Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 12:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don’t disagree with much of your sentiments but I seem to recall in the 2008 election and afterward a big push for people making $250K a year to “pay their fair share”, as well as a new Medicare tax.

This was not an attack on people making 6 figures a week. In a high COL area $250K could be earned by a teacher married to a cop - pretty middle class sounding.
250k in HH income puts you in the top 5% even today just as a reference point

Old 12-08-2019, 12:50 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
People who were liberal in college and become conservatives when they make good money never had any real convictions in the first place. And it's not surprising a lawyer can change sides easily to whoever pays the bills. Most likely she is now going along with the conservative lawyers at her work the same way she went along with her liberal classmates in college. Nothing at all to be proud of.

I was liberal in college and am still liberal at 73. I had a good public high school and university education subsidized by the taxpayers. I made a good living working in NYC for 34 years and got to retire comfortably at 62. I paid more than 1/3 of my salary in taxes and never begrudged a penny of it, was happy to be able to help pay for welfare, public schools, and whatever else my taxes paid for whether I agreed with it or not. I'm not swayed by anything other than my own conscience and beliefs, never was. The 51 years since I graduated from college has not changed what I think or believe in.
Just curious - how many of your 73 years were spent outside the NYC metro or Tri-State Area? Not counting trips or vacation, actually living and working.

You might not even question your convictions if you have lived your entire life in a place that reinforces them...

Old 12-08-2019, 12:54 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
They are often for social issues like telling a women what she can do with her body. Often issuing conflicting ideals like being against planned parenthood funding all together, being against abortion even in the event of rape and also against welfare while not lining up to adopt all those kids who need it.
Is 100% of the funding to planned parenthood going towards rape victims and finding adoptive families?

I didn't think so.

A majority of Republicans would be fine with having abortion legal. Some wouldn't, but they are definitely in the vocal minority now....which is used by the left to castigate the entire right.

At the end of the day, your issue, you deal with you....falls very comfortably in the Republican agenda....even if they can't officially back it or risk losing the Churches the Democratic party abandoned and Gingrich scooped up in the 90s. At the end of the day, nobody's going to ban abortion.

Except that's never the argument. The argument is that the government should provide abortions for anyone, paid for by taxpayers, with no strings attached, no questions, no communication to parents when there's minors involved and ultimately no accountability for the funds being spent. They are being asked to remain silent when random people show up in a classroom and start instructing their children about sex, and being gay and transgender. My kid got the first instruction in elementary school. Most of her friends were girls so she thought she was a lesbian for awhile. Then she got some hormones and saw Thor. Nope...not gay.

It was a little early, and because we aren't to know anything because it's a personal body right, we didn't even see it coming. A nurse in the hospital lectured me for a half hour about how they don't have to tell me if my daughter has any number of things that might be related to sex. We were there for a flu shot and a kidney test and I needed to bring her back on point to actually get what we needed.

That's where things fall apart. Being against Planned Parenthood is not being against abortion. This ghost of horrible Republicans has been conjured for political purposes and it's infecting everyday life and a source appears to be Planned Parenthood. Economically, medical time is expensive.

I hope everyone that feels they need an abortion can get one. I just really wish they'd not involve me, or my family, in the process. Rehashing Roe v Wade is disabused on both sides. If people would quit jumping to the mantle, this would be done and gone.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
The Hyde amendment prevents federal funds to be used for abortion except in very limited circumstances so that’s really not the issue but more of a talking point

Also the majority of Americans support abortion being legal with some restrictions
When you exclude cases of rape etc yes it's a majority but a small majority.

As far as not using funds for abortions, that is kinda a misnomer. So let's say your employer (Ford) forbids you from using their wages from funding a competitor. So your wife buys the GM car.

As asinine as it sounds that is what they are doing. They have a total operating budget and government funding accounts for almost half of it.

I'm not against PP providing their needed services but IMO, in order to appease everyone, the abortion clinics should be spun off and operated completely independently. And absolutely no political contributions should be allowed.

I'm not even against abortion or PP, but I can understand how the millions of people in this country feel. Especially when laws support one side and the other's viewpoints.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Is 100% of the funding to planned parenthood going towards rape victims and finding adoptive families?
Nope it doesn’t. The work planned parenthood does a ton of great work that has nothing to do with abortion

Quote:
I didn't think so.

A majority of Republicans would be fine with having abortion legal. Some wouldn't, but they are definitely in the vocal minority now....which is used by the left to castigate the entire right.

At the end of the day, your issue, you deal with you....falls very comfortably in the Republican agenda....even if they can't officially back it or risk losing the Churches the Democratic party abandoned and Gingrich scooped up in the 90s. At the end of the day, nobody's going to ban abortion.

Except that's never the argument. The argument is that the government should provide abortions for anyone, paid for by taxpayers, with no strings attached, no questions, no communication to parents when there's minors involved and ultimately no accountability for the funds being spent. They are being asked to remain silent when random people show up in a classroom and start instructing their children about sex, and being gay and transgender. My kid got the first instruction in elementary school. Most of her friends were girls so she thought she was a lesbian for awhile. Then she got some hormones and saw Thor. Nope...not gay.

It was a little early, and because we aren't to know anything because it's a personal body right, we didn't even see it coming. A nurse in the hospital lectured me for a half hour about how they don't have to tell me if my daughter has any number of things that might be related to sex. We were there for a flu shot and a kidney test and I needed to bring her back on point to actually get what we needed.

That's where things fall apart. Being against Planned Parenthood is not being against abortion. This ghost of horrible Republicans has been conjured for political purposes and it's infecting everyday life and a source appears to be Planned Parenthood. Economically, medical time is expensive.

I hope everyone that feels they need an abortion can get one. I just really wish they'd not involve me, or my family, in the process. Rehashing Roe v Wade is disabused on both sides. If people would quit jumping to the mantle, this would be done and gone.
How much federal funding is used for abortions? Ready up on the Hyde Act for context

Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
When you exclude cases of rape etc yes it's a majority but a small majority.

As far as not using funds for abortions, that is kinda a misnomer. So let's say your employer (Ford) forbids you from using their wages from funding a competitor. So your wife buys the GM car.

As asinine as it sounds that is what they are doing. They have a total operating budget and government funding accounts for almost half of it.

I'm not against PP providing their needed services but IMO, in order to appease everyone, the abortion clinics should be spun off and operated completely independently. And absolutely no political contributions should be allowed.

I'm not even against abortion or PP, but I can understand how the millions of people in this country feel. Especially when laws support one side and the other's viewpoints.
Less than half of PP funding comes from govt grants or reimbursement with the majority coming from largely from Medicaid and none of those dollars can generally be used for abortion unless in the event or rape or to save the mother’s life. Abortion counts for a very small fraction of the services. It’s not fungible dollars as you suggest in your analogy because the vast majority of dollars going from the govt to PP is reimbursement for services rendered not a fat blank check handed over for PP to do whatever they wish

Old 12-08-2019, 01:25 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Do you really think we are in a free market? That is charming.

Capital gains are taxed differently from income. Real estate investment gets tax privileges other industries do not. Large companies get tax benefits that are not available to small companies. We operate in a regulated market.
You really think that defines a free market - you need a lesson in economics.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Less than half of PP funding comes from govt grants or reimbursement with the majority coming from largely from Medicaid and none of those dollars can generally be used for abortion unless in the event or rape or to save the mother’s life. Abortion counts for a very small fraction of the services. It’s not fungible dollars as you suggest in your analogy because the vast majority of dollars going from the govt to PP is reimbursement for services rendered not a fat blank check handed over for PP to do whatever they wish
What can I say; we disagree. It's all one pot of money. "Less than half"...yes you are *correct*, but it's not much less than half and is by far their largest funding source and totals half a billion dollars. I wasn't wrong either "almost half" was my quote...yet you state the same but in a different way? There is research that shows roughly 1:8 "customers" receive an abortion at PP (along with other services). That isn't a "small fraction" IMO. You disagree, and that's OK.

If what you say is true, that the abortion clinics can subsist on their own standing, why the pushback to spin them off? It would solve almost all political issues and allow PP to continue to do good things in the community as well.

But there is still the issue of funding political candidates.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What can I say; we disagree. It's all one pot of money. "Less than half"...yes you are *correct*, but it's not much less than half and is by far their largest funding source and totals half a billion dollars. There is research that shows roughly 1:8 "customers" receive an abortion at PP (along with other services). That isn't a "small fraction" IMO. You disagree, and that's OK.

If what you say is true, that the abortion clinics can subsist on their own standing, why the pushback to spin them off? It would solve almost all political issues and allow PP to continue to do good things in the community as well.

But there is still the issue of funding political candidates.

There are a number of things here we simply disagree on. It’s not a single bucket of money though. It’s almost entirely reimbursement for service rendered so PP isn’t deciding where to spend the money it gets from the govt, they are performing services first. You would be more correct if the gift straight line just inked 500MM check and we then decided how to spend it ie gm vs Ford

Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM

Well you now know why there is this "us" vs "them" mentality. There are reasonable solutions that either side refuses to acknowledge. Let the abortion clinics stand on their own and stop political donations and you'd have a much stronger consensus on the funding of PP and make it much less contentious politically speaking.

I'd argue it might also be able to do more good and have more funding directed towards it as well.

And maybe it wouldn't have to sell fetuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics