U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 05:22 AM

4,075 posts, read 1,858,657 times

Advertisements

Not to worry, McDonalds is beating you to the punch. Shiny new kiosks that can speak any language, are ready when you are, never taking breaks and allow you to get the food order the way you want it... They've cut half their jobs already, and with turnover so high....it's easy.

Keep piling on more labor laws and hiking minimum wage above market....McDonalds will turn into a giant vending machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 05:33 AM

7,657 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Most municipalities have attracted a bunch of crooks and scumbags to the zoning boards. Often these are local businessmen who want to restrict competition by not allowing competitors to open stores. When I moved to Long Island, the local stores had managed to fend off any of the major chains. The grocery stores were the worst I had seen anywhere including when I lived in the rural South. They were dirty with worn out flooring, rusty carts, limited stock and high prices.

When I moved I tried to fix up my house. I had difficulty getting supplies at the local hardware stores. Again they were crowded, under stocked and prices were high.

Finally, years later, the flood gates opened. It started with a major grocery store. The local stores had to quickly clean up their acts or go out of business. Soon Home Depot and Lowe's and KMart also opened stores. That cleared out a bunch of the worst of the local stores.

Whenever I hear comments about supporting your local businesses, I cringe. Why? There are plenty of local stores that offer great quality goods and services. Those that are ripping off the customer should go under. Fast food is a good example. We have McDs and Burger King and Pizza Hut, but way more local brands. There are Pizza places on every corner. The competition is fierce and the local Pizza Hut went out of business. Delis are about the same. We have a deli/sandwich shop on every corner. The last one that closed and went out of business was a Subway.

If you don't like the large chains, do use them. Personally I like the minimum standards that every McD's sets. It is expensive, salty food. That leaves plenty of opportunity for a local store to compete.
Its always a boon to the consumer once human trafficing and slave labor enter the picture.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Again, the minimum wage is $0. When people are earning nothing, which is the situation some people will end up in, 100% of their expenses will be paid by welfare. Assuming they have no friends or family to support them.

Are you not concerned about how people are going to get on the first rung of the economic ladder? Nobody is born with job skills worth $20 an hour. If you disagree, please feel free to pay that to your babysitter and tip your waitress, barista and pizza delivery person accordingly.
This is the crux of the issue, I dont believe that 60% of the american people are derilict and retarded and deserve a wage less than $20/hr. Yes I believe that there is a 5% subset of usless people that deserve less than $20/hr but I think greedy business are a MUCH larger threat to communities who are exploiting people who have few options.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Not to worry, McDonalds is beating you to the punch. Shiny new kiosks that can speak any language, are ready when you are, never taking breaks and allow you to get the food order the way you want it... They've cut half their jobs already, and with turnover so high....it's easy.

Keep piling on more labor laws and hiking minimum wage above market....McDonalds will turn into a giant vending machine.
Sweet that will employ electrical engineers and technicians. when the rubber meets the road these sleazy business owners won't pony up for the automation. The automation has been available for years now and these crap bags just are too greedy to pay.

So I say bring it on if you can provide a fully automated restaurant that would be awesome. This is the same tired argument worthless business owners with tired sad business models have been bringing up for years.

I am a big-time CNC guy and I am all about automation ... so do it, oh wait electrical engineers wont pander to your sorry a$$ they would rather see you fold up shop and starve because of your a crap bag human being who is not really a business owner but a charlatan.

I want to see municipalities start ferriting these people out and ensuring they end up loosing thier busniness and having their assets seiezed in total in forclosure and bankruptcy including their personal assets and even tried for human rights violations.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
WUH?????? Can they do it, maybe...........but they should not.

I am currently in a small, kinda dilapidated desert city in California........there are lots of fairly large building that are empty, have been so at least since the last time I was here a year ago.

Guess what, if some of those Mcjobs where to hit here due to those empty buildings being filled with
Mcbusinesses, it would be a better place, more jobs, more competition, more places to shop.
Desperate pandering

Old 12-15-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Again, the minimum wage is $0. When people are earning nothing, which is the situation some people will end up in, 100% of their expenses will be paid by welfare. Assuming they have no friends or family to support them.

Are you not concerned about how people are going to get on the first rung of the economic ladder? Nobody is born with job skills worth $20 an hour. If you disagree, please feel free to pay that to your babysitter and tip your waitress, barista and pizza delivery person accordingly.
I would rather just pay welfare for what it is than subsidize some greasy sleasy scum ball who tries to pass himself off as a "business owner". Most town centers have a very limited slots of prime real estate and if I were city council I would not want some greasy sleaze occuping that space no matter how much cheap consumers were willing to patronize to save a buck and sell out their fellow man.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:26 AM

1,361 posts, read 692,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If the RE sits, the price will get cheaper and cheaper. That will lower an entry barrier for new entrants into the sector.
Or the buildings stay boarded up because restaurant workers have to be paid more than twice the previously going rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am picturing a lot of illegals.
Citation?

Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 AM

1,361 posts, read 692,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would rather just pay welfare for what it is than subsidize some greasy sleasy scum ball who tries to pass himself off as a "business owner". Most town centers have a very limited slots of prime real estate and if I were city council I would not want some greasy sleaze occuping that space no matter how much cheap consumers were willing to patronize to save a buck and sell out their fellow man.
Once you've run all the employers--I mean, scumbags out of town, who's going to pay for a large portion of the population to sit around all day collecting welfare?

BTW, you haven't commented on whether you put your money where your mouth is by never hiring babysitters, or someone to mow your lawn, or teach your kids piano, or cook your food, or drive you somewhere, since those are all jobs that don't pay $20 an hour. Of course, you're free to pay some of those people $20 an hour yourself or tip them very generously. Do you?

Old 12-15-2019, 07:24 AM

6,692 posts, read 3,241,688 times
Quote:
This is the crux of the issue, I dont believe that 60% of the american people are derilict and retarded and deserve a wage less than $20/hr.
False equivalency. A position that pays less than $20/hour isn't implying someone is "derillict and retarded" (irony) it just means that position is easy to fill and requires little training or skills.

Quote:
Sweet that will employ electrical engineers and technicians. when the rubber meets the road these sleazy business owners won't pony up for the automation. The automation has been available for years now and these crap bags just are too greedy to pay.
You're greatly underestimating how much employees (even minimum wage ones) cost. I can assure you that as soon as the cost of automation looked better than hiring someone and was considered acceptable to customers a business will make that investment if they have the capital or credit to do so. Just look at the level of automation that already exists in a typical fast food kitchen.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:33 AM

6,692 posts, read 3,241,688 times
Quote:
I would rather just pay welfare for what it is than subsidize some greasy sleasy scum ball who tries to pass himself off as a "business owner".

Most town centers have a very limited slots of prime real estate and if I were city council I would not want some greasy sleaze occuping that space no matter how much cheap consumers were willing to patronize to save a buck and sell out their fellow man.
There is no complex test to verify if someone is a business owner. Do they own a business? If yes, then they are indeed a business owner and don't need to try to pass themselves off as such since paying a wage some resentful guy on the internet thinks is appropriate isn't a requirement.

Interesting the dramatic "sell out their fellow man" comment, do you not patronize any businesses that pay less than minimum wage? Do you not buy any products that were assembled by workers making less than $20/hour? Open up whatever device you're typing this on, where do the parts come from? What about the clothes you're wearing? Were the veggies in your fridge picked by someone named Juan who worked in the sun for $9/hour to pick so you could buy them cheaply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics