U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 03:55 PM

32,845 posts, read 14,865,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea in the heart of one of the biggest cities in Germany. How much would rent cost in manhatten?

So basicly rent in the most central largest city is the price of a medium to large town in the USA ...
Or less, look at this listing of Frankfurt 'main' apartments, studio with pool, sauna and parking for 470 € https://rentberry.com/de/apartments/...sort=price:asc

My guess is that it would be difficult to rent a single wide trailer in Appalachia for that, but hey..what do I know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 04:09 PM

733 posts, read 308,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There was no error, the article was specific in saying that the 250 euro apartment is in an older section of Frankfurt. But you want to seize on that rather than admitting that the US sucks for low wage workers, compare the highest rent of all the German cities shown at 1,094.30€ that would be an annual rent of 13,131.6 € A fast food employee working 40 hours a week @ 10 € per hour would gross 20,800 € per year. Compare that to Miami where the average salary of a fast food worker is $8.50 an hour or $16,320 a year and the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $1,995 or $23,940 per year. My guess is that you could do this math for every European Country and rent would always be more affordable to a low wage worker than it is in the US. But you apparently have decided not to admit the obvious and instead quarrel about the rent in Frankfurt.
The article is not wrong, you are wrong Frankfurt Oder is not part of Frankfurt main. Look it up on the map. Frankfurt Oder is a small town on the boarder of Poland. It is NOT a major city in Germany. The fast food worker will have the same problem of affording rent in Frankfurt as would anyone else trying to do so in almost every major city in the world.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I do back it up I just dont do exhaustive research at someones demand. The only time additional data is warrented is if there is a political will to make changes on said data.

The issue today is that no matter what the data said people like you are not backing down. You want your rights to dirty strip malls, low wage jobs and enviornmental destruction so long as YOU are turning a healthy profit.

As long as your turning a profit you dont really care so why dig up the data?

All the indicators are showing the opposite of what you are claiming because:
1. if things were as great as you say they are I would have had 5-10 6 figure job offers in my inbox when I was unemployed with full move packages. After all if employers are hard up for people the pot would get sweeter ... no?
2. We would not see exponential growth (or close to exponential growth) of homelessness and near homelessness
3. I would not have seen pages and pages of low wage mcjob postings all over the country (or super-specialized niche skill jobs) when I was on linkedin jobs, indeed, etc. When things are supposedly booming you should not have to delve into the secret handshake job market in cigar smoke-filled rooms for one singular offer ... no?
4. And I did do the DOL search and 60% of people in the USA are making 20$/hr or less, seeing as how most people live in high cost of living areas (since I saw almost no people in rural midwest when I traveled for job interviews). $20/hr is not good money anywhere other than maybe the middle of nowhere iowa ... maybe, even then its just ok money, its not im going to buy land, put up a building and start manufacturing something without a loan kind of money.

Do you see how your narrative falls apart ... of course not because you're turning a profit and you don't care, your goal is disinformation to keep people voting against their own best interests.

The goal of the crony capitaliist is to keep their cash flow going even if it means intellecutal dishonesty or comitting white collar crimes.

Do situations arise where some employer like GE needs some SUPER niche skills set like turbine techs or rotating equipment engineers, sure, but they dont support these people gradation to retirement so specializing in these things is a massive career risk unless you are part owner in a buisness and cant be fired or laid off. Lay offs are devestating to people who specialize and companies are proving they are willing to let you go at the drop of a hat, of course thats not a problem until it starts causing the crony capitalist cash flow problems because so few people are doing it anymore.
No, you don’t do any research. You just make statements that are not supported by facts or opinions. Your one “proof source” is a friend running for political office. You might as well refer to your barber or the local bartender. The lack of offers in your inbox should tell you that you are doing something wrong.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yea in the heart of one of the biggest cities in Germany. How much would rent cost in manhattan ... san fran?

So basicly rent in the most central largest city is the price of a medium to large town in the USA ...
Frankfurt is higher than 2 sleepy quoted since he doesn’t know the difference between Frankfurt Oder and Frankfurt. Also, Frankfurt is hardly comparable to NYC. NYC is more comparable to London, Paris, Zurich, Hong Kong, etc. Check the size of the population and the businesses in each respective market.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Or less, look at this listing of Frankfurt 'main' apartments, studio with pool, sauna and parking for 470 € https://rentberry.com/de/apartments/...sort=price:asc

My guess is that it would be difficult to rent a single wide trailer in Appalachia for that, but hey..what do I know
You need to look at averages or comparables. Minimum wage in Manhattan is $15/hr. You can go on Craigslist and find places under $1000 (which are small places similar to your latest link). As said before, a fast food worker should not expect to live on their own in most major cities around the world.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:33 PM

7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
The article is not wrong, you are wrong Frankfurt Oder is not part of Frankfurt main. Look it up on the map. Frankfurt Oder is a small town on the boarder of Poland. It is NOT a major city in Germany. The fast food worker will have the same problem of affording rent in Frankfurt as would anyone else trying to do so in almost every major city in the world.
Considering Germany is a small country with great public transit, how hard would it be for someone to live outside the area they work and just commute in on rail? How hard would it be for them to negotiate modified hours to accomodate said commute? All these things play into quality of life. In the USA we have a habit of "take it or leave it" employment. Oh you dont like working till 1am, thats too bad those are the hours, where in Germany there may be more rules on stuff like that.

Also my $30 cheeseburger reference was specifically for Switzerland not Germany. Its why my friend never ventured into Switzerland from Germany because everything was super expensive.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Considering Germany is a small country with great public transit, how hard would it be for someone to live outside the area they work and just commute in on rail? How hard would it be for them to negotiate modified hours to accomodate said commute? All these things play into quality of life. In the USA we have a habit of "take it or leave it" employment. Oh you dont like working till 1am, thats too bad those are the hours, where in Germany there may be more rules on stuff like that.

Also my $30 cheeseburger reference was specifically for Switzerland not Germany. Its why my friend never ventured into Switzerland from Germany because everything was super expensive.
It has good public transportation around the cities (I have been there), but NYC does as well. Where is your source for the $30 cheeseburger. The Macdonald’s Big Mac is only about a dollar higher in Zurich versus the US.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...zerland-2019-2

Old 12-25-2019, 05:45 PM

7,656 posts, read 3,367,239 times
Quote:
No, you don’t do any research. You just make statements that are not supported by facts or opinions. Your one “proof source” is a friend running for political office. You might as well refer to your barber or the local bartender. The lack of offers in your inbox should tell you that you are doing something wrong.
I am not alone in difficulty of finding proper employment in my past. I have read numerous articles and youtube channels about engineering having difficulties. This is not just me.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:37 PM

32,845 posts, read 14,865,925 times
Quote:
You're wrong.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
You're wrong.
Google is your friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_(Oder)

Read the link and pull up the map. Frankfurt Oder is not even close to Frankfurt the major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or