seen. You don't know how to be an indy trucker? You don't know anyone who is, or someone who runs their own trucks and has a few guys driving for them? Drivers are in demand right now, contract drivers even more so. I know a couple of guys who are small operators, they are thriving and have been for some time. One immigrant I know sold his gas stations and started a trucking company just last year. He made good money with his gas stations and real estate so he must have saw an opportunity in trucking.
A co-worker owned a trucking company. Had 10 or 12 trucks, and hauled for GM. Lost everything in the 2008 recession. GM left him hanging with over $1m in invoiced bills.

Tough industry.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Lol, my income figures are spot on for my industry

Average owner operators net 60k-ish or so after expenses, of course some make more especially if they pair up.
New drivers working for a company start around 40k. It might be closer to 50k now maybe.

There are of course companies that pay better but not the norm. Some are union like UPS but it takes a decade of throwing boxes to land a spot on their list.

Average fuel costs are more than avg labor costs in trucking.
Walmart is start drivers in the 80k, FedEx here locally is starting cdl drivers in the 70+ range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics