Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 04:01 PM

22,605 posts, read 24,427,062 times

Advertisements

You mean like....products that utilize elastic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 04:58 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,079,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
This is also a highly regulated market that would take a lot of startup capital and probably some political connections.
Depends on where you do it and how large of an operation you have. IF you built a micro refinery from the component level I think it would be totally doable. Maybe 4 people with 50k each and their own tools to start a fab shop to build out the vessels needed.

Who says it has to be a 100,000 gal a day operation. You could focus on the components from the barrel that result in more speciality products and then just sell of the rest as commodities.

This is of course just an example, but I dont get this mentality of the masses of starting the 30th pizza joint in the city and hope that your magic ingredients have people vying. You want to make things people are nearly forced to buy then your marketing costs go WAY down, etc.

Health care products only have to meet FDA if you are using a US banking account. people sell all sorts of stuff on the internet so long as no one knows where you are operating out of AND your money is not in a US bank and you dont have an off spec product your good.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 PM

3,039 posts, read 2,344,370 times
These are known as "fly by night operations."

Nobody with an IQ of over 80 is going to use an epipen or put oil or fuel in their vehicle from a fly-by-night operation. Besides, who's going to insure you?

If you want to know about good businesses, study something called "wide moats." It's a Warren Buffett term. "The Little Book that Builds Wealth" covers the four or five types of moats; there might also be info on morningstar.com. You can get full access to the site with your library card. Go to your library's site and click on "research."

Old 12-28-2019, 11:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,079,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
These are known as "fly by night operations."

Nobody with an IQ of over 80 is going to use an epipen or put oil or fuel in their vehicle from a fly-by-night operation. Besides, who's going to insure you?

If you want to know about good businesses, study something called "wide moats." It's a Warren Buffett term. "The Little Book that Builds Wealth" covers the four or five types of moats; there might also be info on morningstar.com. You can get full access to the site with your library card. Go to your library's site and click on "research."
Does he talk about how to over come the crony capitalist barriers to entry. If all you had to do was fill out a $50 application fee with the FDA and prove yoru product was on spec that would be great but I suspect thats not the case. Thats why we dont have a free market and the fact that we allow frivolus law suits has driven the prices of everything sky high.

Fly by night is going to start being the new normal with the govt creating tons of artificial barriers to entry. Insurance is a huge impediment to business and the govt allows it.

Just skimmed through this, this is good. This does not address issues where national govts want to keep other national govts from having certian technology, if you can develop said tech on your own and everyone else is beholden to govt contracts would that be a form of very extreme competitive advantage. Say if I have a desirable weapons system I develop on my own (without any contracts or security clearances involved) I can easily take this tech anywhere I want and make a ton and few if anyone can follow? These are not so much "buisnesses" as they are one time sales for BIG money but never the less the seller can stand to make ALOT of money, why are these things not addressed? I suppose they would be a form of sole proprotership?

This could actually be done multiple times because the country that has newly acquired this would not want to share it so you could sell it to another country, etc?

A similar situation arises in the manufacture of specialty chemicals used as precursors to explosives, these sell for BIG money and unlike the explosives themselves are not really regulated most notably white nitric acid. Is this just becuase these are kind of nasty chemicals to manufacture?

Last edited by pittsflyer; 12-29-2019 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-29-2019, 05:58 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,344,370 times
You must really want to end up in front of a judge.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:20 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,002,998 times
You clearly want to treat this as a political problem, and show pretty much zero knowledge about what it would actually take to build a "micro refinery" or epipen factory...even without regulation.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,877,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't know, the older I get the more I like elastic.
LOL I agree

Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,124,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Insulin and gasoline are prime examples of inelastic as well as epi pens. why wouldnt people jump into these markets. Start a metal building somewhere and run the company through an over seas shell corporation and sell this stuff online and avoid all the regulations.
In the 2020's gasoline will only be inelastic up to a point. Carmakers have invested billions in factories to produce electric vehicles and we'll see them hit the market with full force around 2022 or 2023 model year. Volkswagen will no longer make gas or diesel vehicles after 2026, they will be 100% electric. Electric car adoption will not be overnight, it'll take a few decades, but it will serve to keep a lid on gas prices. If there was a disruption in gas supply and it hit $5 or $6, electric car sales would boom.

There are numerous overseas cheap drug sellers online and have been for many years. U.S. customs and the post office to their best to intercept the packages, so it's not reliable. Quality is an issue because the drugs produced in India or wherever may be contaminated.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,221,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Why wouldnt everyone just produce things with very low market elasticity.

Wouldnt buisness have much lower probability of failure if people only produced low elasticity items?
Because then none of us would have pants that fit on Thanksgiving! Use some logic man.

SS

Old 12-29-2019, 02:52 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,784,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I guess that is a good point to bring up is that possibly toilet paper as a whole is inelastic but a premium/luxury brand of toilet paper would be extremely elastic with the availability of close substitutes.
Um, I have a Toto Washlet.
No TP required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics