U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 01:10 AM

12,547 posts, read 8,404,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Dating? Socializing? Maybe travel or road trips? New clothes? Hobbies? Clubbing?

Not everyone wants to live the life of a loner working all the time and cancelling dates and events that cost money.
Dating? People that require a lot of money to be in your presence probably aren’t worth your time or money.

What type of socializing? Country clubs or something?

Travel/road trips...do whatever basically broke college kids do. Maybe 3-4 people pitching in and sharing the cost of a room.

Clothes...hit up sales at Gabe’s, Old Navy, Burlington, etc. I didn’t do it, but you could probably get by shopping at Goodwill.

Clubbing? LOL.

Hobbies - I did stuff like basketball, weight lifting, reading, learning, watching tv, etc.

Hell, go to church and knock out dating, clubbing, socializing, travel and hobbies in one place that’s basically free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,315,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Dating? People that require a lot of money to be in your presence probably aren’t worth your time or money.

What type of socializing? Country clubs or something?

Travel/road trips...do whatever basically broke college kids do. Maybe 3-4 people pitching in and sharing the cost of a room.

Clothes...hit up sales at Gabe’s, Old Navy, Burlington, etc. I didn’t do it, but you could probably get by shopping at Goodwill.

Clubbing? LOL.

Hobbies - I did stuff like basketball, weight lifting, reading, learning, watching tv, etc.

Hell, go to church and knock out dating, clubbing, socializing, travel and hobbies in one place that’s basically free.
Church LOL

Watching tv LOL

BORING. DRIVEL.

Oh wait...I should add "for me, YMMV"

Why so hard for you to understand people have different likes?

Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 AM

9,859 posts, read 4,764,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Because he lacks the self-awareness to realize how full of himself he is.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:47 AM

12,547 posts, read 8,404,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Church LOL

Watching tv LOL

BORING. DRIVEL.

Oh wait...I should add "for me, YMMV"

40 year working careers at uninspiring jobs is.....BORING DRIVEL.

My words shouldn’t offend anyone. If you don’t like the path don’t follow it...

I do think my perspective is something that should exist...not sure if anyone else wants to adopt it.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,315,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
40 year working careers at uninspiring jobs is.....BORING DRIVEL.

My words shouldn’t offend anyone. If you don’t like the path don’t follow it...
"offend" LOL. Only by the lack of knowledge behind them.

Does it help you sleep better to believe that everyone else is working these uninspiring jobs?

Old 12-14-2019, 08:55 AM

8,551 posts, read 6,036,809 times
Well now that this is been going on for some posts, my concern again would be the child’s attitude.
Being given everything can make for a terrible person.
Reading the op feelings towards how others make their way is an example. The putting down of how others live their lives, the reality check that a lot of people actually pay their own ways or when they get older and live at home contribute to expenses.
Remember that permabear poster. Bragging about how well he’s done financially while living at home with mom well past 18. Constantly complaining and putting down others?
Op sounds like he would spoil the kid and create another person like that.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:58 AM

8,551 posts, read 6,036,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Because he lacks the self-awareness to realize how full of himself he is.
You missed it . He is a .00001er. Much smarter than everyone else for being given the large chunk of capital and not having worked for it while having everyone else support him.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,954,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've worked in investment management/wealth management for a long time. I've seen parents give kids trust funds many, many times. 9/10 you end up with an entitled kid who doesn't know how to work and fights every step of the way to withdraw more money than they should. Giving someone money (even in a fund that can't be touched until they are 25) doesn't do anything to teach finance. College can be affordable. Send them to a community college for a few years, then transfer into a traditional university and require them to work while doing that. They can graduate with little debt, and take actual courses on finance/accounting/economics that will teach them how to properly manage that money.

From what I've seen in the wealth management industry, kids who are just handed money without having to work for it rarely treat that money properly.
I'm thrilled I was finally able to give you another +1

Old 12-14-2019, 10:52 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,954,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Lots of people seem to equate education with learning skills to earn money. I don't.
And you are correct.

An education can lead to earning potential, but that is not the goal.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:11 AM

6,467 posts, read 5,424,188 times
This day and age, it's hit and miss to get a good job, even for a kid just out of university.

I think $200K would be a wonderful start as long as it can't be touched until they are mature enough, AND as long as they aren't into drugs or heavy partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics