Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 11:12 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
There's a lot more to being a republican or democrat than the fiscal aspect. In fact, the current republican party is as fiscally liberal as the democratic party. Where they differ is on social issues. The good old days where the republican party stood for fiscal conservatism are no longer (at least at the federal level).

How does your niece weigh on social issues? The younger crowd in NY are generally socially liberal.
Yes, that is the main issue now. Many people who remain liberal are so due to social issues. The Republican Party keeps harping on social issues and they also are horrible on environment issues, which are more critical for younger people since they will be around to see the damage done by policies that many of the policies put in place by (mostly Boomer) republicans have done to the environment.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:34 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, that is the main issue now. Many people who remain liberal are so due to social issues. The Republican Party keeps harping on social issues and they also are horrible on environment issues, which are more critical for younger people since they will be around to see the damage done by policies that many of the policies put in place by (mostly Boomer) republicans have done to the environment.
I don't know why everyone things Republicans are anti social issues. They think certain things are good for society like marriage before having kids since single parenthood is the single biggest predictor of poverty. Can you give me an example of where Republicans are anti social issues?

Old 12-08-2019, 11:39 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't know why everyone things Republicans are anti social issues. They think certain things are good for society like marriage before having kids since single parenthood is the single biggest predictor of poverty. Can you give me an example of where Republicans are anti social issues?
They are often for social issues like telling a women what she can do with her body. Often issuing conflicting ideals like being against planned parenthood funding all together, being against abortion even in the event of rape and also against welfare while not lining up to adopt all those kids who need it.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Because none of that should be legislated. Moral legislation is why younger people abandon the Republican Party and either go Democrat or some form of libertarian.

Easy ones are gay marriage, marijuana, abortion, prayer in schools, other general nonsense

Old 12-08-2019, 11:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Republicans are more against using federal taxpayer money to fund abortions. They also view killing a child in the womb as the same as if you were to murder a pregnant woman - the killer would be charged with two murders in that case.

How the law can say on one hand killing a child is OK with parents permission but not ok without personally I find difficult to process. And I kinda sit on the fence with abortion in general so don't have feelings either way.

There were (and are) a couple of good Dem candidates this time around. Greg Delaney way pretty sharp but got very little traction.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
People who were liberal in college and become conservatives when they make good money never had any real convictions in the first place. And it's not surprising a lawyer can change sides easily to whoever pays the bills. Most likely she is now going along with the conservative lawyers at her work the same way she went along with her liberal classmates in college. Nothing at all to be proud of.

I was liberal in college and am still liberal at 73. I had a good public high school and university education subsidized by the taxpayers. I made a good living working in NYC for 34 years and got to retire comfortably at 62. I paid more than 1/3 of my salary in taxes and never begrudged a penny of it, was happy to be able to help pay for welfare, public schools, and whatever else my taxes paid for whether I agreed with it or not. I'm not swayed by anything other than my own conscience and beliefs, never was. The 51 years since I graduated from college has not changed what I think or believe in.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Sure, marriage before kids, but they fight tooth and nail to defund planned parenthood, which provides free or inexpensive birth control options for women who do not have insurance. Many younger people (aka the people of childbearing age) look at that and think it doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you want to reduce childbirth among unmarried people, then give them access to free/inexpensive birth control. Don’t fight to keep gay people from getting married. Provide viable paid parental benefits like they have in other countries so parents don’t end up having to leave the workforce because childcare is so expensive.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Sure, marriage before kids, but they fight tooth and nail to defund planned parenthood, which provides free or inexpensive birth control options for women who do not have insurance. Many younger people (aka the people of childbearing age) look at that and think it doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you want to reduce childbirth among unmarried people, then give them access to free/inexpensive birth control. Don’t fight to keep gay people from getting married. Provide viable paid parental benefits like they have in other countries so parents don’t end up having to leave the workforce because childcare is so expensive.
PP has a really nefarious history as well. Even recently.

Keep in mind their issue is using TAXPAYER money. Almost half the country is against abortion...150 million people.

Let's say there is something very near and dear to your heart. Would you be OK using some of your taxes to fund it? Probably not, right?

In addition to that, PP uses taxpayer money to fund political candidates that sponsor bills to aid in their funding and "business" activities. This would be like a President using government/tax payer money to fund their own PAC. Would you be OK with that?

Just so you don't think I'm making this up, here is a CNN (!) article acknowledging it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/polit...ram/index.html

Old 12-08-2019, 12:45 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts....

The 200 grand in NYC will get her through. In the high end legal world there are certain expectations---you either wish to run with the big dogs, or you never advance and certainly don't make partner. Working 80 or 90 hours a week, seven days, costs a lot in terms of meals out, transportation, clothing, paying for everything because you have no time to do things yourself. Not crying for her or anyone, just pointing it out. You use the money to effectively buy time.

Yes, everyone wants to be on the gubmernt dole until it comes time to pay for it all. The high earners pay more, be definition, but they still lead lives which are WAY in excess of what the mere mortals pay. I don't believe most people have any comprehension of what the real high earners make.....easily 6 figures a week....multiple seven figures a year. Collectively one percent earn more than ALL of the rest of us.

And yet, who pays the bills for our nation? Proportionality, you and me. There are just too many "excuses" for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes. They make the rules, of course they make them in their favor. The poor slob who drags down a couple hundred grand a year pays out the nose.....just as the people earning 50 grand a year do as well.

Left to the Republicans, we would forgo the services which provide basic support to the masses. Of course they don't want a national health care system; they own the health care companies who rake in billions from our premiums. Of course they want massive military spending; they own the companies which make the missiles. Of course they want lotteries and other schemes which suck the life out of the poor; they own the companies which make the tickets and monitor the drawings. And on and on it goes.

We pay; they enjoy a very fine lifestyle. 200 grand ain't nothing. Well, yes, the paycheck deductions, compared to the really wealthy, are huge. Welcome to the real world young lady.
I don’t disagree with much of your sentiments but I seem to recall in the 2008 election and afterward a big push for people making $250K a year to “pay their fair share”, as well as a new Medicare tax.

This was not an attack on people making 6 figures a week. In a high COL area $250K could be earned by a teacher married to a cop - pretty middle class sounding.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
PP has a really nefarious history as well. Even recently.

Keep in mind their issue is using TAXPAYER money. Almost half the country is against abortion...150 million people.

Let's say there is something very near and dear to your heart. Would you be OK using some of your taxes to fund it? Probably not, right?

In addition to that, PP uses taxpayer money to fund political candidates that sponsor bills to aid in their funding and "business" activities. This would be like a President using government/tax payer money to fund their own PAC. Would you be OK with that?

Just so you don't think I'm making this up, here is a CNN (!) article acknowledging it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/polit...ram/index.html
The Hyde amendment prevents federal funds to be used for abortion except in very limited circumstances so that’s really not the issue but more of a talking point

Also the majority of Americans support abortion being legal with some restrictions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics