Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 02:00 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times

Advertisements

We only avoided a recession by blowing up a huge "everything bubble". We will eventually pay the piper and deservedly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 02:24 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
But it does matter, it drives behavior to debt rather than bank rolling the buisness through accumulated interest on savings. That’s a HUGE difference.

One means bankruptcy with you msny bad months the other means less vacations etc.
It does tend to. It also encourages consumption and growth.

Modern sovereign economies are using the power of their fiat more. IMO there is enough slack here to provide more for the people without necessarily creating more inflation. Or onerous inflation. i.e. more new central moneys for infrastructure, education, HC.

I'd much rather be living under a low interest and inflation environment vs high, and I'm old enough to have done both.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Newsflash, the decade ends with 2020, not 2019! This decade is 2011 thru 2020. For the mathematically challenged, there was no year "zero". So year 1 thru 10 is the first decade, etc, etc, etc....
OK. But the '20' is a 'new' round number to start with.
We will soon be in the 20's decade for all of us uninformed.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It does tend to. It also encourages consumption and growth.

Modern sovereign economies are using the power of their fiat more. IMO there is enough slack here to provide more for the people without necessarily creating more inflation. Or onerous inflation. i.e. more new central moneys for infrastructure, education, HC.

I'd much rather be living under a low interest and inflation environment vs high, and I'm old enough to have done both.
Depends on how you do buisness. Depends on how disaplined you are at saving money.

People with high levels of liquidity want high interest rates so they can use the interest earnings to bank roll the buisness without a bank breathing down their neck.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:41 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Is this fueling a super-correction......or does this speak to a new-normal, government using any and all means to stop any significant and sustained financial-correction????
They no longer speak of recessions or even the possibility of one unless it comes unexpected, like the 2006-2007 financial crisis.

The Powers that Be are pretty much determined to spend TRILLIONS every year to keep the party going. Which is normally seen in times of WAR...

Old 12-24-2019, 02:50 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
They no longer speak of recessions or even the possibility of one unless it comes unexpected, like the 2006-2007 financial crisis.

The Powers that Be are pretty much determined to spend TRILLIONS every year to keep the party going. Which is normally seen in times of WAR...

Janet Yellen - I don't believe the next financial crisis will be "in our lifetimes." LOL. As the Fed dumps around $100 billion DAILY now to stem the run on the repo markets as liquidity dries up......And don't forget the renewed $60 billion per month in treasury purchases on top of that.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Depends on how you do buisness. Depends on how disaplined you are at saving money.

People with high levels of liquidity want high interest rates so they can use the interest earnings to bank roll the buisness without a bank breathing down their neck.
I rather like borrowing at low rates.

I built a home at 14% in 1980. (I could have walked away 14% or higher)Soon converted to an ARM, and rates only went down from there.
I built a home in 1984 at 10%, starting with an ARM. And rates only went down from there. 0 now, paid off.
My kids listened to me, waited after the 2008 crash, and then bought at the interest rate nadir some years back. Cheapest house on an expensive Hollywood Hills block. Their asset has inflated quite nicely.

I don't know anyone pushing for, hoping for, or taking a liking to higher interest rates. Except maybe lenders.

In the early '80's I was getting 19% on some second deeds of trust, 13% in the MM. But inflation was so high at the time, those great returns were an illusion.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:07 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
OK. But the '20' is a 'new' round number to start with.
We will soon be in the 20's decade for all of us uninformed.

So which was the "leap decade" where we gained a year? Or do you claim there was a year "zero"??????

Old 12-24-2019, 03:16 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
I rather like borrowing at low rates.

I built a home at 14% in 1980. (I could have walked away 14% or higher)Soon converted to an ARM, and rates only went down from there.
I built a home in 1984 at 10%, starting with an ARM. And rates only went down from there. 0 now, paid off.
My kids listened to me, waited after the 2008 crash, and then bought at the interest rate nadir some years back. Cheapest house on an expensive Hollywood Hills block. Their asset has inflated quite nicely.

I don't know anyone pushing for, hoping for, or taking a liking to higher interest rates. Except maybe lenders.

In the early '80's I was getting 19% on some second deeds of trust, 13% in the MM. But inflation was so high at the time, those great returns were an illusion.

I think going interest rate of 30% on all loans be about right. Get out of this debt based economy silliness. You want some consumer item, you save up and pay cash on the barrelhead. Right now our economy is based on selling ever more stuff to ever more people on the easy payment plan. Trouble is you eventually run out of people that arent up to their eyeballs in debt. Loans have a place, but not as the basis of an economy.

Either that or you disallow any discharge of debt, much like current student debt. Hold those speculators' feet to the fire for their lifetime. Gamble with borrowed money at your own peril. Cause you cant just write it off. Put em in debtors' prison. ARe there no prisons, are there no workhouses? Our current president would be in debtors' prison right now.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So which was the "leap decade" where we gained a year? Or do you claim there was a year "zero"??????
Many people are not very concerned with such detail/exactness, and like to deal in iconic round numbers. In the future they will talk of the 20's decade, 1/1/2020-12/31/2029. As inexact as you say that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics