U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:49 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,378,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
And yet, who pays the bills for our nation? Proportionality, you and me. There are just too many "excuses" for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes. They make the rules, of course they make them in their favor. The poor slob who drags down a couple hundred grand a year pays out the nose.....just as the people earning 50 grand a year do as well.
This is an absolute load of horsepucky.

The top 1% pay about 38% of all income tax revenue. The top 5%, over half. Your beloved bottom 50%? 3%

Quote:
Left to the Republicans, we would forgo the services which provide basic support to the masses. Of course they don't want a national health care system; they own the health care companies who rake in billions from our premiums. Of course they want massive military spending; they own the companies which make the missiles
More horse droppings. Yeah, let's have government-run health care... just like the VA. Oh, no, health companies "rake in billions"! So what? They provide hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs. They pay taxes. They do not make "excessive profits"... they earn roughly what any business does. And, either way, those profits pay dividends and provide value to millions of Americans in their IRAs and 401(k) accounts.

Defense? You have no idea what it takes to defend a nation. You have this idea that all we do is, what, buy missiles and stack them up? Soldiers and sailors and airmen need to get paid (and have their free, government-provided health care paid for!) Equipment needs to be maintained and replaced. We need to do R&D for new combat systems, because our adversaries out there aren't sitting around in 1950s T50 tanks... they're constantly developing and fielding modern weapons systems. Current- and next-gen aircraft, which can stand up to modern air defense systems, are expensive.

Quote:
Of course they want lotteries and other schemes which suck the life out of the poor; they own the companies which make the tickets and monitor the drawings.
You mean government, right? Because that's who runs lotteries. It's illegal for anyone else to have one. And all "the poor" have to do is simply freaking choose to not buy lotto tickets!!! But, that's why they're poor... not because of Republicans, or because not enough in taxes is collected, or because the Illuminati are conspiring against them; but because they make bad choices. Period. Stop buying lotto tickets, stop drinking, stop using drugs, stop having kids, stop buying $5 lattes every day, stop buying $200 per month TV packages and $100 per month cell phone packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 01:52 PM

12,681 posts, read 22,328,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's just absurd. She's morphing from a low information idealog even zealot into a more rounded and experienced person.
Nope.

If you had said she went to school and worked hard for her degree, interned, and got a good job meanwhile her HS friends never left their house after HS, work menial wage jobs and want free stuff and she realizes why that isn't possible now and not "fair" to those who work to get ahead, you would have a point.

But according to your story, her reason for switching from D to R revolves around taxes.

Quote:
After her first paycheck and the myriad taxes, fees and levies imposed by the feds and NY authorities she told my wife, "I gasped and almost became a republican right then!"
So yeah. Hypocrite.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM

18,000 posts, read 18,431,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So, you and your wife were paying tens of thousands of dollars towards your niece's college and law school expenses and she didn't know that????? Where did she think all that money was coming from??? A unicorn pooping out one hundred dollar bills and gold coins???

Why in the world didn't anyone tell her where the money was coming from while she was receiving it???
Quote:
My wife didn't want her to know.
So, where did your niece think that the $50,000 or $75,000 or $100,000 (or what ever) came from? Her parents? The government? Santa Claus? Did she even realize the actual cost of her education?

I agree that it was wonderful that you gave her the money
(my kids are in their early/mid 30s and are still paying off their student loans). It really gave her an advantage. But, if she is old enough to be a lawyer, IMHO, she is old enough to learn that her parents are not able to handle money well. I hope that it doesn't come as a shock to her if they start to depend on her in their middle age or retirement.

Your wife was a saint if she allowed your niece to complain to the two of you that you were selfish/etc., all the while you were paying a lot of her expenses.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM

8,985 posts, read 9,637,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm pretty close to this, though I identify as independent, we both know you either vote Democrat or Republican or you might as well have stayed home and not bothered to vote 3rd party for all the good that does.

I doubt she'll actually turn Republican. Making a comment like that is a knee jerk reaction to a singular topic, which is just one of many that matter in regard to political affiliation. Sounds like she has a much better understanding now of what it means to be part of the workforce and earning a living.
Good post. I'm not so sure. I don't want to get too specific but her econ. undergrad is from one of the saltwater/very left wing departments that's also regarded as a great program. I think she's already shaken a lot of that off. We'll see.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nope.

If you had said she went to school and worked hard for her degree, interned, and got a good job meanwhile her HS friends never left their house after HS, work menial wage jobs and want free stuff and she realizes why that isn't possible now and not "fair" to those who work to get ahead, you would have a point.

But according to your story, her reason for switching from D to R revolves around taxes.

So yeah. Hypocrite.
Not even close.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Not even close.
Lol I literally copied and pasted your quote.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So, where did your niece think that the $50,000 or $75,000 or $100,000 (or what ever) came from? Her parents? The government? Santa Claus? Did she even realize the actual cost of her education?

I agree that it was wonderful that you gave her the money
(my kids are in their early/mid 30s and are still paying off their student loans). It really gave her an advantage. But, if she is old enough to be a lawyer, IMHO, she is old enough to learn that her parents are not able to handle money well. I hope that it doesn't come as a shock to her if they start to depend on her in their middle age or retirement.

Your wife was a saint if she allowed your niece to complain to the two of you that you were selfish, all the while you were paying a lot of her expenses.
Over the years my wife and I paid roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of what she thought her parents were paying. orchestrating it such that she didn't know was easy. Although, I am a bit surprised she never figured it out.

Now I'm fairly sure she knows her mom and dad are lame with money.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Lol I literally copied and pasted your quote.
I'm talking about your silly logic not my quote.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about your silly logic not my quote.
Hey at least she's honest, instead of "the Bern" who feigns the plight of the common worker while never actually working a real job aside from "representative" and being wealthy.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:26 PM

15,264 posts, read 7,315,867 times
Good story. We avoid discussing politics at our house, especially around Thanksgiving. I don’t dare to find out where my kids stand. But my husband and I reserve our right to make non direct political comment, we choose to be more subtle. Hey it’s our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics