Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So, you and your wife were paying tens of thousands of dollars towards your niece's college and law school expenses and she didn't know that????? Where did she think all that money was coming from??? A unicorn pooping out one hundred dollar bills and gold coins???

Why in the world didn't anyone tell her where the money was coming from while she was receiving it???
Maybe she thinks her parents paid for it.

People donate anonymously all of the time for various reasons.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:42 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Just a couple of random thoughts....

The 200 grand in NYC will get her through. In the high end legal world there are certain expectations---you either wish to run with the big dogs, or you never advance and certainly don't make partner. Working 80 or 90 hours a week, seven days, costs a lot in terms of meals out, transportation, clothing, paying for everything because you have no time to do things yourself. Not crying for her or anyone, just pointing it out. You use the money to effectively buy time.

Yes, everyone wants to be on the gubmernt dole until it comes time to pay for it all. The high earners pay more, be definition, but they still lead lives which are WAY in excess of what the mere mortals pay. I don't believe most people have any comprehension of what the real high earners make.....easily 6 figures a week....multiple seven figures a year. Collectively one percent earn more than ALL of the rest of us.

And yet, who pays the bills for our nation? Proportionality, you and me. There are just too many "excuses" for the wealthy to avoid paying taxes. They make the rules, of course they make them in their favor. The poor slob who drags down a couple hundred grand a year pays out the nose.....just as the people earning 50 grand a year do as well.

Left to the Republicans, we would forgo the services which provide basic support to the masses. Of course they don't want a national health care system; they own the health care companies who rake in billions from our premiums. Of course they want massive military spending; they own the companies which make the missiles. Of course they want lotteries and other schemes which suck the life out of the poor; they own the companies which make the tickets and monitor the drawings. And on and on it goes.

We pay; they enjoy a very fine lifestyle. 200 grand ain't nothing. Well, yes, the paycheck deductions, compared to the really wealthy, are huge. Welcome to the real world young lady.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:22 PM

23 posts, read 11,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"If you're not liberal when you're young, you have no heart. If you're not conservative when you're old, you have no brain".

LOL. I really like that.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Good on you, that you helped your niece. Great that she has made good use of the money spent on her education, has a good job. And that was perfect, that you told her that the way that she pays it back, is by paying it forward, helping some other young person through school. Hopefully she will see the balance, now that she's paying taxes. But I hope she doesn't lose her idealism, doesn't lose sight of the fact that we can create a better society for all our people, than what we have now.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I read the anecdote as an economic one, not a political or relationships one.
Right. The whole thing revolves around economics.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So, you and your wife were paying tens of thousands of dollars towards your niece's college and law school expenses and she didn't know that????? Where did she think all that money was coming from??? A unicorn pooping out one hundred dollar bills and gold coins???

Why in the world didn't anyone tell her where the money was coming from while she was receiving it???

My wife didn't want her to know.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Someone who changes their views due to money is a hypocrite.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I used to be a moderate fiscally conservative democrat, that's more or less and extinct thing now.

I'm pretty close to this, though I identify as independent, we both know you either vote Democrat or Republican or you might as well have stayed home and not bothered to vote 3rd party for all the good that does.

I doubt she'll actually turn Republican. Making a comment like that is a knee jerk reaction to a singular topic, which is just one of many that matter in regard to political affiliation. Sounds like she has a much better understanding now of what it means to be part of the workforce and earning a living.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Someone who changes their views due to money is a hypocrite.
That's just absurd. She's morphing from a low information idealog even zealot into a more rounded and experienced person.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Better than my thanksgiving that I spent with my wife's family.

I come from a long line of entrepreneurial small business owners, so my politics lean right.

My wife's siblings and their spouses are all very liberal, and one of the spouses is a sjw-type. The SJW spouse is a teacher; the rest never found a career and just kinda drift from job to job. The people are all in their late 40's and struggling financially.

We tried not to talk politics too much, but it inevitably came up. Every conversation included the following comments/phrases from them:

"It's not fair"
"Nobody should be rich"
"Why should they get to make all that money"
"Rich people are selfish"
"The govt should provide everybody healthcare and housing"
"There should be limits on how much money a person can have"

Ugh. It was exhausting to listen to and quite infuriating to me also. But I didn't want to create a fight during a holiday, so I just kept to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics