Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 12:48 PM

26,147 posts, read 21,372,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well little Jenny doesn't know how to budget her money is all I can figure.
Until you realize she budgets really well and that savings is her largest budgeted category
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Cut expenses or increase Income are really the only options...

Essentials vary... everyone agrees of Food, Shelter, Clothing... but the variables are vast.

I am not near as thrifty as my parents... growing up in Oakland CA we NEVER had heat except during Christmas when a Great Aunt and Grandparents came to visit...

As a kid growing up it was once a year for a meal out in a Restaurant... it was in lieu of a birthday party... all of us kids would look forward to our birthday dinner out... and this included never going to a Burger King, KFC, McDonalds... etc... it just did not happen.

When we went places like the SF Zoo... Dad said drink lots of water because SF put Fluoride in it to prevent cavities... being away for lunch meant brown bag which could have been as simple as a hardboiled egg...

I was 18 before I had tasted my first Soda...

Not to give the wrong idea... when the house needed a new roof... Dad went for the best materials... because it was meant to last... my parents never owned a new car all the years their entire married life... tires came from the used tire rack and bought one at a time...

One Christmas Mom's little VW Golf... stick shift with no radio or A/C needed tires... at least 2... I saw an ad for Michelins and her size was the low price ad leader...

Us kids said lets get Mom 4 new tires for her car... we said we would chip in for Christmas... and that is what we did... imagine... having a matched brand new set of tires for Christmas... Mom said it was perfect...

I just don't think people live this way today... but they should realize those that came before made plenty of sacrifices too...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-07-2019 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 03:05 PM

5,897 posts, read 4,385,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Cut expenses or increase Income are really the only options...

Essentials vary... everyone agrees of Food, Shelter, Clothing... but the variables are vast.

I am not near as thrifty as my parents... growing up in Oakland CA we NEVER had heat except during Christmas when a Great Aunt and Grandparents came to visit...

As a kid growing up it was once a year for a meal out in a Restaurant... it was in lieu of a birthday party... all of us kids would look forward to our birthday dinner out... and this included never going to a Burger King, KFC, McDonalds... etc... it just did not happen.

When we went places like the SF Zoo... Dad said drink lots of water because SF put Fluoride in it to prevent cavities... being away for lunch meant brown bag which could have been as simple as a hardboiled egg...

I was 18 before I had tasted my first Soda...

Not to give the wrong idea... when the house needed a new roof... Dad went for the best materials... because it was meant to last... my parents never owned a new car all the years their entire married life... tires came from the used tire rack and bought one at a time...

One Christmas Mom's little VW Golf... stick shift with no radio or A/C needed tires... at least 2... I saw an ad for Michelins and her size was the low price ad leader...

Us kids said lets get Mom 4 new tires for her car... we said we would chip in for Christmas... and that is what we did... imagine... having a matched brand new set of tires for Christmas... Mom said it was perfect...

I just don't think people live this way today... but they should realize those that came before made plenty of sacrifices too...
And the people the generation before you had a harder life style as well.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:00 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And the people the generation before you had a harder life style as well.
I was lucky to be able to spend time with my Grandparents... Dad's side a lot and Mom's side one summer when I was 4 and again when I was 10 and 17.

Dad's side would answer my endless questions of how it was during the Depression and how my Dad had a paper route and turned over all the money to his folks to help out...

By age 13 I had my school work permit and was paying into social security... and each Friday I paid Mom $20 of my earnings... something my younger siblings never did.

The farm side of the family was a totally different experience... they never worried about food and always had work... even if it was subsistence farming... they were really self sufficient and I marveled at the meals Grandma prepared from scratch... using her gleaming white Wedgewood Stove... have was wood fired and half electric...

In college I had some friends come with me once... it was a shock to them in that there was no "Garbage" can... table scraps went to animals... paper and wood burned in the hot water boiler and they only bought basics in town... sugar and coffee and cloth to make clothes... all the furniture in the house was made by my Grandfather and the family had built the house themselves back when I was 4... on that visit.

They had a very good life... up with the chickens and early to bed... no bills to worry about... purpose in life and it changed with the seasons... the furniture was similar to simply Amish in style.

My friends were asked if they liked chicken for Sunday dinner... they said yes... there were two less chickens in the henhouse Sunday...

Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,446,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Until you realize she budgets really well and that savings is her largest budgeted category
Why don’t you explain to all of us exactly how Jenny makes all of this work since it sounds like you have more knowledge about her than the rest of us instead of comments about how we all are making assumptions or are wrong about our ideas about what she does. Then you don’t have to keep making comments defending her multiple times.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why don’t you explain to all of us exactly how Jenny makes all of this work since it sounds like you have more knowledge about her than the rest of us instead of comments about how we all are making assumptions or are wrong about our ideas about what she does. Then you don’t have to keep making comments defending her multiple times.
Or, and hear me out for this, read the article.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Step 1 read the article in the op
Step 2 read the blog post in the op
Step 3 read the updated blog post I linked where I said she disputes the original article

I’m not clairvoyant I just spent 5 minutes reading what was put in front of us. Food for thought huh? Freaking amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Or, and hear me out for this, read the article.
Sounds simple enough. That’s how I became more informed than those reading a headline or single paragraph and then whizzing out ill informed opinions

Old 12-08-2019, 01:45 PM

10,288 posts, read 8,446,093 times
Quote:
Step 1 read the article in the op
Step 2 read the blog post in the op
Step 3 read the updated blog post I linked where I said she disputes the original article

I’m not clairvoyant I just spent 5 minutes reading what was put in front of us. Food for thought huh? Freaking amazing.

Sounds simple enough. That’s how I became more informed than those reading a headline or single paragraph and then whizzing out ill informed opinions
No you’re not clairvoyant, just looking fo reasons to defend her. The op doesn’t say how much she puts aside. Could be very little and stand to put more in. There’s plenty of people putting money in a 401k and come up short. With her lifestyle it’s quite possible she isn’t putting away as much as she will need nor have enough saved to continue that lifestyle inlater years. Why don’t you tell us her percentage? Oh wait, you’re not clairvoyant, just making assumptions she puts enough away.
I skimmed through her blog, skipped the list of beautiful,locations she costs.
But for all us other people that seem to miss it and read the article and blog and there’s several, please enlighten us.
Please don’t make assumptions like you accuse everyone else of.
This is so easy, just tell us how it all works. Oh wait you can’t, you just assume it all does based on 5 minutes of reading.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No you’re not clairvoyant, just looking fo reasons to defend her.
I don’t know her and couldnt give two ****s about her. You and others are just tossing out nonsense

Quote:
The op doesn’t say how much she puts aside.
It doesn’t state it nor did I say it did. The follow up blog post say she saves most of her monthly income so thank god my step by step guide to you covered that

Quote:
Could be very little and stand to put more in.
Could be very little but then that’s unsubstantiated speculation on your part. You could probably save more too right? I know I could

Quote:
There’s plenty of people putting money in a 401k and come up short.
And so what?

Quote:
With her lifestyle it’s quite possible she isn’t putting away as much as she will need nor have enough saved to continue that lifestyle inlater years. Why don’t you tell us her percentage? Oh wait, you’re not clairvoyant, just making assumptions she puts enough away.
Again unsubstantiated assumptions. I will sit here and wait while you quote where I said she is saving “enough”. It’s going to be a long wait though because it addition to your unsubstantiated claims you are also floundering and fabricating things now

Quote:
I skimmed through her blog, skipped the list of beautiful,locations she costs.
But for all us other people that seem to miss it and read the article and blog and there’s several, please enlighten us.
Please don’t make assumptions like you accuse everyone else of.
This is so easy, just tell us how it all works. Oh wait you can’t, you just assume it all does based on 5 minutes of reading.
Exactly what are you saying I’m assuming? You have done nothing but fabricated things and make claims without reading what’s put in front of you. I never stated she was savings enough so please take another wild swing to continue your foolish run

Old 12-08-2019, 03:05 PM

41,724 posts, read 17,308,429 times
Quote:
Really ? Where did you read that in the article ? Or did you just assume that's what is happening so you could "feel good" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics