Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I look at a DIY project as an opportunity to buy more tools.
LOL! Clearly that’s why I have a garage full of them! But I do love my tools, and I really do enjoy using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 10:37 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,485,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
People just suck with money or are extremely spoiled, especially millennials.

You own multiple homes in arguably the most expensive city in the nation, while living in NYC, vacation 3 times a year overseas, and apparently you have debt from student loans or whatever. And you expect me to feel sorry for you cuz you shop at Forever21? You be trippin'.

If I was making 100K in NYC, my first priority would be getting rid of my student loan debt. Then make sure I don't spend over 2K/month for a studio or 1BR apt. My once-a year vacation would be Florida.

It’s a poorly written article but the person who owns multiple house isn’t the same one quoted as shooing at forever21.

Edit: maybe most of the folks misquoting the two different people can’t read what’s posted in the OP or simply didn’t read the article

Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh good grief.
Exactly. Henry is such a millenialism.

So stupid.

Live within your means, don't spend more than you make, save your money.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,784,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Throw on a student loan to get good paying jobs,
Might be much smarter to forego the student loan/college route and just get a good job for $80k or so. Probably end up $$ ahead, plus you have 4-5 more earning years and less stress. When did college become mandatory? Makes me chuckle to hear people whine about paying off student loans when they made the choice to go to college.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,336,486 times
I don't feel sorry for most college graduates I know, especially when they have consumer credit card debt in addition to the student loans they've racked up.

A car is not a "must have" in college nor is an expensive, study abroad programs in other countries, new clothes and handbags or restaurant meals. It is possible to get by without a car on many campuses, cook from the dorm with food bought from a grocery store and wear the same clothes from one year to the next.

In particular, I do NOT feel sorry for college students who are mad or jealous that their friend's parents pay for college.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:12 AM

1,064 posts, read 468,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Awww. Cry me a river.

Spoiled babies.

I don't make 6 figures and I have plenty at the end of the day.

It's the price you pay for living beyond your means.

LIFE LESSON
Spoiled? What makes you think she's spoiled? She makes six figures and invests in real estate. That doesn't seem spoiled to me.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:25 AM

1,064 posts, read 468,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"Adulting"???

I had to look this up. The Urban Dictionary says adulting is...

Adulting (v): to carry out one or more of the duties and responsibilities expected of fully developed individuals (paying off that credit card debt, settling beef without blasting social media, etc). Exclusively used by those who adult less than 50% of the time.

Being a responsible adult. Used by immature 20-somethings who are proud of themselves for paying a bill. Example: So tired from adulting! I went to my 8-5 job today! Look at me!

A fake word used by idiots (millennials mainly), in an attempt to turn the adjective adult into a verb in a feeble attempt to describe if a person is actually an adult or behaves in an adult manner and thus doing the things any responsible adult with an average or above IQ can handle. You cannot "adult" something. It is as bad or worse as the overuse of learnings in the corporate world.

Sheesh.
I think this is telling of how out of touch you are. I'm old enough to know that every generation before millennial have added words to the English language. The fact that you chose to harp on a particular word that entered mainstream vocabulary over 10 years ago is just strange to me. Referencing users as "idiots" to make yourself feel above or better than them is indicative of your low self-esteem and the need to feel better. I suggest that rather than putting others down, you look into yourself and understand how to resolve your internal issues.

Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Spoiled? What makes you think she's spoiled? She makes six figures and invests in real estate. That doesn't seem spoiled to me.
Didn't direct that specifically at her just to those identified in the title of this thread. But if the panties fit, wad them!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,632,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
I think this is telling of how out of touch you are. I'm old enough to know that every generation before millennial have added words to the English language. The fact that you chose to harp on a particular word that entered mainstream vocabulary over 10 years ago is just strange to me. Referencing users as "idiots" to make yourself feel above or better than them is indicative of your low self-esteem and the need to feel better. I suggest that rather than putting others down, you look into yourself and understand how to resolve your internal issues.

Good Luck!

Where did I call anyone an "idiot"? As I stated, I had to look up the term adulting in the Urban Dictionary. It's not a term I've ever heard anyone use before, either in conversation or online, so I wouldn't consider it part of mainstream vocabulary. The only commentary I added to what I read on the UD was Sheesh, which I would continue to use for 20-somethings who complain about having to grow up. So maybe you should heed your own advice. Good luck to you too!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM

5,906 posts, read 4,410,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Might be much smarter to forego the student loan/college route and just get a good job for $80k or so. Probably end up $$ ahead, plus you have 4-5 more earning years and less stress. When did college become mandatory? Makes me chuckle to hear people whine about paying off student loans when they made the choice to go to college.
Who's whining?

What’s with the amount of stupid people like you that think if someone brings something up it’s “whining”?

There are very very few blue collar jobs that offer the pay, longevity, stability, or options of places to live than my field. I’m all set with my path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics