Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM

830 posts, read 486,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattenburgers View Post
Secondly sales/consumption taxes have a greater chance of harming the economy compared to income taxes since they de-incentivize spending money on goods while also possibly having other unwanted side effects such as discouraging tourism.
You could also say that income taxes discourage earning an income!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 01:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
At the very lower levels, I'd say yes. If you risk losing refundable credits that you receive by not working (at all, or as much) I can see the perceived disincentive. I am grateful I have not been at that level for some time, having to deal with making that decision, but I realize that many people are.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Sales tax taxes my "SAVINGS" not my INCOME, so to speak.

I don't spend money on ANYTHING I cannot afford, or simply, can do without.
Buying something (anything) is done at my discretion - 100% Nobody makes me do it. The only exception is insurance which is sometimes legally required. (there should never be a tax on insurance)

But, I have zero control over how much tax money is taken from my income as "income tax".

What about that don't you get?

Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

I don't spend money on ANYTHING I cannot afford, or simply, can do without.
Buying something (anything) is done at my discretion - 100% Nobody makes me do it. The only exception is insurance which is sometimes legally required. (there should never be a tax on insurance)

But, I have zero control over how much tax money is taken from my income as "income tax".

What about that don't you get?

Sales tax taxes consumption not savings.

You don’t have “zero” control over income tax. You can control the kinds of income you generate and what deductions you may get.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
My goodness.

Let’s say my state has tons of outside summer tourism for its thousands of lakes, some of them Great Lakes. These visitors don’t work or earn any income in my state what so ever. How do I tax them? A state sales tax on consumption.

The state is passing a portion of its revenue collection to outsiders.

Let’s say my state is a cross roads state, say THE crossroads state of Indiana. Or maybe Ohio. Millions of people just passing thru. How do I tax them as a state? Income tax? Nope.

Or let’s say I’m an income tax free state with a certain desert city people like to visit. Or another one that’s a swampy state full of retirees who might not have tons of earned w2 income.

Voters in my state...do you want to pay a 12 percent income tax to fund our operations? No? Ok. Do you want to pass tax burden onto people who can’t vote in our state while lowering your overall burden to have our state function? Yes! Heres your 7 percent sales tax.

Wow that was hard to prove that income taxes aren’t “objectively” better for a state to raise revenue.
This logic also works on a national level. If you have a VAT or national sales tax you can tax tourism and much more critically imports, without taxing exports, and without igniting a trade war due to explicit tariffs. An income tax on the flip side taxes the profits made off of exports but leaves imports completely untaxed. European style VAT regimes are much more well optimized for shifting part of the burden of local taxation onto foreign countries than our system is.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:13 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Sales tax transfers the focus of tax enforcement apparatus (i.e. the IRS) from the millions who make a paycheck, to the small minority who own and operate retail businesses.

When enforcement is focused on a small minority, the scope for abusive enforcement greatly expands. When only the small minority is affected, the masses tend not to care so much about abuse. If you're not a witch, what do you care about witch trials?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:51 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Your understanding of the term objective is as poor as your understanding of different types of taxes.
Don't make fun of the simple-minded economically illiterate. One day, they'll be the ones who change our diapers when we're in a nursing home.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sales taxes are inferior, mainly because they are regressive and hurt the poor far more than the wealthy.
That's irrelevant, of course.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
It does. That's just one reason it is a bad tax.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Nope. Sales tax taxes your CONSUMPTION, not your savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics