U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2019, 06:06 PM
 
Location: New York
868 posts, read 713,959 times
Reputation: 1626

Advertisements

Family of 5 married claiming 7 state, 9 federal January through November. In December they change the dependents to 5 federal 5 state. Earning $140,000.
His reason is that he won't get "caught" that way.
I earn the same, have same family size and claim 6 state, 7federal. I don't change my allowances in December, and have never had a problem. I get very little back in taxes.
Ok, ready? Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2019, 06:19 PM
 
75,654 posts, read 75,072,635 times
Reputation: 52956
Withholding is up to you ...if you don’t pay in in enough there is interest and penalties.

It has nothing to do with your actual taxes you file
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 06:22 PM
 
Location: SoCal
15,264 posts, read 7,315,867 times
Reputation: 12274
They will pay eventually, but it’s not cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 06:33 PM
 
Location: New York
868 posts, read 713,959 times
Reputation: 1626
Welp, that was easy. Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 07:50 PM
 
2,977 posts, read 1,137,951 times
Reputation: 7855
I used to withhold for 10 throughout the year even though I was a single mother. I was in NJ and had a big mortgage and high property taxes (which were all deductible back then). I nearly always got a refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,784 posts, read 8,972,104 times
Reputation: 17088
Not cheating, as long as you declare the correct number of deductions on your annual taxes when you file.

You may owe a large amount because you took too many exemptions during the year, but that is your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2019, 09:07 AM
 
312 posts, read 67,552 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Not cheating, as long as you declare the correct number of deductions on your annual taxes when you file.

You may owe a large amount because you took too many exemptions during the year, but that is your problem.

Exactly. Also if one has to pay themselves at least send an estimated tax form and payment. Send something because come up short there are penalties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2019, 10:58 AM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,484 posts, read 8,897,887 times
Reputation: 7656
Be aware that the IRS is in the process of issuing a re-designed Form W-4 for 2020. It will no longer use "exemptions", but will directly calculate a dollar amount to be withheld.

A draft of the new form, and more details, can be seen here:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/fw4--dft.pdf

EDIT: actually the new form and instructions has been released at:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Last edited by reed303; 12-21-2019 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2019, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,784 posts, read 8,972,104 times
Reputation: 17088
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Be aware that the IRS is in the process of issuing a re-designed Form W-4 for 2020. It will no longer use "exemptions", but will directly calculate a dollar amount to be withheld.

A draft of the new form, and more details, can be seen here:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/fw4--dft.pdf

EDIT: actually the new form and instructions has been released at:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf
Thanks for the info. Long overdue. I have been doing this already by manually estimating my tax liability and calculating the number of exemptions I should claim. It was a backwards way of determining withholding, but worked for me.

The only thing this new form seems not to do is calculate the necessary withholding for self employment tax if one spouse is self-employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,484 posts, read 8,897,887 times
Reputation: 7656
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thanks for the info. Long overdue. I have been doing this already by manually estimating my tax liability and calculating the number of exemptions I should claim. It was a backwards way of determining withholding, but worked for me.

The only thing this new form seems not to do is calculate the necessary withholding for self employment tax if one spouse is self-employed.
In that case, the form suggests using IRS's on-line estimator ( at www.irs.gov/W4App) to arrive at the number to put on the W-4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top