U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2019, 03:41 PM
 
8,985 posts, read 9,637,031 times
Reputation: 7609

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
You forgot to add the Fed's renewed Quantitative Easing in the form of $100s of billions of dollars being pumped into the repo markets, renewed treasury purchases of $60 billion per month, and record balance sheet expansion over the duration of the past 3 months. All for the "greatest economy ever."
Yea, no. The recent efforts in the repo markets are not QE. It's a low information move to claim so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2019, 04:23 PM
 
4,811 posts, read 2,922,959 times
Reputation: 11653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Why is there such a budget deficit with Trump's great economy?
That's what I'd like to know.

Trump claims he "inherited a massive budget deficit from the Democrats".

But all it has done under him is GROW and get LARGER.

IF he really wants to DO something, reduce the deficit, and I don't mean by building a wall.

( Note: I am neither pro Trump nor anti-Trump)

Just saying....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2019, 04:29 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 491,139 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea, no. The recent efforts in the repo markets are not QE. It's a low information move to claim so.
Well ED, I would saying claiming the Fed's record-setting balance sheet expansion over the past 3 months or so is NOT easing is "a low information move."

Anyone actually interested in looking at the facts rather than hearing Fed officials massage the truth about their current easing measures, check it out on their own website:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monet...centtrends.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2019, 04:45 PM
 
8,985 posts, read 9,637,031 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Well ED, I would saying claiming the Fed's record-setting balance sheet expansion over the past 3 months or so is NOT easing is "a low information move."

Anyone actually interested in looking at the facts rather than hearing Fed officials massage the truth about their current easing measures, check it out on their own website:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monet...centtrends.htm


Facts?


8th grade version.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-t-call-it-qe

______________________

A growing balance sheet does not equal QE. It's naive and silly to claim so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2019, 05:03 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 491,139 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Facts?


8th grade version.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-t-call-it-qe

______________________

A growing balance sheet does not equal QE. It's naive and silly to claim so.

Citing an opinion piece from Bloomberg doesn't cut it for "facts" lol. Come on ED, you have to do better than that. The fact is the Fed is increasing their balance sheet at a record rate over the past 3 months. That is easing. An 8th grader would understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2019, 05:17 PM
 
8,985 posts, read 9,637,031 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Citing an opinion piece from Bloomberg doesn't cut it for "facts" lol. Come on ED, you have to do better than that. The fact is the Fed is increasing their balance sheet at a record rate over the past 3 months. That is easing. An 8th grader would understand that.
Obviously, you didn't read the piece. Focus on the demand for US money part if you want to learn something.

Instead of flailing think about it for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Status: "I accept science. I reject populist nationalism." (set 21 days ago)
 
6,480 posts, read 2,365,402 times
Reputation: 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
1. The Green New Deal. The plan misunderstands climate complexity just as much as Sanders’ billionaires narrative misunderstands the economy. But most frustratingly, supporters present a 12-year doomsday clock and then pile on a wishlist of not-even-remotely-related progressive policies.
Worst economic idea is the Republican Party's endorsement of climate change denial.

Doing nothing on climate change is economically destructive, as the increasing frequency and severity of weather disasters destroys businesses, productivity, job losses, bankruptcies, and so on. This isn't speculation, it's been happening over the last several years and it's getting worse. Secondary effects are rippling through the economy now, especially homeowner insurance rates, as the industry is pricing in higher risks due to climate change.

Should Congress ever implement the GND, those abstract ideas will have to be translated into actual real world projects. Constructing green energy power plants and upgrading the national electric grid are stimulative, just as any public infrastructure projects are.

Strong climate action is a net positive for the economy through disaster cost avoidance and the stimulative multiplier effect of new infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2019, 11:36 AM
 
1,998 posts, read 491,139 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Worst economic idea is the Republican Party's endorsement of climate change denial.
Very few people deny the climate changes as the climate has changed since the inception of the Earth. The rub is that humans are contributing to said climate change. Because many understand and are leery of the hackneyed tricks the power mongers use for a money grab from the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 PM
 
5,986 posts, read 3,216,694 times
Reputation: 10901
Don't forget student loan bailouts, free college, and reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Status: "I accept science. I reject populist nationalism." (set 21 days ago)
 
6,480 posts, read 2,365,402 times
Reputation: 8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Very few people deny the climate changes as the climate has changed since the inception of the Earth. The rub is that humans are contributing to said climate change.
There is no "rub." Science has proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that human consumption of fossil fuels is warming the planet. We have raised the CO2 level by 40% in 100 years -- it is physically impossible for the planet not to warm when the atmosphere is changed that much.

Climate change is so solid that arguing against it is like arguing against gravity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top