Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 06:24 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,427,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
That was just an example of a few things, in reality the list is much longer of things that will need to be repaired/replaced.

That was in response to you being in the top 2%, not on why a cheaper area is better. Your income of $20k a year would put you right at the bottom and I'm in Virginia not NYC/LA, you would be in even rougher shape there. Net worth doesn't mean much, as I said before you could not even afford the the holding costs on a modest condo around here. I don't know the age specific HHI, but median annual HHI across all ages is $200k. With your math they could all join you in the south and retire in about 4 years, amazing. Seeing as you never give any details and are constantly changing your stories, it's hard to know exactly where you live.
Just about everyone in the FIRE movement who considers $600k to be enough is not going to live in "the average house". The flaw is in assuming that averages apply to people who have almost totally rejected social norms as far as lifestyle is concerned (not saying that is a bad thing necessarily, I am a "rebel" too, but in a different way which is beyond the scope of this thread).

Within the state of Virginia, you have very expensive areas near DC and much cheaper areas in Appalachian foothills further west in the state. A person who is not employed is not tethered to a HCOL or even an average COL area. A quick cursory search online and I see houses for about $40k in small town western Virginia. Perhaps you could speculate that some of these are fixer-uppers, but even if we double the price it is still only $80k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 07:09 AM

1,982 posts, read 733,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Just about everyone in the FIRE movement who considers $600k to be enough is not going to live in "the average house". The flaw is in assuming that averages apply to people who have almost totally rejected social norms as far as lifestyle is concerned (not saying that is a bad thing necessarily, I am a "rebel" too, but in a different way which is beyond the scope of this thread).

Within the state of Virginia, you have very expensive areas near DC and much cheaper areas in Appalachian foothills further west in the state. A person who is not employed is not tethered to a HCOL or even an average COL area. A quick cursory search online and I see houses for about $40k in small town western Virginia. Perhaps you could speculate that some of these are fixer-uppers, but even if we double the price it is still only $80k.
Just about every story I read about a FIRE couple retired at 35 is misleading because they always seem to leave out they are still working producing income in some unconventional means. Eddie is no exception, he is misleading in that he doesn’t talk in terms of household income as his wife is still working full time and is the bread winner in his fantasy world.

As someone else alluded to in this thread, he is nothing more than a stay at home dad.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,836,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Just about every story I read about a FIRE couple retired at 35 is misleading because they always seem to leave out they are still working producing income in some unconventional means. Eddie is no exception, he is misleading in that he doesn’t talk in terms of household income as his wife is still working full time and is the bread winner in his fantasy world.

As someone else alluded to in this thread, he is nothing more than a stay at home dad.
But what expenses do I NEED shared? The house is paid for. The power bill?

Let’s not pretend I’m on the edge financially without someone to help.

Most stay at home parent aren’t contributing financially - I simply paid upfront financially by providing a home that’s paid for.and a nest egg that provides financial security (not to mention my knowledge).

Old 12-21-2019, 09:32 AM

10,284 posts, read 8,440,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post

A kept man. Lol

Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM

5,897 posts, read 4,383,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
But what expenses do I NEED shared? The house is paid for. The power bill?

Let’s not pretend I’m on the edge financially without someone to help.

Most stay at home parent aren’t contributing financially - I simply paid upfront financially by providing a home that’s paid for.and a nest egg that provides financial security (not to mention my knowledge).
Your “knowledge” of finance is basically non existent.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:49 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,865,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
A kept man. Lol
Until the person supporting him has had enough.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:36 AM

10,284 posts, read 8,440,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Your “knowledge” of finance is basically non existent.
As far as we know he has not proven any knowledge, only patting himself on the back.
I’ve asked him more than once to show his budget and his projections and plans and he ignores my posts about that. He either has no plans and is lucky his wife is the breadwinner and the market has done well.
I think he is close enough to the edge that if the market heads south, he will be in trouble.
Based on his vagueness I think everyone mostly agrees he is not what he claims to be.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:14 PM

26,146 posts, read 21,364,265 times
The answer to the question in the thread title is: yes it could be better to give a teenager 200k than investing in a college education. The probability of which that occurs could be debatable but the thread has turned into mush

Old 12-21-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The answer to the question in the thread title is: yes it could be better to give a teenager 200k than investing in a college education. The probability of which that occurs could be debatable but the thread has turned into mush
For some reason, many adults are unable to discuss topics I bring up without getting personal or offended. We’ve been taught life works a certain way and we don’t want anyone rocking the boat.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As far as we know he has not proven any knowledge, only patting himself on the back.
I’ve asked him more than once to show his budget and his projections and plans and he ignores my posts about that. He either has no plans and is lucky his wife is the breadwinner and the market has done well.
I think he is close enough to the edge that if the market heads south, he will be in trouble.
Based on his vagueness I think everyone mostly agrees he is not what he claims to be.
What budget, projections and plans.

I’m just a dummy that found a side door out of the rat race. I’ve already listed about all my bills countless times.

I’m not sure why the mechanics of a low bills/low income way of life in clouded in mystery to some people. We’ve got like 4 people here that can put their minds on that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics