Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 03:56 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times

Advertisements

Let's take a quick look at "the greatest economy ever" and some things going on behind the curtain and this is in "boom" times lol.

Record balance sheet expansion by the Fed over the past 3 months. $100s of billions being pumped into the repo markets by the Fed to prop them up. $60 billion in month treasury purchases. Just yesterday, the Fed bought $825 million of mortgage bonds, sold none. Trump wants negative rates. $1 trillion+ deficit. $23 trillion national debt.

Check out this article quoting Trump in 2016 linked here.

From the article:

Trump in 2016 - Trump said rates are being kept lower to bolster Obama’s legacy. “Any increase at all will be a very, very small increase because they want to keep the market up so Obama goes out and let the new guy ... raise interest rates ... and watch what happens in the stock market.”

Doubting whether rates would change while Obama remains in office, Trump said: ”[Obama] wants to go out. He wants to play golf for the rest of this life. And he doesn’t care what’s going to happen after January.”

American savers are the worst hit by the Fed’s easy monetary policies, Trump said. “The ones who did it right — they saved their money [and] they cut down on their mortgages, ... and now they’re practically getting zero interest on the money.”

As a real estate businessman, Trump said: “I love low interest rates,” but for the good of the nation, rates should be higher.

LOL we seem to have had a "180."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 04:49 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
The fiscal conservatives along with the tea party are nowhere to be found.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Here I am. You found me.

The poster above me can now be seen as not truthful.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:41 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Politics is a funny thing. People only selectively remember things, actively avoid sources and things that challenge their beliefs.

Sit down with a religious person, it's exactly the same thing. They have to believe in something, they actively protect their beliefs and even challenged shrug off everything that doesn't fit their narrative. They don't care about the truth, they only care and allow information that fits their bias to be processed.

Cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias are powerful. You see this in the left and the right although right now the right is in the spotlight because they have to defend Trump. 90% of that idiot's problems would be solved if he just shut up.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:24 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,222,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Let's take a quick look at "the greatest economy ever" and some things going on behind the curtain and this is in "boom" times lol.

Record balance sheet expansion by the Fed over the past 3 months. $100s of billions being pumped into the repo markets by the Fed to prop them up. $60 billion in month treasury purchases. Just yesterday, the Fed bought $825 million of mortgage bonds, sold none. Trump wants negative rates. $1 trillion+ deficit. $23 trillion national debt.

From the article:

Trump in 2016 - Trump said rates are being kept lower to bolster Obama’s legacy. “Any increase at all will be a very, very small increase because they want to keep the market up so Obama goes out and let the new guy ... raise interest rates ... and watch what happens in the stock market.”

Doubting whether rates would change while Obama remains in office, Trump said: ”[Obama] wants to go out. He wants to play golf for the rest of this life. And he doesn’t care what’s going to happen after January.”

American savers are the worst hit by the Fed’s easy monetary policies, Trump said. “The ones who did it right — they saved their money [and] they cut down on their mortgages, ... and now they’re practically getting zero interest on the money.”

As a real estate businessman, Trump said: “I love low interest rates,” but for the good of the nation, rates should be higher.

Trump disappointed me when he began to attack Powell and the FED over QT. We need (needed) QT, to unwind the idiocy of QE. Trump does not see that a strong dollar gives the US enormous power and impoverishes everyone else. Which is ok cyclically. Won't QT bring on global deflation? Yes; it will. That is a necessary 1/2 of the coin. Fight it; deny it; we all know that it is true, in our hearts. We are afraid of deflation, yes. But we should not be ruled by fear. We should be ruled by Wisdom, which is both a moral attribute and a divinity.

Man tries to fight DEATH. Even though he is guaranteed to lose. It's the same story in economics.

Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2019, 08:47 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post

From the article:

Yep, Trump's not perfect. I've got to agree with you on that. However, when I consider what the alternative would have been, I breathe a sigh of relief and smile bigly knowing that my disagreements with Trump are miniscule compared to what they would be with Hillary if she were President.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:14 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
I'm worried as h*ll because both parties are fiscal disasters, just in different ways. Neither one gives a cr*p about the deficit and debt, although both pay lip service to fiscal responsibility while blaming the other party for deficits.

I'm shocked that we've been able to kick the can down the road for this long. The day of reckoning will come...and it's going to be shockingly ugly, IMO.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Fiscal conservative here.... Atheist libertarian would also be an accurate descriptor as well.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:12 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
There is no such thing as a fiscal conservative... some people think they are, but they really aren't. They'll attach themselves to one small part of the bigger picture and think that makes them a fiscal conservative. Even the so called Tea Party just wants to replace spending cuts with tax breaks & subsidies...

Old 12-28-2019, 12:50 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no such thing as a fiscal conservative... some people think they are, but they really aren't. They'll attach themselves to one small part of the bigger picture and think that makes them a fiscal conservative. Even the so called Tea Party just wants to replace spending cuts with tax breaks & subsidies...
Agreed.

Usually, 'fiscal conservative' means "raise taxes or cut spending on things I don't care about/won't affect me that much and that will fix it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics