U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2019, 03:46 PM
 
7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Reputation: 4889

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
The data is compiled from many people, representing those actual workers. People are not just going to take the word of you and your friend. Show us a 3rd party source.
Again that is a sense of entitlement on your part, data scientists make BIG money to provide this sort of information. I would be curious how often having that level of granular data actually changes the outcome of the argument or if its just a strategy of the antagonist to bog down their opponent in bolony because it does not fit with their narrative.

Why dont you provide the data. The person I know is in a very high position in govt and incredibly competent so I dont see this granular data providing a different outcome. Do SOME people in switzerland make less far less than the equivalent to $20 /hr probably but its not to the extent as in the USA.

The USA is in a really bad sitaution where ALOT of people are making really little money (not just lazy burn outs and drug attics at this point)

You can use DOL web site to get general trends of how many poeple are making less than X. You dont sharpen the pencil unless you have to ... or you have an agenda to bog the other side down because you got yours and you want to obfuscate the reality of the siutatoin because you know the fix puts you in a worse situation.

Maybe people like you in the gop should have fought a little harder against H1X visa expansion, boarder immigration, human trafficing for labor and off shoring but here we are and we still dont have an embargo against china becuase you like the cheap stuff and profits. Well all these people are not just going to disappear into the night and the time to pay the piper is comming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2019, 04:20 PM
 
712 posts, read 622,526 times
Reputation: 1632
A lot of companies raised the minimum wage they pay their employees when the tax cuts were passed. Bank of America at the time promised to raise their minimum wage to $20 by 2020, which they did, even in areas that are low cost of living. So many people benefited from the run up in the market through their retirement accounts. Tax cuts are always a good thing because it means more people keeping more of their own money and spending it how they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 06:09 PM
 
733 posts, read 308,518 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Again that is a sense of entitlement on your part, data scientists make BIG money to provide this sort of information. I would be curious how often having that level of granular data actually changes the outcome of the argument or if its just a strategy of the antagonist to bog down their opponent in bolony because it does not fit with their narrative.

Why dont you provide the data. The person I know is in a very high position in govt and incredibly competent so I dont see this granular data providing a different outcome. Do SOME people in switzerland make less far less than the equivalent to $20 /hr probably but its not to the extent as in the USA.

The USA is in a really bad sitaution where ALOT of people are making really little money (not just lazy burn outs and drug attics at this point)

You can use DOL web site to get general trends of how many poeple are making less than X. You dont sharpen the pencil unless you have to ... or you have an agenda to bog the other side down because you got yours and you want to obfuscate the reality of the siutatoin because you know the fix puts you in a worse situation.

Maybe people like you in the gop should have fought a little harder against H1X visa expansion, boarder immigration, human trafficing for labor and off shoring but here we are and we still dont have an embargo against china becuase you like the cheap stuff and profits. Well all these people are not just going to disappear into the night and the time to pay the piper is comming.
No, the sense of entitlement is clearly on your part. You also have a habit of throwing numbers around without any facts to back them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 06:18 PM
 
733 posts, read 308,518 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually the minimum wage in Germany is 9.19 euros and the average fast food worker earns 10 euros per hour, but whether it's 9 or 10 you need to look at the local cost of living, right?

A one bedroom apartment in Frankfurt rents for 250 Euros and 846 Euros in Stuttgart. In Phoenix the minimum wage is $11 and the median rent for a one bedroom apartment is $1171. In Miami the minimum wage is $8.46 and the median 1 bedroom apartment rents for $1,995.

So..you tell me if you were a fast food worker where would you have a better chance of being able to afford a place to live, in Germany, or in the US?
So the number reported on Glassdoor is around the minimum and rounds to 9 Euro. It is basically what I said and linked to. I have no idea where you are getting your rent number for Frankfurt. See these links:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...nkfurt-am-main

https://www.studying-in-germany.org/...ng-in-germany/

Don’t expect to live on your own in a major city, or for most other places, for that matter, if you only qualify for a minimum wage job.

Last edited by Jim1921; 12-24-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
32,845 posts, read 14,865,925 times
Reputation: 23634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
So the number reported on Glassdoor is around the minimum and rounds to 9 Euro. It is basically what I said and linked to. I have no idea where you are getting your rent number for Frankfurt. See these links:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...nkfurt-am-main

https://www.studying-in-germany.org/...ng-in-germany/

Don’t expect to live on your own in a major city, or for most other places, for that matter, if you only qualify for a minimum wage job.
No Jim, fastfood workers even in the US usually make more than minimum wage, in Germany the average is 10 euros. You want figures Jim, ok here you go:

Average fast food worker wage in Germany is 10 euros https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/fa...worker/germany

Frankfurt 1 bedroom rent 250 Euros
Quote:
Frankfurt (Oder) is a small town in the east of Germany, near the border with Poland. The cost of living in this place is really reasonable. For instance, if you look for a one-bedroom apartment in Frankfurt (Oder) with a bit of luck you can find one at the center of the city with a monthly rent of only €250. https://www.studying-in-germany.org/...ent-in-germany
And you can't escape the fact that while rent in Germany is cheaper than in the US, in some cases it's 1/4 - 1/3 what an equivalent apartment in the US would be, and a wage of 10 euros per hour ($11.08 USD) is higher than that paid in most states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 PM
 
7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Reputation: 4889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
No, the sense of entitlement is clearly on your part. You also have a habit of throwing numbers around without any facts to back them up.
Expecting free wotk is entitlement. If you disagree with my posts, whatever, but I’m under no obligation to do free work because you say so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2019, 09:12 PM
 
7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Reputation: 4889
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No Jim, fastfood workers even in the US usually make more than minimum wage, in Germany the average is 10 euros. You want figures Jim, ok here you go:

Average fast food worker wage in Germany is 10 euros https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/fa...worker/germany

Frankfurt 1 bedroom rent 250 Euros

And you can't escape the fact that while rent in Germany is cheaper than in the US, in some cases it's 1/4 - 1/3 what an equivalent apartment in the US would be, and a wage of 10 euros per hour ($11.08 USD) is higher than that paid in most states.
That does not fit the gop narrative though and it’s “socialism”, even though it Isent. And hope abor extended unemployment and difficult processes to do mass lay offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2019, 04:36 AM
 
733 posts, read 308,518 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No Jim, fastfood workers even in the US usually make more than minimum wage, in Germany the average is 10 euros. You want figures Jim, ok here you go:

Average fast food worker wage in Germany is 10 euros https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/fa...worker/germany

Frankfurt 1 bedroom rent 250 Euros

And you can't escape the fact that while rent in Germany is cheaper than in the US, in some cases it's 1/4 - 1/3 what an equivalent apartment in the US would be, and a wage of 10 euros per hour ($11.08 USD) is higher than that paid in most states.
Can you read? The rent you quoted is from Frankfurt Oder, not Frankfurt (the major city). Frankfurt Oder is a small town near the boarder with Poland. Look further down the article you linked to and you will sent the rent for Frankfurt (the major city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2019, 04:38 AM
 
733 posts, read 308,518 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That does not fit the gop narrative though and it’s “socialism”, even though it Isent. And hope abor extended unemployment and difficult processes to do mass lay offs.
You didn’t even read the link by 2sleepy to catch his/her error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2019, 04:40 AM
 
733 posts, read 308,518 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Expecting free wotk is entitlement. If you disagree with my posts, whatever, but I’m under no obligation to do free work because you say so
No one is asking for free work. Instead, if you make a claim, be prepared to back it up. Instead, you just see, to make it up as you go. Tell us again about those $30 cheeseburgers in Germany and Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top