Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 09:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,511,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It’s very DANGEROUS to have a top 2-3% net worth by 35!!
Nobody said that.

He said it might be dangerous someone tries to listen to your financial advice.
I pointed out you're overwhelmingly scoffed at and mocked, so really not much danger of it.

Your response was nonsensical, which is one of the reasons you're viewed as a joke of a sideshow around here.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:05 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,863,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nobody said that.

He said it might be dangerous someone tries to listen to your financial advice.
I pointed out you're overwhelmingly scoffed at and mocked, so really not much danger of it.

Your response was nonsensical, which is one of the reasons you're viewed as a joke of a sideshow around here.
My “advice” (actually it’s do what makes you happy) is to be self sustaining by ~30-40 with no NEED to work for income.

Those who read my words will probably have an inquisitive/logical/goal oriented nature like myself which will allow them to read past the personal attacks on me and interpret my words for what they are. Therefore, I’m not the least bit worried about how I’m viewed. Some will take my words and run and others won’t.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM

6,921 posts, read 4,377,597 times
For anyone reading this thread that would like real advice on how it’s possible please go to reputable bloggers such as Mr. Money Mustache, Root of all Good and Jacob at EER. These people give a method and all their numbers. They are authentic.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For anyone reading this thread that would like real advice on how it’s possible please go to reputable bloggers such as Mr. Money Mustache, Root of all Good and Jacob at EER. These people give a method and all their numbers. They are authentic.
I agree. Go wherever you want to go...read all opinions. Those that decide to do it probably will anyway.

And personally I’m willing to put my words to the challenge against any blogger in the world.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:53 AM

10,309 posts, read 8,476,488 times
Quote:
My “advice” (actually it’s do what makes you happy) is to be self sustaining by ~30-40 with no NEED to work for income.

Those who read my words will probably have an inquisitive/logical/goal oriented nature like myself which will allow them to read past the personal attacks on me and interpret my words for what they are. Therefore, I’m not the least bit worried about how I’m viewed. Some will take my words and run and others won’t.
Your so called personal attacks are people who didn’t agree with you and asked for specific information and when you were unable to justify your claims you got chastised for it. Any perceived attacks were those you brought upon yourself. Your comments referring to yourself as smarter than everyone else was basically an attack on everyone else, so basically you started the whole thing.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:54 AM

654 posts, read 420,459 times
If you're taking a pretend nap at least give it some more time between posts, it makes it slightly more believable.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Your so called personal attacks are people who didn’t agree with you and asked for specific information and when you were unable to justify your claims you got chastised for it. Any perceived attacks were those you brought upon yourself. Your comments referring to yourself as smarter than everyone else was basically an attack on everyone else, so basically you started the whole thing.
You want specific answers to a topic (read the title) that doesn’t require those specific answers.

Show me where I attacked anyone. Not my style.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
If you're taking a pretend nap at least give it some more time between posts, it makes it slightly more believable.
Just laying on the couch watching some talk show...thinking about what I want to eat in a little bit.

I may finish raking some leaves today since it’s so warm outside.

I may say I’ll take a nap but who knows. Every second is a mystery.

Edit: probably K&W cafeteria since it’s awesome and they have a 2 for $16.99 special on Mondays....you get meat/2 sides/desert/drink x2 for that price!

Old 12-30-2019, 11:17 AM

26,172 posts, read 21,428,069 times
Quote:
You may know a lot, but I’m having to do a lot of explaining here which leads me to believe I’m thinking in a different language or something.
You literally have not needed to explain anything to me that surrounds math, investment planning or retirement. You shouldn’t feel the need to make things up

What I have questioned you on is your personal situation and all you do is duck it. I suspect it’s because you know you will not be able to keep everything straight

Old 12-30-2019, 11:22 AM

3,186 posts, read 2,389,577 times
Quote:
Just laying on the couch watching some talk show...thinking about what I want to eat in a little bit.

I may finish raking some leaves today since it’s so warm outside.

I may say I’ll take a nap but who knows. Every second is a mystery.

Edit: probably K&W cafeteria since it’s awesome and they have a 2 for $16.99 special on Mondays....you get meat/2 sides/desert/drink x2 for that price!
Boring life. Can you do it, maybe. You say you have a child so what is your annual support payments and what in addition are you required to spend on your child? Children get sick or injured and unfortunately insurance doesn't cover everything. What happens if this occurs and you are required to help pay the expenses?

I will tell you that if you count on your $800K investments to increase in value every year you are sadly mistaken. I have had investments since 1985 and while some years I have had substantial increases in value there are other years where I lost substantial amounts. The thing with investments are they are up and down and if you aren't in for the long term you are going to lose at some point. We let things play out, never touching the investments. Over time (yes time of over 30 years) they have done amazingly well but if I had attempted to no longer work and live on what I had back then I would be broke now. Instead of trying to live off of this money why not try and find something you like to do for work. While many look at their jobs as just jobs there are others out there who have jobs that they love and go into work every day like it is their first day. Maybe there is something in the self employment aspect that you enjoy doing. Not working for the rest of your life is just plain boring. If money were the only thing, then the extremely wealthy would sit on their yachts for the rest of their lives. They don't, because it is boring as hell.

If you want to give it a shot, go ahead but I expect that either you will bore yourself to death in a short period of time or you will find that your $800K is quickly dropping in value.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics