U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM

19,727 posts, read 14,356,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
She updated her blog after the article ran because of the inaccuracies and conflict she had with the representation

https://jennythehenry.com/index.php/...-the-headline/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Really ? Where did you read that in the article ? Or did you just assume that's what is happening so you could "feel good" ?
It’s almost as though people just fail to read and instead just comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 12:45 PM

8,907 posts, read 5,763,927 times
Adulting, Henry.. who comes up with these terms???

Old 12-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Adulting, Henry.. who comes up with these terms???
Well one of those is an acronym which have been around for a long time. The other is slang also not a new invention that has just surfaced

DINKS-Dual income no kids would apply to one of the ladies mentioned in the first post

Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM

32,903 posts, read 61,303,612 times
That poor girl. Scraping by on $100K, multiple overseas vacations, and complaining about not being rich yet?

Mmm ... nope. No sympathy here.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 PM

18,897 posts, read 24,303,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That poor girl. Scraping by on $100K, multiple overseas vacations, and complaining about not being rich yet?

id like to see some of these spoiled kids live in Alaska off grid for 6 months....they'd have more appreciation

Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id like to see some of these spoiled kids live in Alaska off grid for 6 months....they'd have more appreciation
Or instead maybe you could do a bit more reading and realize no one was complaining or asking anyone to feel sorry for them

Old 12-16-2019, 03:44 AM

1,328 posts, read 662,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I mean it’s true. I never heard the term Henry, but my wife and I would qualify as that. We make 150k, but we’re not rich. We don’t go on big vacations. Once you hit 401k matches, pay student loans, and pay bills (cough taxes, insurance), there’s not money to be frivolous with.

I know every statistic would say we're top 10 percent in income for our age, but it doesn’t feel rich at all. We will be, but not today.

But it’s nice to be able to click on this person’s story to give them revenue to fund their woes.
This reads like you don't have children which can be far more expensive. The financial estimate is about $200K per child from 0 to age 18 (roughly) on average. I noticed daycare varies in costs but is generally a big part of the monthly budget. Factor in location, unexpected illness or learning complication, then it could be more. Or if one of them has an unplanned pregnancy in HS, then it gets compounded - failure to launch.

The millenials with $100,000 who are actually "wealthy" would have gone to inexpensive colleges or gotten huge scholarships so that student loan debt is non-existent. Next, they would live in place where the cost of living is low and did not rush into marriage and/or parenthood. Those types of millenials exist but are not the entire set. There are many with debt, single parenthood, etc. So, it varies.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:39 PM

28,377 posts, read 16,509,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah, but in Jennie's case, (from the link) she's travelled out of the country for vacation 3 times this year, buys name brand designer clothes, and gets her nails done, and gets her cat groomed. She HAS discretionary income...but thinks she deserves more.

Personally, I don't begrudge her how she spends her money. But I'm incredulous at her crying poor.
But here is the thing, she actually isn't asking for us to feel sorry, nor is she really crying about it. It was just the framing of the article to attack millennials just like publications attacked Gen X and Boomers before. Ask anyone if they should be getting paid more and I'm sure everyone would say yes. Maybe one or two would say no in all honesty. What we do with getting paid more is the difference.

I try and use $100 straight to savings with my normal checks. After my check Tuesday, my next two will be wonky due to the 10 days off for Christmas. I believe three are paid so 7 are unpaid. 7 unpaid days is 7/10 my check before you take out deductions. Luckily besides my Christmas week trip (I paid for most of my stuff already) I have expenses minus a tank of gas paid for and will not need until I'm back, potentially for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or