U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 01:59 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,216,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no such thing as a fiscal conservative... some people think they are, but they really aren't. They'll attach themselves to one small part of the bigger picture and think that makes them a fiscal conservative. Even the so called Tea Party just wants to replace spending cuts with tax breaks & subsidies...

Disagree that in your premise. The issue is that the population has been conditioned for government to solve all there problems. There is little to no political support for true fiscal conservatism as it means cutting yourself off at the knees. If you truly want to solve our deficit issue one must attack our government spending which includes DOD, DOE, and entitlements (social security, medicare, medicaid, unemployment payments, welfare, federal/civilian retirements,etc...). Every single government program must receive a cut and most departments require significant restructuring.

We're talking about wholesale changes to our way of life and ripping off the band-aid; which will **** everyone off. If you want to know if something is working or the right thing for American then it's a policy that equally pisses off Dems & repubs the elderly and the youth. If you've made everybody angry and made them feel the pain then you know it's the correct solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 03:21 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,058,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed.

Usually, 'fiscal conservative' means "raise taxes or cut spending on things I don't care about/won't affect me that much and that will fix it".
It also means "I don't want my money/taxes going to Blacks/Hispanics/flyover states, etc."

Old 12-28-2019, 03:36 PM

398 posts, read 179,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm worried as h*ll because both parties are fiscal disasters, just in different ways. Neither one gives a cr*p about the deficit and debt, although both pay lip service to fiscal responsibility while blaming the other party for deficits.

I'm shocked that we've been able to kick the can down the road for this long. The day of reckoning will come...and it's going to be shockingly ugly, IMO.
I totally agree and am somewhat suprised to see you post that.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Status: "Tickyul >>> ARRESTED for not having health-insurance!" (set 13 days ago)

17,310 posts, read 17,366,266 times
The government-sponsored financial-flimflammery started a long time ago......it just got a LOT deeper after the "great recession".

Old 12-28-2019, 05:10 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,253,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Politics is a funny thing. People only selectively remember things, actively avoid sources and things that challenge their beliefs.

Sit down with a religious person, it's exactly the same thing. They have to believe in something, they actively protect their beliefs and even challenged shrug off everything that doesn't fit their narrative. They don't care about the truth, they only care and allow information that fits their bias to be processed.

Cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias are powerful. You see this in the left and the right although right now the right is in the spotlight because they have to defend Trump. 90% of that idiot's problems would be solved if he just shut up.
I'm also religious and care about truth. So this proves you are not honest.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:25 PM

19,175 posts, read 18,839,576 times
Someone who is a fiscal conservative would look at their budget and see what needs to be cut down... what I find funny is that most fiscal conservatives ignore our military budget. They say, well we don't need taxes because we should cut welfare etc... well what about military spending, that is the real out of whack thing. We spend something like what the next 10 countries COMBINED? That's why I say there are no real fiscal conservatives. They like to cherry pick cute things here and there, but really they don't care about the budget. They just want to move the funds around to what they like. The Tea Party in the Republican Party is a cancer, luckily, Republicans got most of it out or got it in remission, similar to the AOC types are a cancer to the Democratic party, we will see if they are able to cure themselves.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:18 PM

2,047 posts, read 947,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
“The ones who did it right — they saved their money [and] they cut down on their mortgages, ... and now they’re practically getting zero interest on the money.”

I don't mind not making much interest on my money since I don't pay interest to anybody on anything. No mortgage, no car loans, no ongoing credit card balances.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:57 PM

2,762 posts, read 1,602,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I'm also religious and care about truth. So this proves you are not honest.
Yeah, religion is filled with logic and well thought out arguments based on historical facts which have been backed up by archeology and secular sources.

/Sarcasm

Old 12-29-2019, 10:04 AM

364 posts, read 158,021 times
It's easy to criticize, but much harder to present a WORKABLE solution. I guarantee that if congress passed a law next year that would cut spending and raise taxes such as to balance the budget, that we would quickly see a recession that rivaled the Great Depression.

That would lead to huge job losses and greatly decrease the income that the government received in the form of taxes due to all the unemployment and reduced personal spending. This would then require even greater tax increases to make up for the deficit and this would further spiral our economy downward.

Now if someone would design a bill that would gradually balance the budget over 10 to 15 years and then stick to it, that might have a chance of working without economic calamity, but the problem would be in selling the idea to everyone who doesn't want their ox to get gored.

I'm confident that there would be far more people on the left of the political spectrum who would oppose such a plan than those on the right. We already have about half of the entire US population paying ZERO income taxes and demanding even more freebies. It's hard to believe that they are going to go along with some reduction in their bennies in order to balance some budget that they're contributing nothing to in the first place. And we know that increasing taxes alone without substantial cuts in spending is not going to solve the problem. So there you have it.

Once you can convince me that all those who are contributing nothing will support the idea of receiving less in benefits from those who are carrying the load, then I'll believe that we may be able to make a balanced budget a reality. Until then, you're just casting stones without providing any meaningful, workable solution.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:04 PM

2,912 posts, read 4,039,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's easy to criticize, but much harder to present a WORKABLE solution. I guarantee that if congress passed a law next year that would cut spending and raise taxes such as to balance the budget, that we would quickly see a recession that rivaled the Great Depression.

Now if someone would design a bill that would gradually balance the budget over 10 to 15 years and then stick to it, that might have a chance of working without economic calamity, but the problem would be in selling the idea to everyone who doesn't want their ox to get gored.
Yes to the emboldened above.

However, we have gone past the tipping point where we can back up the gravy train. The number of people gaming the system has gotten out of hand and the politicians who appeal to the masses who benefit more by working less is growing. Popular democracy was always going to end up this way, and that is why the Founders chose a Republic, and warned about the dangers of factionalism in the Federalist Papers.

Best solution on a personal level is to insulate and isolate oneself to the best of your ability within the economic system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics