Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 02:25 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times

Advertisements

On the side, constantly screwing with your HR's payroll is a great way to lose credibility incredibly quickly. I have recommended people be passed over for a promotion because they are focused on gaming the system (as I saw it) and not on the things that would make the company better and allow for higher pay.

There's a million ways to do your taxes. Don't involve your employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 02:54 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Family of 5 married claiming 7 state, 9 federal January through November. In December they change the dependents to 5 federal 5 state. Earning $140,000.
His reason is that he won't get "caught" that way.
I earn the same, have same family size and claim 6 state, 7federal. I don't change my allowances in December, and have never had a problem. I get very little back in taxes.
Ok, ready? Go!
You can claim whatever you want on withholding, you're only hurting yourself come tax time when you file with the IRS. Your tax preparer shouldn't let you lie. Self-submit and you're just lying to yourself and many others.

I understand certain things may cause you to legitimately claim more exemptions than you have children. For example:

Enter "1" if you are single and have only one job / married filing jointly and have only one job

Enter "1" if no one else can claim you as a dependent

But family of 5 meaning 3 kids, you're WAY overboard on exemptions. You'd better be putting some back for what you'll owe. Just saying.

Unless he's been able to come out ahead in previous years itemizing and claiming this nonsense, I don't see how this can possibly work.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

But family of 5 meaning 3 kids, you're WAY overboard on exemptions. You'd better be putting some back for what you'll owe. Just saying.

Unless he's been able to come out ahead in previous years itemizing and claiming this nonsense, I don't see how this can possibly work.
it works because he switches the dependents back to five in December. to me that's red flags everywhere. That's why I presented the scenario here.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
it works because he switches the dependents back to five in December. to me that's red flags everywhere. That's why I presented the scenario here.
That system won't work for him next year. The W-4 is changing to actual dollars, not "exemptions"

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf and/or post #8

Old 12-21-2019, 09:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
On the side, constantly screwing with your HR's payroll is a great way to lose credibility incredibly quickly. I have recommended people be passed over for a promotion because they are focused on gaming the system (as I saw it) and not on the things that would make the company better and allow for higher pay.

I'd agree that burdening your employer's HR team to slightly optimize your payroll cashflow (at risk of paying a penalty later on) is a bad idea, but I'd argue what you did in response is even worse. To the impacted employees and their coworkers it will appear that promotion decisions are arbitrary; that's completely toxic to work output generally and retention of stronger people and will hurt the company a lot more than the extra HR workload the people doing this nonsense are imposing. It's a disproportionate and harmful response.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:35 AM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

If the employer has an automated system, like mine does, HR doesn't get involved, and there's no impact on anyone in payroll processing.

Changing deductions is not "gaming" the system. I've done it to change cash flow a few times. It's my money, my choice.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
You seem to think that the exemptions claimed in the middle of the tax year have some sort of impact on the amount of tax liability you have. That isn't the case at all.

You could theoretically be single and claim 20 exemptions, lowering your tax withholding to virtually nothing. However, at the end of the year, when you file your taxes and submit your status as single, taking the standard deduction only, you will have the same tax liability as a person who claimed no exemptions throughout the the year.

The difference is you would have had more take home pay throughout the year, and owe every single tax dollar when you file. The other person would have had less take home pay throughout the year, and will owe little, or get a refund, when filing.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I knew more people going the opposite direction. They took fewer deductions in order to have a big tax refund. For whatever reasons.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 PM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
They haven't done any illegal or even remotely unethical.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
You can claim zero or claim 20 - either is valid and is not considered cheating. The difference comes at tax time, how much pay or get back although there is potentially a penalty for underpaying estimated taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics