U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:57 AM

7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like i said , making money is about doing the things others can't or won't . those that excel at being creative or adaptive will do fine . those who can't or won't will not do to well and will just find all sorts of excuses . others float like a cork in water to wherever they land .

most americans are lazy . they only want to do what they do which for most is nothing since it is the path of least resistance , no attempt at anything new or morphing
Do you think thats because our intellectual property laws are so weak for the little guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:32 AM

75,653 posts, read 75,072,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Do you think thats because our intellectual property laws are so weak for the little guy?
no , people are inherently lazy and hate change , or morphing in to new things ... most americans just fail to keep up and put themselves in a place where either location wise or skill wise their skills are not worth much.

they hope what they did and keep doing pans out even though it does not and there is little reason that should change . they are still fighting the last war .

those who tend to succeed regroup and change tactics

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-26-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , people are inherently lazy and hate change , or morphing in to new things ... most americans just fail to keep up and put themselves in a place where either location wise or skill wise their skills are not worth much.

they hope what they did and keep doing pans out even though it does not and there is little reason that should change . they are still fighting the last war .

those who tend to succeed regroup and change tactics
The problem is it is an economic war, but in an economic war you cant put your enemy in the ground and so thus have to end up fighting and endless exhausting war forever. People dont mind working hard, they just dont want to work themselves into an early grave.

So where do we draw the line and enter into a shooting war in order to put our economic enemies into the ground so we can finally take a break?

Old 12-26-2019, 04:33 AM

75,653 posts, read 75,072,635 times
i can't say what others should do ,.

i can only say what i did or our kids and their spouses did to be successful at what they do . so far we managed to all stay ahead of the curve so it has not been a problem. all have very successful careers so far ..

i have no idea what others should do , could do or will do ... i ain't smart enough to have the answers and not my problem to solve . i had enough of an issue keeping me moving forward over the years and constantly morphing to where others weren't with my own limited skills and no degrees . . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-26-2019 at 04:47 AM..

Old 12-27-2019, 05:39 PM

5,350 posts, read 976,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Did millions of people have 5 and 6 figure debt while making less than $20/hr and housing was over 300k for something thats not rat infest crap hole?

Its not about recession its about the details of what the recession looked like.

Did a new car cost 70 grand while people are making $20/hr?
Going into debt is a personal choice and decision. Most people back then were paragons of morality, stolid, persons of probity. They would not go into debt without good reason, such as buying a farm, home, or education. They did not put tacos on their credit card.

Regarding housing, I agree with you there. A friend of mine always brings up how his dad bought a lakefront home and raised a family while working as a butcher in the 1950s-60s.

You can buy a new car for under $20,000. And with proper maintenance, it will go 20 years/ 300,000 miles. The cars back then were toast after 5 or so years and 100,000 miles.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:48 PM

3,386 posts, read 2,810,069 times
Consumers tend to be more or less consistent with their habits. If the world of finance is indeed improving as other fields, such as communications and digital tech are, then the result should less volatility around the baseline growth rate.

I believe this is the case. I think the wealth of information and data and ease of trading has allowed the financial big wigs, from the Fed to the average C-D investor, just to be better at what they do, and this is why we have less sharp upswings and downswings than previously. This has been the case from 1800 to 1900, and again from 1900 to 2000. Back in the day huge depressions/recessions were fairly common. Now they are rare.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

1,272 posts, read 605,985 times
people going crazy spending money like 2008 was so last decade.

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Going into debt is a personal choice and decision. Most people back then were paragons of morality, stolid, persons of probity. They would not go into debt without good reason, such as buying a farm, home, or education. They did not put tacos on their credit card.

Regarding housing, I agree with you there. A friend of mine always brings up how his dad bought a lakefront home and raised a family while working as a butcher in the 1950s-60s.

You can buy a new car for under $20,000. And with proper maintenance, it will go 20 years/ 300,000 miles. The cars back then were toast after 5 or so years and 100,000 miles.
Its technically a personal choice but when said credit is made avalibe to alot of people and people chooose to take it it creates a bidding war of sorts running up the costs for everyone else.

If the Fed drasticly raised the interest rates and made credit much harder to get prices would naturally come WAY down (unless the commodity was truely scarce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or