Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 11:46 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe that’s part of the problem, the article actually covers two people. One an associate attorney who travels and owns multiple houses and another that wished to remain anonymous and is a graphic designer.
Yes the article is misleading. While the attorney spends everything she makes and has a good life, I wonder what her investment for the future is if any. At 100k and that young age I wonder how she got a few extra houses. Also she might be getting a positive cash flow from the rentals but not revealing that it help support her somewhat lavish lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 11:49 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where did I call anyone an "idiot"? As I stated, I had to look up the term adulting in the Urban Dictionary. It's not a term I've ever heard anyone use before, either in conversation or online, so I wouldn't consider it part of mainstream vocabulary. The only commentary I added to what I read on the UD was Sheesh, which I would continue to use for 20-somethings who complain about having to grow up. So maybe you should heed your own advice. Good luck to you too!

I see now, only after reading your this post above, that your entire previous post is a copy and paste of urban dictionary. You should really learn to use quotes otherwise it's hard to tell what part of the post is yours and what is copied from an external source. For example, the part where it reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
A fake word used by idiots (millennials mainly)
Looks like it's your response to the definition from urban dictionary... and that's likely the confusion.

That being said, it's quite a popular term and I'm surprised you haven't heard it myself.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/10/23/millen...feel-strapped/

Jenny Castillo chronicles her life as a HENRY: High Earning, Not Rich Yet millenial here on her blog Jenny the Henry: https://jennythehenry.com/index.php/...es-henry-lows/

Yes, so-called Adulting can be expensive, Jenny, if you make stupid choices. Welcome to being a grown-up.
I had to look up Bushwick; never heard of it before. So she's in NYC, a high-rent city. Why does she say (in the quoted passage of the OP) that she doesn't take vacations, when the article says she''s taken jaunts abroad 3 times in one year?

Some recent college grads have unrealistic expectations; they think they should be making "big money" more or less right off the bat, or after a couple of years during which they expect automatic big promotions. OTOH, compared to many in her generation, she IS making big money! She scored a good job w/a graphic design major, that's better than many other grads in her field and related fields (art, etc.) are getting, many of whom aren't even working in their field. I know one grad in that field who's been working for years as a dog walker.

Why hasn't anyone knocked some common sense into this kid? Where are her parents? Does she have any older siblings who can give her a reality check? I have a niece who achieved 6 figures after a few years in Silicon Valley, but she rents a spare bedroom from her older brother, and banks her spare $$. She'll be able to buy, not rent, when she's ready to, while Jenny will still be trying to figure out why her budget isn't working out the way she wants.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:08 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I see now, only after reading your this post above, that your entire previous post is a copy and paste of urban dictionary. You should really learn to use quotes otherwise it's hard to tell what part of the post is yours and what is copied from an external source. For example, the part where it reads:

Looks like it's your response to the definition from urban dictionary... and that's likely the confusion.

That being said, it's quite a popular term and I'm surprised you haven't heard it myself.
I read it the same as you explain due to the poor formatting. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I had to look up Bushwick; never heard of it before. So she's in NYC, a high-rent city.
Brooklyn is pricier than other areas... but it's not a high rent area comparable to Manhattan.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I had to look up Bushwick; never heard of it before. So she's in NYC, a high-rent city. Why does she say (in the quoted passage of the OP) that she doesn't take vacations, when the article says she''s taken jaunts abroad 3 times in one year?
If you read the article it’s talking about two different people. The attorney who travels and has multiple houses and an anonymous graphic designer who doesn’t travel and shops at forever21

Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Brooklyn is pricier than other areas... but it's not a high rent area comparable to Manhattan.
Thanks. I was looking to compare her location/rent on a national level, i.e. is she in one of the highest-rent areas (Seattle, SF Bay Area, NYC), or elsewhere. Not sure how Brooklyn stacks up with national averages.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Yes the article is misleading. While the attorney spends everything she makes
How did you come to this conclusion? It seems overly presumptuous

Quote:
and has a good life, I wonder what her investment for the future is if any.
Her blog mentions 401k contributions and the article doesn’t say she spends every dollar. If you asked my wife how she feels about our finances she’d tell you we never have much money and that we live paycheck to paycheck but the realty is our income is accounted for and allocated before we get it so what hits our checking account is a fraction of our “money”

Quote:
At 100k and that young age I wonder how she got a few extra houses. Also she might be getting a positive cash flow from the rentals but not revealing that it help support her somewhat lavish lifestyle.
Seems like a string of assumptions being made

Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
If you read the article it’s talking about two different people. The attorney who travels and has multiple houses and an anonymous graphic designer who doesn’t travel and shops at forever21
Thanks, I'll have to take another look at the article. Sounds confusing.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
It’s a poorly written article but the person who owns multiple house isn’t the same one quoted as shooing at forever21.

Edit: maybe most of the folks misquoting the two different people can’t read what’s posted in the OP or simply didn’t read the article
I didn’t misquote anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics