Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times

Advertisements

We have some in-laws who make really nice money, I'd guess roughly $175K with spectacular benefits. However, I juggle cats better than these people manage money. Hence my wife and I paid roughly half of their oldest daughter's college and maybe 1/4 of her law school tab.

She was unaware. Further, she left for college as a left leaning kid after college in the NE and especially into law school she drifted into Sanders/Warren foolish dreamery. In other words she became idealistic, frustrated, angry, suspicious of success etc.

As a side note more than once I've had to hold my tongue while she lectured my wife and me as to how we needed contribute more to the needy, fiscal conservatives are selfish etc.

Two things happened to her recently.

1). Her mom told her that my wife and I had paid a good bit of her schooling costs.

2). After having two either unpaid or very low paying internships during law school she got her first real gig in Manhattan.

*Her pay is surprisingly high, to me anyway, at a little under $200K.
*After her first paycheck and the myriad taxes, fees and levies imposed by the feds and NY authorities she told my wife, "I gasped and almost became a republican right then!"

Back to Thanksgiving.....the greater family on that side spent Wed.-Thurs.-Friday at a lodge as it either rained or drizzled that whole time there was a lot of conversation. The kid apologized for maybe the 100th time for razzing my wife and me as we were paying for some of her college, I told her to forget it and never think about it again except to do the same or similar down the line.

Secondly, obviously she's very bright and now that she's been smacked in the face with the task of paying for instead of just talking about liberalism she's moved from the idealistic hard left much closer to the center and my guess is she will be a moderate-right soon.

Forgive the typos I forgot my glasses again.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
This seems like this is the wrong forum for this. Maybe better suited for the political or relationships forums

Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have some in-laws who make really nice money, I'd guess roughly $175K with spectacular benefits. However, I juggle cats better than these people manage money. Hence my wife and I paid roughly half of their oldest daughter's college and maybe 1/4 of her law school tab.

She was unaware. Further, she left for college as a left leaning kid after college in the NE and especially into law school she drifted into Sanders/Warren foolish dreamery. In other words she became idealistic, frustrated, angry, suspicious of success etc.

As a side note more than once I've had to hold my tongue while she lectured my wife and me as to how we needed contribute more to the needy, fiscal conservatives are selfish etc.

Two things happened to her recently.

1). Her mom told her that my wife and I had paid a good bit of her schooling costs.

2). After having two either unpaid or very low paying internships during law school she got her first real gig in Manhattan.

*Her pay is surprisingly high, to me anyway, at a little under $200K.
*After her first paycheck and the myriad taxes, fees and levies imposed by the feds and NY authorities she told my wife, "I gasped and almost became a republican right then!"

Back to Thanksgiving.....the greater family on that side spent Wed.-Thurs.-Friday at a lodge as it either rained or drizzled that whole time there was a lot of conversation. The kid apologized for maybe the 100th time for razzing my wife and me as we were paying for some of her college, I told her to forget it and never think about it again except to do the same or similar down the line.

Secondly, obviously she's very bright and now that she's been smacked in the face with the task of paying for instead of just talking about liberalism she's moved from the idealistic hard left much closer to the center and my guess is she will be a moderate-right soon.

Forgive the typos I forgot my glasses again.
My youngest sister went to Oberlin and was effectively a Marxist at age 22. Then she lived in Nicaragua for two years while getting a masters degree.

Fast forward a few years and she and her Nicaraguan husband, who is a small business owner, are trying to establish themselves here in the states. She reversed just about all of her leftist politics as well.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
This seems like this is the wrong forum for this. Maybe better suited for the political or relationships forums
No. It fits perfectly here. Because economics is at the heart of my niece's transformation.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
My youngest sister went to Oberlin and was effectively a Marxist at age 22. Then she lived in Nicaragua for two years while getting a masters degree.

Fast forward a few years and she and her Nicaraguan husband, who is a small business owner, are trying to establish themselves here in the states. She reversed just about all of her leftist politics as well.
I used to be a moderate fiscally conservative democrat, that's more or less and extinct thing now.

Two things drove me to the republican side.

1). The democratic shift from Kennedy/Samuelson style rational centrist trending towards conservative economics back to FDR styled endless vote buying through giveaways.

2). The Texas democratic machine's years long lying campaign against concealed handgun carry permitting in Texas. You can easily find old vids and speeches by Texas democrats (mayors, sheriffs, police chiefs, postmasters, prosecutors etc.) talking-how a CHL scheme would unleash untold violence and bloodshed on TX streets, cops would be shot regularly by CHL holders etc.
Anyone with any sense knew that was nonsense and history has proved what utter fools TX democrats were on this issue.

Here's the TX. CHL-holder's crime report from last year.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Re...Report2018.pdf

Repeat the above in every state that has liberalized CHL rights over the last 40 years.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
"If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not conservative when you're old, you have no brain".

Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
I’m not saying this as a criticism of you but more of just my thought.

You know too much about her financial situation and you also had 1 sided knowledge about aspects of it. I don’t think it’s fair to hold that against her and I don’t think she should be in the awkward situation where she has to apologize. You choose to do that with your money because you wanted to and it was important to you.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’m not saying this as a criticism of you but more of just my thought.

You know too much about her financial situation and you also had 1 sided knowledge about aspects of it. I don’t think it’s fair to hold that against her and I don’t think she should be in the awkward situation where she has to apologize. You choose to do that with your money because you wanted to and it was important to you.

Also, congratulations on having a family that may have differing views, but they seem educated and intelligent. That’s a far cry from the garbage spew I’ve seen at family functions that’s not even worth a response. I normally just sit back and laugh.
I'm not holding anything against her. She set out on a difficult academic path and made it work - very well.

Further, I never intended for her to find out that we helped with her schooling ergo I never intended for her to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed about it.

So far as knowing about her pay. She showed me her first pay stub.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:34 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I read the anecdote as an economic one, not a political or relationships one.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

She was unaware. (snip)

(snip).
So, you and your wife were paying tens of thousands of dollars towards your niece's college and law school expenses and she didn't know that????? Where did she think all that money was coming from??? A unicorn pooping out one hundred dollar bills and gold coins???

Why in the world didn't anyone tell her where the money was coming from while she was receiving it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.