U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 08:50 AM

3,666 posts, read 2,485,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You could have turned to a CPA.
As a 503c7 I probably did not have the budget for a CPA, and in this case that was not necessary as the question was very straightforward.

I wish CPAs could deal with the cable company for me, or with private health insurers, or with a ton of other companies that suck butt to deal with yet somehow never sully the reputation of Private Enterprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:06 AM

8,985 posts, read 9,637,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
As a 503c7 I probably did not have the budget for a CPA, and in this case that was not necessary as the question was very straightforward.

I wish CPAs could deal with the cable company for me, or with private health insurers, or with a ton of other companies that suck butt to deal with yet somehow never sully the reputation of Private Enterprise.
CPA's and accountants do pro-bono work for non-profits all the time.

The IRS isn't going to help you with the cable company or private health insurance etc. either.

And did you mean 501 (c) 7?

Old 12-31-2019, 01:22 PM

3,666 posts, read 2,485,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
CPA's and accountants do pro-bono work for non-profits all the time.

The IRS isn't going to help you with the cable company or private health insurance etc. either.

And did you mean 501 (c) 7?
Yeah I think so, it was a few years ago. It was a simple question about current status, not accounting work.

My point was just that calling the IRS was an easier experience than trying to get basic information from the cable company or a lot of other private companies. The sad fact is, in the private sector, companies tend to be efficient and helpful up until they achieve significant market share, and then they trade on their reputation and push cost-cutting until the whole system collapses. Small business and sectors with low entry costs fare better, but the major companies that dominate the market basically all suck.

Also, the IRS mainly sucks because every time someone in Congress tries to implement reform to make taxes more user-friendly, private firms lobby to it shut down.

To circle back to the original point about "trusting" government, it's not a matter of trust. The government is subject to political motives, and companies are subject to profit motives. Neither is perfect, but each has relative strengths in different situations. There are lots of purposes for which profit motive doesn't work (caring for the sick, housing prisoners, military defense, rural infrastructure), but are still really important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics