U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:12 PM

4,937 posts, read 3,015,616 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why a 20-year-old would need a car. Then I saw the $150,000 house price. Those two things seem to go hand-in-hand.

In an urban city, the kid would have a transit pass instead. The starter studio condo (with dad's help!) might cost twice as much in some regions but there'd be no car expense.

The condo price might seem huge but at least much of each payment is paying himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 08:43 PM

8,058 posts, read 16,594,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
This is where consumerism has run amuck.

In my world, coming from people that came out of poverty - extracurricular activities, birthdays and band don’t cost that much.

Sounds like something a yuppie would say. Lol.
The yuppie luxury of the kind of orthodontic work kids commonly need these days will run you $5-6k and dental insurance typically doesn’t cover that. And ‘bad teeth’, especially with younger adults, are something that can actually keep you from getting a good job where a neat and clean appearance matters

Old 12-22-2019, 08:49 PM

12,327 posts, read 7,414,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The yuppie luxury of the kind of orthodontic work kids commonly need these days will run you $5-6k and dental insurance typically doesn’t cover that. And ‘bad teeth’, especially with younger adults, are something that can actually keep you from getting a good job where a neat and clean appearance matters
Ouch. That’s why I wouldn’t retire on the bare minimum...need a healthy cushion.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 707,657 times
Quote:
The $200k is as good with me as it is the child.
The title of your thread is to give the 18yo $200k but why wouldn't you keep it in your portfolio and let it grow until the child is ready to receive it? I don't think that age is 18.

Quote:
Now let’s start the great migration of people from large cities to low cost of living areas.
If everyone moved to the low COL areas and got government paid healthcare, there would be no one paying taxes to support your free healthcare. How would your free, or $38 a month healthcare be funded? I'm seriously interested in your answer.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:56 PM

12,327 posts, read 7,414,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
The title of your thread is to give the 18yo $200k but why wouldn't you keep it in your portfolio and let it grow until the child is ready to receive it? I don't think that age is 18.
It would probably be best to give a little at a time to prevent debt that hangs around most young people’s neck.

Quote:
If everyone moved to the low COL areas and got government paid healthcare, there would be no one paying taxes to support your free healthcare. How would your free, or $38 a month healthcare be funded? I'm seriously interested in your answer.
I don’t personally NEED free healthcare. But the way the system is structured, I would be stupid to not take it. And I was being facetious, btw — I know only a small number of people will want to take this path. And most probably aren’t dedicated enough even if they absolutely hate their job.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 PM

6,242 posts, read 4,495,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

That's the flaw in his thinking. He isn't looking past a few years. When he gets older that health care will be very important. And yes, even though he titled the thread, he changes the story a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics